Thread: How do you deal with your big white lenses in the field???

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Here's a setup I posted on earlier that I really like when walking a long way with the 600mm f4 II:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6682lowres.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	166.1 KB 
ID:	1797Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201A6680lowres.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	1798

This is the wimberly side kick mounted on a monopod using a RRS L bracket as the right angle connector. Per a suggestion from neuroanatomist, I have now placed a RRS clamp b/t the L-bracket and the top of the monopod so that that connection is more solid. I find a monopod very helpful in handling this lens and much more maneuverable in the field around wildlife than a tripod. The gimbal action makes the whole set-up more stable and flexible for shooting birds in trees etc. I bought a couple of shoulder harness straps to use with this outfit - CS-PRO Mark II by Carry Speed and BlackRapid BLRSSC RS-Sport Extreme Sport Strap. I think I like the CS-Pro strap better for this amount of weight as it is a little wider (the BR strap has been great w the 1Dx + 200 f2 at VB tournaments though), but I haven't mastered the best way to carry the monopod and lens when they are attached. Maybe neuroanatomist can post a pic of how he does this w the left handed strap?

I find a tripod over the shoulder to be too hard to move through the woods (always catching on something) and although the RRS gimbal on a tripod is super for shooting around my bird feeders, I don't take it on hikes.
    Last edited by Vern; 04-04-2013 at 08:23 PM.