Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day Out

Bad Day Out

Well we all have had bad days photographing.

Since I'm reasonably good at fireworks, I thought I would try a new location. This time I didn't forget anything or get there too late to get a good spot. I spent 3 hours telling people where the fireworks would be coming from and "no I'm not a professional photographer".

I have User Custom 3 for fireworks (Manual, f8, ISO 100, 6 seconds), being the last position on the switch it's the easiest to check in the dark. I then adjust the shutter speed for the type of fireworks display (Rapid Fire or Slow). Even though it's been 3 years since I last shot fireworks I was very confidant it would all go well.

Just as the fireworks started the Hahnel Remote Shutter Release stopped working (even though I had tested it hours before). Testing it this morning its dead.

The second thing that went wrong was that I was unable to review the images while it's shooting. I know this was a feature on my old 350D I used it all the time. I don't seem to be able to get the 7D to do the same thing. It's highly likely that I set something wrong on the 7D, but I cannot get the display to come up unless I release the shutter. Does anybody know if this is possible?

The end result for the 10 minute fireworks display and one of the best I've seen, I have less than 80 shots. Half of the shots I did take were rubbish and It looks like I may less than 10 keepers.

Sorry for the Dummy Spit.... and Happy New Year
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

;-). I would NEVER leave the IS on when shooting water/ice falls from a tripod.

Just enough blur to ruin every shot.

Which hähnel remote? I have the Giga T Pro II, and it 'died' on Tuesday (I last used less than a month ago). The transmitter appeared to be functioning (display working), I had put a fresh LR2 battery in the receiver at the last use. It fired the shutter as a wired remote (plugging the cable directly into the transmitter), just not wirelessly. Turned out replacing the CR2032 battery in the transmitter was needed – apparently it can have sufficient power to do everything except send a wireless signal. For location shooting, that means bringing an eyeglass screwdriver along with a spare battery (or just changing it out beforehand).

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ;-). I would NEVER leave the IS on when shooting water/ice falls from a tripod.

Just enough blur to ruin every shot.
    LOL, I guess there's one advantage to use non-IS lenses!

Dave

10 minutes in total darkness with an equipment malfunction will test your skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Raid View Post
    The second thing that went wrong was that I was unable to review the images while it's shooting. I know this was a feature on my old 350D I used it all the time. I don't seem to be able to get the 7D to do the same thing. It's highly likely that I set something wrong on the 7D, but I cannot get the display to come up unless I release the shutter. Does anybody know if this is possible?
    I've been using PocketWizard MultiMaxes (with one Plus3 thrown in) to trigger remotes, and my 1D3 and 7D often become my remote(s). The 1D3 is reasonably predictable: with the pre-release cable connected between PW and camera, if the Tx PW has the zone selected, the 1D3 considers itself "busy" and ignores its human other than simple things like aperture (little wheel), ISO (big wheel), focus point selection (joystick) and perhaps live view (can't remember if this is available). The 7D becomes somewhat possessed: if the cable is connected to the Rx PW, the 7D ignores its human pretty much completely. I've monkeyed with it a bit, but not nearly enough to understand what's going on. Regardless, I think this is the same as what you were seeing, so perhaps it's just a "7D thing".
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

My remote horror stories:

I started out with a wired Canon RS-80N3 remote, but it does not have a timer and I found myself wanting more than 30 sec exposures far to often at night. I was timing with my watch, which actually works pretty good. The accuracy was OK since a 1/3 stop is 20 sec for a 1 minute exposure. But it was a pain at night. So I got a wired (or tethered if you wish) intervalometer (Canon TC-80N3 remote timer). This worked well and never failed until I set up the tripod in 5 feet of water with the camera about a foot above the surface of the water. With this set up I would hang the remote on the ball mount so it would be suspended above the water, or I would tie a knot in the cord so it hung above the water. After doing this several times I got cocky and managed to drop it in the water... felt really stupid. That toasted that remote.

Now I have a wireless Vello Shutterboss intervalometer. It is great not being tied to the camera. This is quit handy, and I am less likely to accidentally drop it in the water (it can stay in my pocket). The problem is it locks up to often (activates the shutter and gets stuck in that mode). You can cycle the power on the camera to close the shutter, but the remote does not clear. Turning the transmitter on and off still does not clear it. The only way to get it to operate again is to pull the batteries from the hand held trigger device and then put them back in. Unfortunately, this happens to often, and usually at night. A couple of times the transmitter changed channels on me for no apparent reason (now the trigger would not work). However, I still have my back up plan: My original wired remote and my watch.

I understand your frustration.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Pat, that's too bad about the lockup with the Vello unit. I considered that along with the hähnel, went with the latter for the smaller size of the transmitter (can be concealed in my hand if I'm in the shot, but still bigger than the little Canon RC1 that doesn't work with the 1-series). No problems with the hähnel (the battery issue was obviously a wetware problem), it works reliably. The only annoyances are related to auto-off timeouts – the transmitter shuts off after only 1 minute (adjustable), and the receiver doesn't seem to time out at all (meaning the battery dies in storage, and it's an LR2 not a 'standard' battery).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Pat, that's too bad about the lockup with the Vello unit. I considered that along with the hähnel, went with the latter for the smaller size of the transmitter (can be concealed in my hand if I'm in the shot, but still bigger than the little Canon RC1 that doesn't work with the 1-series). No problems with the hähnel (the battery issue was obviously a wetware problem), it works reliably. The only annoyances are related to auto-off timeouts – the transmitter shuts off after only 1 minute (adjustable), and the receiver doesn't seem to time out at all (meaning the battery dies in storage, and it's an LR2 not a 'standard' battery).
    I had the hahnel in my cart and was about to order it, but at the last minute I changed my mind and switched to the Vello. Live and learn.

As for the battery on the hahnel, I am notorious for not turning things off. An auto-off seems like a good idea. It saves the battery on my camera a lot.

Thanks for the infomation. I will have to look into it again.
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    I had the hahnel in my cart and was about to order it, but at the last minute I changed my mind and switched to the Vello. Live and learn.

As for the battery on the hahnel, I am notorious for not turning things off. An auto-off seems like a good idea. It saves the battery on my camera a lot.

Thanks for the infomation. I will have to look into it again.
    Auto off is a great idea. But for me, 60 seconds is too fast. For example, if it takes a couple of minutes to pose kids for a portrait, I can't just push the transmitter button and snap. 3-5 minutes would be better, ideally it would be user selectable, you can program so many other things... Conversely, the receiver doesn't seem to shut itself off ever, so if you forget you may find the battery dead next time.