Thread: 40mm firmware update- how long does it take?

40mm firmware update- how long does it take?

Has anybody updated the firmware on their 40mm 2.8 pancake? I only experienced the autofocus problem once, after picking up the camera when it was in video mode, so I'm not sure i have the problem. I tried recreating it several times, but autofocus seems to work. But should I need to update the firmware, I don't have a compatible camera. Instead of sending it in to Canon, I was just thinking of walking down to Target or Best Buy and using the T4i that's out on display, and attaching the lens and CF card. My only worry is that i'll take to long and the battery will die before it's done. Anybody know how long the firmware update takes? And if the battery dies in the middle of the update, will it make the lens unusable?

Kind of annoying that I can't update the firmware on my 7D, especially since the 7D firmware was just updated. You'd think they'd add this functionality...

I've been reading horror stories from folks who tried it on their 5DMkIII and it failed badly. You might be better off sending it to Canon anyway.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1220101
    Mark - Flickr

RE the horror stories, it seems that the lens update failure occurs when you've registered the battery, and if you clear all registered batteies then insert a charged one, the update proceeds just fine. Why that matters, I have no idea, nor do I have any idea why the orientation-linked AF point setting 'breaks' AFMA on the 1D X. But at least there seems to be a workaround for both issues...

Quote Originally Posted by gbc View Post
    Kind of annoying that I can't update the firmware on my 7D, especially since the 7D firmware was just updated. You'd think they'd add this functionality...
    Agreed.

Maybe this is Canon's way of encouraging us to buy new cameras?

It took approximately 5 minutes, including the time to read the .pdf instructions that came with the download.

I did it with a less than full charge battery with no issues (just because I read the instructions, does't mean I followed them!)

Mac OS, 5D3 using the SD card only.

I have used the 40mm on both the 60D and the 5D3, but only noticed the "sticking" problem a couple times on the 60D. Since I use the lens as a body cap, it has plenty of opportunity to become stuck.

Including the time it'll take me to afford a 5D mk3 to perform the upgrade ... about 5 years.

Maybe i'll take it back to the shop I bought it, borrow a 5D3 of theirs...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Confirmed, unregister batteries and the update proceeded perfectly! 5D3 and Mac, using CF card. Prior to unregistering batteries, update failed at various points.