Thread: Making The Switch - Should I do it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thank you, Bill for your insight. I appreciate your taking the time to help me out with this decision-making process. I have bounced back and forth on this for days trying to figure it out. I need to figure out something soon so I can sell my gear and take advantage of either Black Friday deals or start looking for used & refurbished.

Here are my thoughts (could change by tomorrow, LOL):

First, I have to adjust how and what I shoot and learn to accept my limitations and embrace change!

1.) Carry my gear differently ...NOT hanging around my neck! Buy the BlackRapid Breathe Curve strap.
    2.) Hold my gear differently. Before I used my right hand to really grasp and hold most of the weight of everything when shooting and held my hand underneath for support when I wasn't manual focusing. Now I am going to have to use my left hand underneath to hold most of the weight and use my right to support and work the camera.
    3.) Actually use my tripod, monopod and gorillapod! Minimize hand-holding whenever possible.
    4.) Give up wildlife photography, accept the lenses for that are way too heavy for me now and long hikes are out of the question.
    5.) Get a good table top set-up for macro photography. Any suggestions on a good soft box light tent set-up?

Now for the gear:

1.) Sell my heaviest lenses (150mm - 600mm and 50-150mm to start).
    2.) For a camera, the 6d is okay but the width on the right side is close to the limit of what I can stretch my thumb and index finger without starting to strain and feel the pain in the tendons. So, I need to sell the 7d II for sure. So, I am also going to sell the 6d and get the 6d II. Shutter speed is better and will make up for the loss of the 7d II somewhat in that regard, size is good for short periods and I can use on my tripod and use the lenses and flashes I already have. I will also have to sell my 17-50mm since it is only for crop sensors.
    2.) For more of a go-to walk around camera, I am really leaning toward the Fuji XT-2! Size and weight are good, reviews are good and it has quite an array of lenses to choose from. Bill, how is the XT-2 on high ISO in your opinion??

Thoughts???

I would need to get moving on selling my gear so I can take advantage of any Black Friday deals and upcoming sales and be ready to buy on the used/refurb market when something pops up. Adorama has a few of the XT-2 cameras available.

Input on my thinking would be appreciated. I sometimes don't make the best decisions!
    Last edited by ddt0725; 11-07-2017 at 11:27 AM.