Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My name is John, and I'm an EAV (1D X AFMA issue)

John;

What I find interesting about this, is you are the one person we know on the forums that has investigated and researched how the AF system works to the extreme. You have written several nice tutorials on how to set your adjustments. Yet the irony of it all, Canon chooses you to send a 1D X with a faulty AFMA system.

Just a curious question when looking at your video. Does it only do this when you power down and power back up with the on/off switch? Or does it do it as well when the camera hibernates and comes back live?

Also did I understand this correctly, even though it doesn’t recognize the lens, if you take pictures the EXIF data shows the settings were there? If so to me that would imply that the camera does recognize the lens, but it isn’t displaying it correctly. Of course if this scenario is true, there is no fix or work around you would have to do each time you mount the lens, you would only need to do your work around when entering settings.

Rick

Rick, it happens on sleep/wake as well as power cycling. It's not that the lens isn't being recognized, rather, the camera seems to think it's a previously unused lens of that type (since the 1D X can distinguish by serial number).

Regardless, excellent news. Trowski seems to have found a simple fix. I went through and took iPhone pics of my settings screens, then following his advice, I did a Clear All Camera Settings (Setup menu 4) and Clear All Custom Functions (C.Fn menu 7). After that, AFMA is behaving normally!!

I'll re-enter all my settings later, and see if it breaks again. But so far, it seems we're back in business...

More info, also figured out by Trowski.

With AF4 menu option Orientation Linked AF Point set to the default of Same for Both Vert/Horiz, behavior of the AFMA setting is normal. But, when it's set to Select Separate AF Points (which mine was), the AFMA zeroing out occurs.

Simply changing that one setting from default 'breaks' the AFMA behavior, resulting in the phenomenon shown in my video, and resetting that one setting to default restores the correct behavior.

Looks like Canon owes Trowski for doing all the research and narrowing down the root cause of the bug