Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Creative Cloud

Adobe Creative Cloud

I saw the news that you can sign up for a 1 yr commitment to get this Creative Cloud. It's $9.99 a month. But, I believe this is only for the first year. After that, it jumps to $19.99. And, like any subscription, that price can change, and probably will.

Not such a good deal for the average photographer, in my opinion.

I'm not sure about this particular offer, but I know for anyone who owns CS3 or higher and signed up previously, the $9.99 is, according to Photoshop User magazine, not introductory. Adobe's own FAQ, however, say that the cost will not increase during the first 12 months, but they make no promises after that.

Considering the price of Photoshop and Lightroom if you were to buy them outright, this is still not a bad deal. If you have CS6 already, you might not want to jump, but if you have anything older or not at all, it's worth it, IMO.
    Last edited by M_Six; 11-21-2013 at 03:33 AM.
    Mark - Flickr

Comments at the bottom of this Adobe Blog from Jeffrey Tranberry -- who is "Chief Customer Advocate and Product Manager for Adobe Digital Imaging" -- the $9.99 is an ongoing price.

Subject, of course, to inflation and Adobe's need/whim/greed.

I think it sounds like a pretty good deal for me. I'm sitting on LR4 (had planned to upgrade this Christmas) and PSE 10. The added capabilities of real PS for editing make this a pretty nice deal now that I don't have to have already bought an expensive copy of CS.

To be perfectly honest, Bryan was concerned about the wording in the "Terms of Service" too. He thought it meant that the program may increase in price after the first year.

Right after posting the news piece, I called our contact at Adobe who told me the price would remain $9.99 as long as you don't cancel the membership or stop payment.

And for what it's worth - $9.99/month is a bargain for an always up-to-date version of Photoshop. Lightroom is just icing on the cake. ;-)

I've been a Photography Program Member for a couple of months now and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the information Sean! I had read in a few places that they had no intentions of increasing the price. I imagine they'll get tons of takers from the Photoshop CC-only subscriber pool alone.

Like cable subscriptions, they also have no 'intention' (tongue firmly planted in cheek) of increasing the price, but....

I hope you're right. We shall see.

Thought I would resurrect this thread. Currently, I can get Adobe Creative Suite for about $130 off of my university license. However, it does not appear that my university will be taking part in the subscription based Adobe Cloud. The reasoning is that the Cloud would be cost-effective up to a certain number of users in comparison to the current contract. However, how does the university "pick" the people who get Creative Suite versus those that don't? If everyone on campus wanted Creative Suite, the yearly expense would far surpass our current contract. Basically, b/c the yearly expense would be unknown based on faculty demand and turnover, the university will not take part in the subscription-based Cloud. At least that is what I am being told.

Thus, the Cloud does not seem to benefit people like me who have been living the sweet life for years. Furthermore, my university never upgraded to the Creative Suite 6 license, so 5.5 is going to be it. A frowny for a sad day…I guess if you were paying the sticker price for Creative Suite all along the Cloud would be a bargain. I'm curious if any other university personnel are approaching a similar scenario as me?
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

Just the opposite here. Our university is (supposedly) in the final stages of completing a contract to offer at least Photoshop CC to all faculty, staff, and students. Previously, the CS6 collection, either Web and Design or the complete Adobe collection was available to faculty and staff using a key server, which monitored simultaneous uses. We had enough licenses where it never seemed to be an issue. I'm not sure if the new contract is just Photoshop/Lightroom, or a few different products, or the whole suite. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I can't wait. I've been using the temp version and it's about to expire.
    Last edited by M_Six; 11-26-2013 at 01:22 AM.
    Mark - Flickr

M_Six, I assume by your location that you are at EIU. This means that no only do you have a better football team than me, but also have better technology services. I'm starting to wish my interview at EIU a year and a half ago went better...
    My Flickr page
    Canon Eos 1DIII, Canon Eos 20D, Canon Eos T3i, Canon Eos M, Canon EF 400mm f5.6L, Canon EF 300mm f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Canon EF 180mm f3.5L macro, EF Canon 24-70mm f2.8L, Canon EFs 60mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f1.4, Canon EF 50mm f2.5 compact macro, Canon EF 40mm f2.8, Canon EF-M 22mm f2, Canon 430EX II

EIU has its upsides and downsides. The tech areas are no different. I came from UIUC and a generous budget to EIU where the budget is tiny and shrinking. But I've seen that UIUC is still on CS6 and there are no announcements about moving to CC. Their departmental CS6 licenses apparently expire in July 2014, so maybe they'll move then.

The big bonus for me working at EIU is that it's 2 miles from home. Wifey has been working there since 2002, so I had 11 years of 110 miles a day running back and forth to UIUC. Now it's 5 minutes or so and we take one car. Huge benefit right there. Really good people at EIU as well.
    Mark - Flickr