Thread: Canon R3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Of course, up to you what you do. My first suggestion though, is, unless what you want is radically more than 24 MP, you may want to wait a bit to see how good those 24 MPs are (assuming that it really is 24 MP). But, I am impressed with the R5 in that there is additional clarity/contrast beyond mere pixel count.

The easiest example is to compare the crop mode in the R5 (17 MP) to the M6 II (32 MP). In a way, this is not a fair comparison, as the M6II image is more highly processed using Topaz AI Sharpen, but as I am traveling (visiting family in Idaho) this is the best I can do at this time.

So, 32 MP M6II sharpened with Topaz AI:
    IMG_3705-SAI by kayaker72, on Flickr

From R5, I believe crop mode (17 MP), but same lens from same location, different cropping (to truly compare resolution, click through to flickr and zoom in) but 1 year later:
    537A0122 by kayaker72, on Flickr

Is there a difference? Honestly, here I see a very slight difference in favor of the much higher MP count M6II. But that is also an 82MP FF equivalent vs 45 MP equivalent. In other images, I am preferring the R5, even though it has a lower pixel count.

Second, the R3 is Canon's first BSI sensor. Faster readout, potentially less noise. I am very interested to see if we are finally about to see a jump in quantum efficiency from Canon, who have been in the 50-60% range for awhile. Are we about to see less readout noise and a 70-80% QE? That would be amazing at high ISO.

So, each to their own. But I am plenty pleased with the 17 MP crop mode I get from the R5. That said, will the R3 fit my needs? I'll only be tempted if it suddenly opens doors for me that are currently closed, such as performance at much higher ISO. Even then, there are very very few doors closed when using the R5. But if you truly want high MP, the R3 may not be the camera for you. I would encourage you to look at the R5, however.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 08-01-2021 at 04:51 PM.

I understand all that. But I don't think that is really relevant or a viable argument at this price point with todays modern cameras. That is the difference. Canon has already shown they can make solid 45/50mp sensors. If they just threw an R5 sensor in the 3R that would be a huge improvement.

I heard it could be a Sony sensor, which if it is the case it definitely makes this whole situation really lame for Canon not making their own sensor.

Maybe if they were actually listening to their customers instead of living in the past and crippling their stuff they wouldn't be undercut by Sony. Sony was smart and saw how Canon was behind the curve for a long time and took advantage of it.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing for Sony, but I'm a Canon shooter and I love the Canon glass and I love the Canon IQ and colors. I'd rather go Nikon than Sony. But one can't help but notice the trend setting camera bodies they are making.

Here's hoping that Canon will make the R1 a true bad ass.
    Last edited by Fast Glass; 08-04-2021 at 07:50 AM.