• Conropl "Marquette harbour Lighthouse"

7 53.85%
  • NFLD Stephen "Maui-197"

1 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assignment #61 - Night Scenes

Assignment #61 - Night Scenes

Assignment #61 - Night Scenes: NOW VOTING

The only real criteria for this assignment is that the image has to at least appear to be taken at night. This could include starscapes, star trails, night scapes, city scapes, aurora shots, lightning shots, architectural or setting up an artifically lit scene that is meant to be at night. I find night scenes can provide great opportunities for creative lighting or lighting that accentuates a specific feature. So let us see your best....

Neuroanatomist "Evening Lights at the Confucius Temple"
    Motivation: Night scenes offer great opportunity for different types of light. Here, colorful artificial light dominates the scene highlighting and creating their own details from the outline of the temple, to a silhouette of the tree, to a dragon. This shot makes me feel like I am there, taking it all in. Also, the boat coming up the river also contributes to the scene, giving it a bit of action.

CLS "Moonrise over Bla Jungfrun"
    Motivation: An incredibly peaceful scene. Excellent division into layers each with their own detail ranging from the moon, the islands, the ship, the birds (swans?) to the detail of the foreground. All softly and uniformly lit by the moon.

Tounis: "Spending a Night in the Swiss Alps"
    Motivation: Sharp from the snow capped fence post to the snow capped peak behind the cabin with blurred clouds backlit by the moon while the cabin is side-lit by artificial lights. Great night scene.

Conropl "Marquette Harbor Lighthouse"
    Motivation: Honestly, I had Pat in mind when I chose this topic and he didn't disappoint. This is exactly the type of shot I had in mind. Long enough exposure that the scene is as bright as day but with soft uniform light, artificial lights, and a starscape that could only be taken at night. For this particular shot, I also enjoy the details from documenting this brutal winter, the light house and then city lights in the distance.

NFLD Stephen: "Maui-197"
    Motivation: A beautiful scene that was very well captured. A starscape, a hint of twilight on the horizon, then the uniform in color artificial light creating great shadows in the sand and a blurred ocean. Similar to above, great division into sections, each with their own detail.

Good luck to all the finalists....
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 03-26-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    In a slight change from the past, I am happy to judge up to three entries per person.
    Thanks for enabling my indecisiveness!

First entry is an iconic scene from San Francisco, CA.

"Palace of Fine Arts"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 13 s, f/8, ISO 100

Second entry was taken in the Pink River area of Nanjing, China. The whole area is beautifully lit at night.

"Evening Lights at the Confucius Temple"

EOS 5D Mark II, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM @ 24mm, 1.3 s, f/9, ISO 400

Third entry was taken on a business trip to our site north of Philadelphia, PA. I drove into the city that night for some architecture shooting, and was surprised to see a light show filling the skies. A little Googling on my phone revealed it to be an interactive art display called Open Air Philadelphia. I just happened to be there the night before it officially opened, when they were doing the final testing.

"Open Air Philadelphia"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 2.5 s, f/8, ISO 1600

Thanks for looking!

nice idea Brant!
    Shooting at night can be a lot of fun, with sometimes unexpected results. Here are two recent ones:

"Arcade Game"

_AH06411 dfine by ahab1372, on Flickr

"On a planet with three suns"

_AH05711 - Version 2 by ahab1372, on Flickr

And a little older:
    "Into the night"

_AH05662 dfine by ahab1372, on Flickr

Thanks,
    Arnt

This assignment makes me want to go out and get some new night shots, but until then I thought I'd enter a couple of shots from the last autumn/winter:

"Moonrise over Blå Jungfrun"

"New Year's Eve"

Thanks for viewing!

I think it's the first time I'm able to enter one of these assignments. This picture was my first try at night photography, one month ago.

"Spending a night in the Swiss Alps"

Spending a night in the Swiss Alps by Tounis_9, on Flickr

I haven't posted in a while because I have been really busy with work lately - I just have not been able to touch the camera. However, I took this last week off and headed to the U.P. to visit my daughter. While up there I took this shot specifically for this assignment. I may have a couple more entries if I can get the time to process them.

Marquette Harbour Lighthouse (McCarty's Cove)-0437 by westmichigan, on Flickr
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Last weekend for this assignment. Entries accepted through Sunday.

I was hoping to shoot something new for this assignment, but the weather didn't seem to cooperate. So here are a few from the archives:

London Eye at Night

London_0164 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Rome

Rome_178 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Starry Night on the Beach

Maui_197 by NFLD Stephen, on Flickr

Stephen

Christian Science Building in Boston, shot from my room at the Copley Marriot.
    Mark - Flickr