Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wireless flash on a budget

wireless flash on a budget

i picked up a pair of cactus v5 wireless triggers last week and started playing witht them. they work fine so far but is there anything else that has HSS ( mine dont ) that doesnt cost 600$ ? the local store said only canon will work properly but i find that hard to believe. i dont really need HSS but i would like to have it to play around with. i cant see paying top dollar for something i dont really need though. i have seen mixed reviews on yunguo. what do you guys use ?
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Metz flashes supposedly have HSS.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Look at the yongnou flashes. Lot of people use them and have good luck. If I buy another flash, I am getting one of them. I use their triggers and have had nothing but good things to say. (triggers) Only problem is they don't have a lock to keep them on the stands, but if you adjust the stands correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Thought of looking at the used canon market?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Thought of looking at the used canon market?
    That's an excellent idea. I purchased three Canon 580EX flashes used on eBay (to go along with one that I bought new several years ago). With four 580EXs and an Lumopro LP180, my indoor lighting needs are thoroughly covered.

does that mean with a 580EX you dont need a wireless trigger? i have a 430EXII and i can use the popup flash to trigger it but that doesnt work to good outdoors.
    i watched a few videos from Gary Fong where he makes the background disapear using fast shutter speed. thats what i was thinking of trying but the triggers i bought dont support HSS.
    Stuart Edwards
    1DX Mark II , 6D , Samyang 14mm f2.8 ,Sigma 85mm f1.4A , 24-105mm f/4L IS , 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II ,100-400 f5.6L II , 300mm f/2.8L II , EF 1.4x III , EF 2x III, 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by sedwards View Post
    does that mean with a 580EX you dont need a wireless trigger? i have a 430EXII and i can use the popup flash to trigger it but that doesnt work to good outdoors.
    i watched a few videos from Gary Fong where he makes the background disapear using fast shutter speed. thats what i was thinking of trying but the triggers i bought dont support HSS.
    580s can be the trigger, and can be configured to contribute to the scene (I think as a member of group A specifically) or not contribute (thereby serving only as trigger). They can signal HSS to remotes.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

i have seen mixed reviews on yunguo. what do you guys use ?
    I recently purchased a set of Yongnuo wireless triggers. I just used them for the first time on a photo shoot. This is a single Canon 580EXII in Impact Quikbox Softbox (24 x 24") triggered by Yongnuo YN-622C camera left on high-speed sync. Shutter speed 800.
    Image00017_fp8x10 by clemmb60, on Flickr

I am happy so far
    Mark

i picked up a pair of cactus v5 wireless triggers last week and started playing witht them. they work fine so far but is there anything else that has HSS ( mine dont ) that doesnt cost 600$ ? the local store said only canon will work properly but i find that hard to believe. i dont really need HSS but i would like to have it to play around with. i cant see paying top dollar for something i dont really need though. i have seen mixed reviews on yunguo. what do you guys use ?
    The Phottix Odin Trigger set supports ETTL and HSS. They also have a range of flashes to go with it. A trigger set (1 transmitter and 2 receivers) goes for $300-400, and they're available at B&H, Adorama and Amazon. Good stuff. The advantage with the Phottix is that they've got a complete system, such as the Mitros - flashes with built in receivers. Another well respected brand is Godox. The V850 is HSS only, the V860 is ETTL and HSS. This is a trigger and flash system also. I believe they are available at Amazon as well.

Super popular are the Yongnuo (as mentioned) YN-622 series triggers. These have the advantage of being everywhere, inexpensive and decent quality. You're always going to hear mixed reviews on these things. Most people I know that have them love them. There's also Pixel King (or pawn or knight or...) which has a great range of trigger products. They were among the first low-cost ETTL, and at least one of them supports HSS. Again the downside is mostly eBay - a huge advantage of the Phottix. Yongnuo can be had through Amazon, so there's some return recourse there.

Yongnuo flashes have excellent physical builds, their electronics are a bit iffy. But don't listen to me, I'm just bitter and have been let down (horribly embarrassed) by mine. However, I got their YN-E3-RT almost a year ago, and it's been great. I think that they've done a lot to improve their quality.

Also in the world of flashes a new player that's out there and looking to give Yongnuo a run for their money is Shanny. They are coming out with a Canon compatible RT system as well. What they're doing that's interesting is that they've got a regular flash that can be upgraded to the RT system by plugging a little receiver onto the side! These too are total rip-offs, er, I mean copies of the Canon product. They make a color LCD version of the ST-E3-RT, which like the Yongnuo (and unlike the Canon) has an AF assist and upgradable firmware. You might look at their regular flashes if you're investing in a trigger system - it's hard to beat a $100 flash.

I've used Aputure Trigmaster Plus 2.4's for years and have loved them. For a regular manual setup and camera trigger they've been great. I'm totally invested in the 600EX-RT's after my run-in with Yongnuo. There's a lot going on with flashes, and since I use them in front of clients, I can't have catastrophic failures. For your own purposes though, certainly look at Yongnuo and Shanny as well as Metz and Nissin. They're all available with HSS and ETTL, the Yongnuo and Shanny products are incredibly inexpensive, but (at least Yongnuo) have zero support as far as warranty. Maybe someday, but not now. Metz and Nissin have great customer support (so I've heard).
    Last edited by Anthony M; 10-24-2014 at 12:03 AM. Reason: boo-boo (inserted html tag)

New Cactus V6 triggers might. Some Pocket Wizard systems have it.
    When I started looking at going wireless Canon announced the 600 EX-RT and some of the other triggering options mentioned above were not available yet so the 600 series won on total cost of investment in each unit.
    When it comes to doing the dark background do think about using aperture as well to control the ambient. As long as it is within reason the flash can do it. With HSS mode there is a big drop in effective power rating of the flash.
    Some of the battery powered strobe heads coming onto the market are also in the same price range as high end speedlights. Some even have wireless built in. Lots more power available and ability to use studio quality modifiers are not to be overlooked in the decision making process.