Thread: 2009 Final Four

2009 Final Four

So I was lucky enough to get floor tix to this year's final four (go
    heels!)and I was looking at the camera restrictions and at Ford Field
    and they're ridiculous! Nothing over 5" or 50mm! I'm hoping I can sneek
    through with my 75-300mm and boost the ISO and get something decent. Is telephoto necessary or would a 50mm f/1.8 be good enough that close to the floor? Any other suggestions on a lens or ways around the rules? Thanks in advance!

Re: 2009 Final Four

As far as getting camera gear into the game, I hate to say it, but the answer is, "It just depends." Security guards typically aren't all that knowledgeable as to what exactly isn't allowed into the game (photography wise). Case in point--I live near Nashville, TN, and cameras with interchangeable lenses are not allowed at Predators hockey games. However, I've taken my SLR into the arena several times without incident. I was sitting in the second row, so I only had my 17-55mm lens (so it didn't look all that threatening). My point is that it really depends on the security guard. Some are sticklers for the rules, but most are only looking for dangerous items.

I'd get to the arena a little early and try to get the 75-300mm lens into the game. If they don't allow it, take it back out to the car (if possible).

Re: 2009 Final Four

I am trying to think sneaky for you. What comes to mind right away is to try and hide a lens in a thermos or something, but those are probably not allowed either. Maybe you could hide it in a bulky jacket? Good luck!