Thread: camera upgrade

camera upgrade

I have been dissapointed with the image quality from my camera since i got it a little over a year ago. The images are still good quality but i found they lacked sharpness , specially eyes. I upraded to a few L series lenses but it still wanst as good as i though it should be. Last night i treated myself to a 70D . WOW what a difference ! I have only been able to take a few test shots inside so far but things are so much sharper with clean crisp edges. Of course i have to work today so i cant play with my new toy , but i got to pay for this hobby somehow lol. Cant wait to get outside and click off a few hundred shots
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Awesome! Glad to hear you're enjoying your new "treat." We'd love to see a few of your favorite images while testing out your new 70D!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    We'd love to see a few of your favorite images while testing out your new 70D!
    +1

It's a bit weird that the 70D is THAT much better than the T4i. I wondering if the T4i needs AFMA (which it doesn't have). My 5DIII body is off. All my lenses are in the +4 to +10 range, and most consistently around +6, thus I think my body itself is off.

If you are willing, I'd be interested in comparing two shots manually focused or focused in Liveview between the 70D and T4i.

I will try and get to that this coming weekend. I will use a few different lenses too. So far it seems like the focus is much sharper than before. I can also go a lot higher ISO (2500) and still have useable images.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ...It's a bit weird that the 70D is THAT much better than the T4i. I wondering if the T4i needs AFMA (which it doesn't have)...
    It shouldn't be. Provided focus is correct, there should hardly be any significant IQ difference between these bodies. On the other hand, if the T4i consistently misses focus, the results will be poor. Since the expereienced improvement seems big, this was probably the case.

Here's a comparison between the two bodies using the same lens (the difference in resolution causes the 70D's test image to be larger in comparison).

Just a tip for everyone on the site - use the Canon EF 200mm f/2 IS USM's IQ test results to compare a wide range of Canon bodies. ;-)