View Poll Results: Which photo is your favorite?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • NFLD Stephen

9 20.93%
  • Conropl

3 6.98%
  • Nickds7

14 32.56%
  • Steve U

9 20.93%
  • Erno James

8 18.60%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: #36 - Silhouettes - Congrats Nick

#36 - Silhouettes - Congrats Nick

On behalf of Ben (btaylor) this is assignment 36: Silhouettes

"I'd like to see some super dooper silhouettes.

This might be a perfect opportunity for some of us to find an excuse to enjoy a nice bold sunset, an eye watering sunrise or just some nice even light and under exposure an interesting subject to silhouette it in the foreground, on the horizon or anywhere else your heart desires. Look forward to some creative entries. "

The following submissions have been selected as finalists:

Name: NFLD Stephen
    Motivation: Perfect exposure for a silhouette, fantastic colours in the sky. The two sitting next to the lighthouse caps of a great image.

Name: Conropl
    Motivation: Interesting style of silhouette I suppose, the varied colours of the landscape and the cloud working its way through the valley make for a great shot. Probably wouldn’t have the same impact if the silhouette of the person on the ridge wasn’t there to put the grandeur into perspective.

Name: Nickds7
    Motivation: Great mono conversion. Really good selective exposure of parts of the image too. Extra points for breaking a few sneaky rules to get a good shot.

Name: Steve U
    Motivation: What can I say, I’m a sucker for a gum tree. Perfect contrast between the tree and the sunset. Fantastic vivid colours.

Name: Erno James
    Motivation: How can you get any better than a silhouette of the moon, doesn’t happen very often and you’ve captured it very well. I’m also a sucker for a nice bit of lens flare

"Excellent entries across the board this week, good stuff everyone! You've made it very difficult for me to choose the finalists as they're all great shots."
    Last edited by Sheiky; 06-11-2012 at 03:26 PM.

The Fisherman

Mark - Flickr

Two home runs right off the bat from the two guys above! holey smokes.

Since this one happens so infrequently, I thought I'd toss it in this assignment. If you look closely, the trees are in silhouette and technically so is the moon:

Ring of Fire, taken in Northern California 05/20/2012. 7D | 70-200 f/4 ISM | 2x extender | 10 stop B+W GND | Live View only of course (not sure how to display this bigger; my larger files are being rejected by this site). Take care, Erno.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ringFire.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	131.3 KB 
ID:	1066

Quote Originally Posted by erno james View Post

Ring of Fire, taken in Northern California
    Looks to me like we have a winner already. How are we suppose to compete with this

Here is mine anyway

Image041 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

So if i've got waay waay too many possible entries for this one, is that a good thing?
    Or does it mean I need to learn to use spot metering more often?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Hi, here is my try...

Name:  IMG_0339_ap_web.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  171.4 KB

Three great entries, but I do like the splash of red in the where's Wally shirt on yours mrezen.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

My submission

Wow, waaaay too many to choose from, I managed to whittle it down to only a few to choose from:
    First, two travel shots, one from London, one from Paris (guess which is which)

edit, what the hell, the first is now my entry (seeing as I love weird atmospheric and meteorological conditions)

(that's an upper-atmosphere halo, if anyone's wondering)

I managed to limit myself to one sunset (taken on the beach at Scheveningen a week before I left the country for good), and one sunrise (taken a few weeks ago, handheld (who says IS is pointless on wideangle lenses?), practically out my back door:

I loved all of them, they all have a story behind them, and here's another one which isn't my entry any more...

(clicky linky for biggy on all of them)
    Last edited by Dr Croubie; 06-02-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Especially loving that first shot, Dr Croubie.