Thread: Oben Ball head plate compatibility.

Oben Ball head plate compatibility.

Hi all,

Any of you have an Oben ball head (I have the Bryan reviewed Oben BC-139)?

If so, I was curious if any of you had tried using it with a Really right stuff L-plate. I have Black rapid straps and have to switch between the strap mount (which screws into the cameras 1/4 inch socket) and the quick release plate to use the tripod.

The process is time consuming and tends to make me not use a tripod as often as i should.

I want to know if the Really right stuff L-plate for the 5DIII is directly compatible with the Oben tripod clamp. I may have to call the folks at RRS to find out for sure unless one of you have had personal experience.

Thanks for your help!

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I think the industry standard is "Arca Swiss compatible".

So if Oben and RRS are both arca swiss compatible you are good to go. This info should be available on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I think the industry standard is "Arca Swiss compatible".

So if Oben and RRS are both arca swiss compatible you are good to go. This info should be available on-line.
    Correct, and from Bryan's review, the Oben is Arca Swiss. RRS actually warns that the actual measurements between manufacturers does vary even for the Arca Swiss standard. However, this is only relevant for quick release clamps. If you have the screw in clamp shown in Bryan's review, each time you screw in the clamp, you are essentially, custom fitting it to the actual plate dimensions.

I use a Markins Q3T ballhead with a quick release with RRS Plates, but the Markins lever system has a screw that allows it to be customizable which I have set to RRS plates.

I have the Oben bc-139 -- I do not have an L bracket But use a handstrap, Black rapid strap and tripod mount simultaniously.

It is arca swiss compatible

I am using the "Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate", and thread the BR strap into a mounting point on the baseplate-- This works for me

Thanks for all your input everyone! I ordered the L bracket today and it should get here next week.

Hope to get some shooting in before all the foliage is changed in my area.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Johnston View Post
    Thanks for all your input everyone! I ordered the L bracket today and it should get here next week.

Hope to get some shooting in before all the foliage is changed in my area.
    I got the idea from Neuro, but why don't you buy a clamp with a 1/4-20 threaded hole to attach to you Black Rapid strap. Then you just clamp your strap to the Arca Swiss compatible plate on you camera. When you want to attach the camera to the ball head clamp, then un-clamp your strap and clamp the camera to the ball head. No unscrewing the strap... which I agree is a pain.

For safety sake, I use a locking lever clamp with a lock button. It won't come off accidentally. The one I used that was 1/4-20 compatible (and it says it works with RRS plates) is a $55 Sunwayfoto DLC-42. It sounds like an unknown supplier, but their cost is low and I have been real happy with their quality. It has a nob to adjust it for your plate, and a lockable lever clamp (the nob won't turn and loosen when clamped if adjusted properly). Though you can use any Arca Swiss compatible clamp you want. Here is the one with the 1/4-20 threaded hole to match the screw on the strap:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ver_Clamp.html
    Last edited by conropl; 10-24-2014 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Got bit by spell checker (I grabbed the wrong word).
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr