Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1D X Firmware Update provides f/8 AF and AI Servo AF point illumination

1D X Firmware Update provides f/8 AF and AI Servo AF point illumination

The news was posted this morning: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...aspx?News=3220

Color me happy! Just ordered the 2xIII to use with my 600 II.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Color me happy! Just ordered the 2xIII to use with my 600 II.
    Very misleading release by Canon. It said the firmware update was "No Charge". It seems to have cost you $449.00

This is a good thing, wildlife photogs are part of what they wanted.

Should we expect this for the 5DIII also?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    Very misleading release by Canon. It said the firmware update was "No Charge". It seems to have cost you $449.00
    It could have cost me more...but I have kids. You see, earlier this weel, I'd been having an email discussion with Bryan on TC IQ, and yesterday I had the Canon 2xIII in my B&H cart, along with the Kenko 1.4x and 2x TCs, planning to try them all out head to head. I was planning on using the Kenko 1.4x with the 100-400mm when it was not practically feasible to bring the 600 II, the Canon 2xIII mainly to use with my 70-200 II, but also for Live View AF of static subjects with the 600 II, and probably returning the Kenko 2x if the IQ was too poor (I could only find one review of it with a supertele, reported that AF worked with the 500/4 II but IQ was weak, but with an n=1, I wanted to see for myself).

But like I said, kids. They interrupted my ordering process, my cart timed out, and I figured, well, I'll get to it tomorrow...but I was busy in the morning, then a little bird (species B. Carnathanius) told me to check out the news page in a few minutes.

So, if you think about it differently, the firmware update actually saved me either $259 or $528 (depending on whether or not I would have kept the Kenko 2x).

Thanks, Canon!

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    Should we expect this for the 5DIII also?
    Lots of people are/will be clamoring for it. Tough to say. I didn't think Canon would put the 1D X AF into the 5DIII in the first place, and they did. So, why stop now? But historically, f/8 AF has been the province of 1-series bodies...will they break that tradition?

The AI Servo AF point illumination should definitely come to the 5DIII. For Canon to separate the f/8 from the Servo point illumination and deliver only the latter to the 5DIII would make Canon look stingy, petty, and feature-grubbing. Then again, historically they've had no problem looking stingy, petty, and feature-grubbing...

Now thats an explanation....

This is a Kenko 2x a few years ago with the 50D and 100-400 just after I bought the lens.

Spring Turkey by hdnitehawk01, on Flickr

Very happy about this as well. I was just looking at the 2x III on my shelf the other day wondering how much use I'd get out of it. Looks like it will be much more than I thought!
    - Trowski

Next step: find an empty football field or the equivalent to do AFMA at 65 yards...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Lots of people are/will be clamoring for it. Tough to say. I didn't think Canon would put the 1D X AF into the 5DIII in the first place, and they did. So, why stop now? But historically, f/8 AF has been the province of 1-series bodies...will they break that tradition?
    Well, given that Canon managed to figure out how to make it work just by using firmware and not a new AF sensor... then if Canon don't put it on the 5D3, Magic Lantern will.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I'll be very interested in the 600mm + 2XIII performance with the 1DX. I have the lens, 1.4 and 2X TC, but am shooting with a 5DIII so don't currently have AF capability at 1200mm. BTW - I'm very happy with the IQ and AF performance with the 600 and 1.4X. The IQ w the 2X looks significantly less sharp/contrasty on this site so it will be good to hear/see some feedback on this pair on the 1DX. I'm hoping for the firmware update for the 5D - resisting the urge to get the 1DX.