Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirrorless

Mirrorless

What is Canon's current thinking in the mirrorless market.
    My thought is a camera or system to complement my 5DIII system as a
    smaller nonintrusive journalistic tool.

Thanks

I just saw an article that indicated that they might be bringing the M-2 to the U.S. after first declining to do so.

I was just at the local best bugs and saw the sony a-7. it is really small.

With dual pixel perhaps speeding up autofocus, perhaps the day of the mirror are numbered.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I think the biggest impediment is that the quality of EVFs isn't yet where it needs to be, to supplant the OVF.

Whilst the M has is big faults and annoyances, the great plus is being able to slap any EF lens on it with the adaptor and it works

Although... I look at the Fuji range of amazing fast lenses and kick myself sometimes ;-)

Have you put your hands on a Fuji mirrorless?

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Whilst the M has is big faults and annoyances, the great plus is being able to slap any EF lens on it with the adaptor and it works

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn1971 View Post
    Although... I look at the Fuji range of amazing fast lenses and kick myself sometimes ;-)
    At this point, it depends on your intent. If you want a mirrorless *system*, Canon isn't the best choice (at least for now - that will change if they continue to develop the line, but they're really just entering the market).

But, if you want a small camera for occasional use that *integrates* with the system you currently use (assuming that's Canon), then the EOS M is a great choice. A large sensor in a small body (very compact with the 22/2 pancake), functions as a very portable backup body, great for occasional use.

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    What is Canon's current thinking in the mirrorless market.
    My thought is a camera or system to complement my 5DIII system as a
    smaller nonintrusive journalistic tool.

Thanks
    My guess is that they are wondering if there is enough of a market to justify the expenditures/R&D and still make enough of a profit.

The EOS-M takes a lot of heat, but I like mine. It does exactly what I wanted it too do. It replaces my P&S camera for when I want something small and gives me much better IQ performance in the process. I would consider the IQ with the EF-M lenses on par with the 7D and the EFS 15-85. Times that I have used it include parties, dinners out, and having a wider angle option on a "second body" when I have the 100-400L mounted on my 5DIII. This includes some kayak trips and some birding trips. I am also glad to have it for trips as my back up body if something were to ever happen to the 5DIII. That said, I don't often find myself using it. Maybe a 6-8 times since last summer. But it works well. The AF is faster than my P&S, so I am happy enough with it.

A few examples of shots from the EOS-M:

small-3332 by kayaker72, on Flickr

small-2860 by kayaker72, on Flickr

small-2903 by kayaker72, on Flickr

But I agree with others, there are better "systems" out there. And one of the Sony FF cameras that can take EF lenses with adaptors would be awefully tempting (they weren't available when I bought the EOS-M). They are also more expensive. So the M works for me and I am happy to have it.

I agree that there are other systems out there. I enjoy my M very much. Instead of trekking all over the place with my DSLR, I prefer to take my M where I can. I pretty much have it with me at all times. With the zoom, you can have it in a very tiny bag. 22mm, you can even put it in your pocket. The noise levels are better than that on my 7D. My needs might be different than yours, but the M is the ideal camera to take for my vacations. I have 3 kids to keep track of and toting a big camera and lens just isn't feasible.

I'm really happy with my EOS M too. And for the $300.00 I paid for it & the EF-M 22mm STM, I think it was a bargain. I use it as a point-and-shoot replacement. IQ is much better than my phone, and it's much more capable in low-light. It's great for dinner parties because it doesn't intimidate guests like my 5D III or 7D would.