Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorites on Flicker

Quote Originally Posted by d0051m View Post
    Hope to be able to do this one day!!!

The Milky Way by Ben__Taylor, on Flickr

Hey that's mine! Glad you like it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    In a similar vein, how much time do people take commenting on Flickr. I know at times I feel obligated to comment and I don't. Some people really look for and "need" your comment. I find it hard to keep up at times. I have about 250 "contacts" and I certainly don't comment on every post, probably only try and comment on about 10 contacts.

It seems that people that get over a thousand views and hundreds of comments have to spend a lot of time commenting themselves. I just wonder if anyone from this site, works hard at developing their Flickr audience. How much time does is it take? Are there any work benefits or sales flowing from this?
    For me, not much. I have 10-15 contacts, mostly from TDP, and probably spend 5 minutes a day looking over posts and commenting. I mostly belong to "lens specific" groups and only occasionally add my shots to those groups. Honestly, the only reason I started a flickr account was because for awhile it was one of the only ways to post high res images here on TDP. Now, I like the ability to comment on specific photos and do like occasionally looking through "groups."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U View Post
    Flickr is a diverse forum, I wouldn't be without it.

In a similar vein, how much time do people take commenting on Flickr. I know at times I feel obligated to comment and I don't. Some people really look for and "need" your comment. I find it hard to keep up at times. I have about 250 "contacts" and I certainly don't comment on every post, probably only try and comment on about 10 contacts.

It seems that people that get over a thousand views and hundreds of comments have to spend a lot of time commenting themselves. I just wonder if anyone from this site, works hard at developing their Flickr audience. How much time does is it take? Are there any work benefits or sales flowing from this?
    I spend more time on flickr than I care to admit with viewing, commenting, answering PM's and reading discussions! I have about 250 contacts also and many have evolved into some valuable friendships. I prefer it so much more to facebook! If people notice my photos and comment, it is very uplifting and encouraging. I very much appreciate someone taking out the time to comment but if they don't, that is fine also. I have had 150,000 views but probably nowhere near that for comments! I prefer genuine comments and constructive criticism because someone really likes what they see or can suggest ways I can improve rather than just commenting out of a feeling of obligation or because they HAVE TO comment with a "comment code" on 3 photos in a group after they post theirs. In fact, I have gotten kicked out of a group or two because I didn't use their comment codes even though I was commenting on photos in the group!

The only work I have gotten from it was the wedding I shot and I haven't gotten any sales. Sales would be nice!

Thank you for your input Denise. Your contributions are some that I follow and try to comment on and I have noted the amount of views and awards your work gets. I probably don't comment as much as you, but I can't imagine how some people manage to comment on their contacts work. Some people just go through and "fave" everything, but as Mark said at the start favourites leaves a trail for people to follow. And hopefully my favourites will also show some development and progression over time.
    Tagging and the image description also raises the amount of views, it is interesting that images years old are still getting faved by people searching for that something "special".
    Once you have contacts up around the 250 mark, you do have quite a few images to view everyday. Again it amazes me the people with 1000's of contacts, must have 100's of images daily to view..... if they want to.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur