Thread: New EF-M macro lens

New EF-M macro lens

Canon officially announced their next lens for the EOS M series, and it's a pretty tricked out little macro lens.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/N...spx?News=18238

The EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM lens packs a whole bunch of interesting tech into a small, light, and inexpensive package. At 1.8" long and 4.6 oz., it falls between the M22/2 pancake and the M18-55 in size. It's the lightest 1:1 macro lens available, and it actually delivers even higher than 1:1 magnification, with a 'super macro' setting that achieves larger-than-life-size 1.2x magnification. It also has the Hybrid IS system found previously only in Canon's 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, which corrects for translational as well as angular motion (the former is a significant contributor to camera shake with very close subjects). Finally, it has a built-in LED ring light, which is actually a pair of constant-illuminating LEDs that can be independently controlled (off, dim, or bright) for some flexibility and depth in lighting. All that for $299, availability is planned for June 30.

A lens this small and light will be easy to bring along for opportunistic shooting with the M – and small details are everywhere you go. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed with the specs of this lens - it's like something out of Inspector Gadget! As an added bonus, in a rare move for non-L lenses that I hope becomes more common for Canon, they are actually including the dedicated ES-22 lens hood with the lens (although it looks like use of the hood blocks the ring light).

See it in action (Canon promotional video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5gS7J1ohM

My pre-order is already in...
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 05-11-2016 at 05:38 PM.

New EF-M macro lens

That seems really interesting. Further emphasizing the small size benefit of the M. Seems like a great walk around macro lens. You don't even have to carry a flash.

I don't know if I'll preorder, but I am glad it is an option. If I "buy into" the M system more, maybe I will.

Hmmmmm. A little light softening and it become an interesting mini portrait set up. Imagine if the would something in the 100mm length
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911