Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Man Help... quick!

Need Man Help... quick!

Ok, so I married my lovely new wife a couple of weeks ago and I figure since I'm still in the good books I'd better use it to my advantage. What a perfect way to start a marriage!

We're going on the trip of a lifetime next year and I can see myself becoming frustrated with the autofocus (or lack of) in the 5D2 more frequently lately, and I don't want to miss shots next year because of it. Here's my plan:

Sell the 5D2 with grip, 24-70, 17-40, 2x Extender iii and replace with a 5D3 (no grip), Samyang 14mm f/2.8 (already done), Canon 24mm f/1.4L, 40mm pancake.

I'm going to paste this on the fridge when I get home from work and see what the reaction is. Any of you out there got any more PROs for me? Personally, I can't see any cons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Justification.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	1478
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Less zooms means only WA shots taken --> less shots overall (well, theoretically) --> more time with Lauren

Good luck
    Arnt

Well I'll still have the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II so there's going to be room for tele shots.... I like where you're heading though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Lenses longer than 70mm are only for portraits of her of course
    Arnt

I like it - I should have tried something similar- instead of just pointing to flyer and saying " It's on sale can I get it?"

Very interesting tactic Ben. Congrats to you and your beautiful bride. I think you are doing the right thing by discussing this with your beloved.

BUT, I would counsel against putting that type of list on the fridge, where your feeble excuses for an upgrade of your gear will greet her everyday and remind her that instead of putting a shared goal, or even better yet, something she wants on the fridge, to remind her how much you love and think about her everyday.

Sure get the new camera, but just do it, don't publish your plans. I have found that talking about a replacement piece of equipment, justifying the expense and saying it needs to be done before we go away, includes your beloved and sets a due date for the aquisition. Don't leave a money trail in front of her nose for her to read and fester over. Discuss and just get it done.

As for your gear selections, you would love a 5D3 for sure. I have a 24 and a 35mm prime and on FF, I really prefer the 35 as a walk around lens, or even a 50mm.

Good luck with your plans.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Plan accepted, on the premise I sell the gear first. So... errr... it looks like I'm upgrading to the 5D3. That was quick!

Steve I agree with you 100%! I was putting this together for Loz as a bit of a joke, please don't feel like I would put that pressure on her already, but thank you for your words of wisdom mate. We're extremely open and honest with each other and this was purely an exercise to show that I have put some thought into it.

I'm still tossing up between the 24mm and the 35mm so any thoughts would be much appreciated. I agree the 35mm would be a nice walkaround, just tossing up whether I'd prefer to have something wider for shots of the night sky or a good walkaround. I suspect the latter...

Joke detected and received Ben. I just helped my wife save and pay off a very nice dining table, that was the best thing I could have done for my camera lens aquisition program.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Congrats, Ben!!! (On the marriage, I mean, because I wouldn't be saying congrats on getting a 5DIII...or would I?)

Take it from me...if there are kids in the future, there's almost no better justification to get a new lens, camera, etc., than taking pictures of her kid(s). You just have to put it in terms of outcomes - better portraits with that thin DoF...better ambeint light pictures without blinding the baby with a flash...ok, I do need more light but we'll make it soft light with this monolight + 48" octabox, etc. It's all about sequence and timing...

Congrats Ben...on the marriage.....the new gear...and marrying someone so reasonable....