Thread: Battery tray issues: 5D3 with BG-E11

Battery tray issues: 5D3 with BG-E11

Anyone else have the 5D Mark III and the BG-E11? If so, have you had any issues with an on-screen error at power-on that says the [left/right] battery is not communicating properly, use this battery? I was charging batteries to shoot my wife's HS reunion, and got that message on a battery so I set it aside and tried another. I had no other issues until I got to the event, when a different battery threw the same alarm. It didn't seem to be a big deal: the top-screen battery icon would flash a few times before settling in. However, I swapped the batteries left vs. right, and the problem didn't repeat.

For the sake of mention, four of our six LP-E6 batteries are from early 2010 (I think). The other two are new, one is <2 months old courtesy of our 5D3, and the other is <1 month old, bought with our BG-E11.

I figure it's got to be the grip or battery tray, so I'll send both in for a warranty repair. Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Although the new tray design may offer a grip shape that's closer to the 1-series, I'm not happy with the extra layer of complexity.

I can't provide any first-hand experience with the issue you're having. However, I will say this - I've had several issues over the years with battery grips, and relatively few with the cameras themselves. If you can't trace the issue to a single battery (or two), then my guess would be the battery grip is causing the issue.

Battery tray issues: 5D3 with BG-E11

I am using the same set up you have, and have seen that error message. But it seems that the only time I have seen it, is when I am using a non-Canon brand battery.