Thread: Photoshop Elements and 5D Mk3 RAW?

Photoshop Elements and 5D Mk3 RAW?

Hi: I have PS Elements 7 and am currently satisfied with it for my uses. It does not however, support RAW output from my 5d/MkIII. I downloaded the trial version of PSE 10 which turns out doesn't support RAW output from this camera either. I've tried searching the Adobe site for RAW plugins etc but no luck for PSE 7 or 10. I tried downloading and installing some but as stated, they wouldn't plug into my PSE 7.

Is this a simple matter of waiting for Adobe to catch up or am I missing something?

On a related note, I would consider the purchase of a competing program to PS Elements (Paint Shop Pro etc) but again, much searching leaves me confused.

Sincere thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. gary

Been a long time since I've seen your name pop up. On the Adobe site, go to support, then downloads, look for dng converter, and you're set. The RAW program that supports the newer camera will only work with CS5 and newer I believe. There are also free programs like the one Daniel uses (rawtherapee or something like that.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

The latest version of Adobe Camera Raw supports the 5DmkIII, and Elements 10. Only half their pages point to the latest version, so I've included a link here. The main link for CS5/6 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=5371 , and there are Elements 10 specific links at the bottom of that page. You only need the DNG converter if your copy of Photoshop/Elements are too old to use ACR directly (they only support the latest couple versions).

Ok, downloading now (slow). I read through some info on the DNG converter and I'm embarrassed to admit this was a new concept for me. From what Adobe implies this is a better option vs RAW files as it's more universal down the road (archiving). I'm assuming that it's a "lossless" type of conversion?

In any event, I've more reading to do. Sincere thanks for the replies. gary

It's more universal, but as Daniel points out, there is a lot of information in raw files and each raw converter looks at it differently. I'm not sure Adobe is the best route, but it is similar to what you are comfortable with. If you search the site a bit, you can prolly trip over a discussion or two about it. I think if you shoot sraw stuff, don't be surprised if the file size increases by a quite a bit after dng conversion.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.