Thread: Looking for a tripod/ballhead combo on a budget of $600

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have limited experience relatively, but I started with a 3LT Brian and 3LT head. Carbon fiber, 3.8 lbs with head, folds to 16.5", extends to 80". For a travel tripod, it had some really nice features.

I ended up getting a RRS camera plate and decided to try out the RRS BH-40 head. The RRS build quality was addicting. Very solid and easy to use. I liked the lever release and the knobs are just so intuitive and easy to operate. But, it didn't quite pair well with the 3LT with its fold over design. Based on how much I liked the RRS head, I decided to get the RRS TQC-14. I kept with a travel size tripod as it still more than meets my needs and for me, the easier it is to carry, the more likely I will take it.

Had I not tried the RRS, perhaps I would have been happy enough with the 3LT and the price was certainly better. I would call the 3LT a good tripod, but I think the Brian model tries to do a bit much. It folds very small and extends very far, but to do that it has a 5 section leg and 3 section center post. If you need something that can double as a light stand when needed and it has a built in tripod and folds super small, I would consider it. But the RRS just seemed so much more focused as a tripod, which is really all I need. The RRS is just very solid.

I need to take some pictures of the 3LT to sell it and will take some comparison shots against the RRS.

Note that I went a little different and paired the BH-40 with the TQC-14 instead of the BH-30. Still pairs well and the weight difference wasn't that big. I already had the BH-40 and I thought I would like the larger ball since it is my only setup.
    Last edited by EricPvpi; 07-09-2013 at 03:59 PM.