Thread: quick release taking camera off tripod-called what?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

quick release taking camera off tripod-called what?

Don't know the lingo!! What is the device called that you keep on your camera all the time and you can quickly take your camera on/off your tripod? Are they all universal in size to the fittings on camera and tripod?

I think what you're looking for is called a quick-release plate. It attaches to the bottom of your particular camera and locks onto the ballhead which is attached to the tripod. In my case, the plate was camera/ballhead specific. If you already have a ballhead, you should check with the manufacturer to see if they offer a quick-release plate. I purchased a RRS BH-55 system and have been very pleased with it.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...with-LR&key=it

David

Typical set up is a plate that screws into the bottom of your camera. Then the plate mounts to a head and the head mounts to the tripod (or monopod) legs. There is no universal size, although Arca-Swiss plate style is used by several brands. But, and this is where it gets fun, there is a difference in dimensions for the Arca-Swiss plates between manufacturers. RRS notes compatability issues in the third paragraph here. If you go with the screw-in clamp, this isn't an issue as it adjust to the plate dimensions as you screw it in. But this is an issue with a quick release clamp as it clamps to a specific dimension.

Several manufacturers have their own proprietary plate, such as Manfrotto and Gitzo. So, take the time to match the plate with the head.

BTW, I second the recommendation for RRS. I use a Markins head and RRS plates on Gitzo legs, but the Markins head is adjustable and I have it set to the RRS plate dimensions.

How about that, something that is needed to be quickly released is called a quick release plate. Jeez! I guess sometimes things are that simple. But, I am glad I asked because both of your responses were informative. Brant, the link you provided almost made my eyes pop out of their sockets and gave me a good laugh. Yes, I know how pricey our toys are, it still stunns me sometimes. All kidding aside, in the future I will be getting a tripod, ballhead mount and I will definitely keep this in mind. For now the tri-pod my dad gave me many moons ago , from his photography days is pretty decent. It weighs 2lb 12oz., folds down to 23", winds up to about 5'5", lets me swivel around 360, goes horizontal and vertival and it must be aluminum, because so far no rust (knock wood). The only downside is it has twist legs. All I need now is a "quick release plate". I checked BH and they have acratech brand that is aluminum, and I looked at the one from RRS, although I did not see that it was aluminum, it probably is, I will ask RRS if I choose this one. Thanks again gentleman.

Yes, the RRS plates are anodized aluminum. RRS gear is pricey, but the quality is unmatched.