Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secondary Travel Camera

Secondary Travel Camera

I'm looking for a secondary / backup camera for travel purposes. I currently have a 6D that I use a 24-105mm lens on. There are times when I travel that a small inconspicuous camera might be handy. I'd like something with RAW capture capability, and decent low light performance. Any suggestions?

I use the EOS M. It has the added benefit of being able to use EF lenses with a converter.

Now, I would be looking at the M3. Granted, it gets down to how small you want. A S120 or GX may be other good options.

I would have to +1 the EOS M. I actually prefer to leave my gear at home if I am traveling with family and just take the M with the 22mm pancake and the kit zoom. I have sincerely considered purchasing the 11-22mm to go along with this kit, but the wife purchased the Rokinon 8mm fisheye for my birthday. That has kept me content. I purchased the fotodiox adapter and use my EF lenses on it all the time. It is a great little camera. I am very interested in the M3 even if I have to purchase it grey market. I am waiting to see reviews.

I’m having similar thoughts. I’ve decided to buy a new compact camera, but so far I haven’t been able to decide between Sony RX100 M3 and Canon G7X. (I’m not sure if you’re looking for a "pocketable compact camera" or if you are more into mirrorless options.)

Both of these seem to be really good options, and overall I consider them more similar than different. The Sony has a useable viewfinder which I would really like to have. The Canon has some more reach and a bit better maximum aperture across the common focal length range…but no viewfinder. The Canon is also a bit less expensive. I consider other differences (that I’m aware of) between them as "minor". I.e. for me the question is if I want the viewfinder so badly that I’d be prepared to pay some more and still get some less focal length?

+1 on the EOS-M

I've used the M22mm prime for a couple of years, but just added a M18-55mm, which is stunning... My other camera is a 6D mostly with my 24-70 MkII

The EOS M is going with me on my trip overseas this week, along with the 1D X. I'll be able to take it everywhere, and with the EF adapter it's also an emergency backup body.

And yet again, I'll throw a vote in for the EOS M. I have one and use it as a third camera when filming and I throw it around my neck/shoulder whenever I'm on vacation (usually shooting medium jpegs with an EyeFi card so I can upload the shots to FB from my phone).

Travel Camera ?
    Light
    Inconspicuous
    Great image quality
    Shoots Raw
    Fast f 2.0
    Fun
    Great manual features
    Fast autofocus
    Retro
    Mirrorless
    Silent / no stealth

Fuli X100S (just now reduced 1200 down to 895 on amazon, due to new model just came out)

I am heavily invested in canon but this thing is AMAZING

I stuck with the 100S (newer model now out) so I would not be tempted to collect lenses on the XT line

Matches my 5DIII on image quality.

You will not be sorry

The EOS M is soooooo..... slllllooooowwwww

The image quality is like other Canon APS-C cameras, but it's just a sluggish camera to use.

Dave

Glad to see all the replies. I guess I'm looking for something a little more inconspicuous than the M. The M is good, but it still is slung around your neck.