Thread: Bulb Timer?

Bulb Timer?

I saw someone talking about the Sony A7R5 and very impressed that they had a built in timer for bulb mode.

So, I checked my R5 and M6 II. Yep.

Canon R5: switch to Bulb mode, Photo page 6. Bulb timer. As recently as this summer I was timing it with my iPhone and depressing the remote trigger.

Canon M6 II: In the shutter speed, go past 30s is bulb mode, then Menu Photo Page 6 again.

Nice feature. I'll use this at some point.

So many things are built in anymore...focus bracketing, exposure stacking, interval timer, HDR....and a bulb timer.

I need to play more.

Oh yeah, I use the bulb timer a ton because I'm often shooting very long exposures (approx 4-5 min with a 15-stop ND). Definitely a handy feature in the new EOS R-series cameras.

That said, I'm really disappointed by the focus bracketing feature. About 99% I'm doing focus bracketing, I'm using off-camera flash, and Canon's current focus-stacking feature doesn't really account for that. The best tool for the job is still my Canon EOS 5D Mark III with Magic Lantern installed. The focus bracketing feature on it is incredible and I've used it for about half a dozen pictures hanging on my walls at home.

I haven't tested that myself, but I imagine it moves fast enough you have a few dark images. Its too bad they do not do something that allow you to set a time between images so you could give the flash time to recharge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I haven't tested that myself, but I imagine it moves fast enough you have a few dark images. Its too bad they do not do something that allow you to set a time between images so you could give the flash time to recharge.
    I believe focus bracketing forces use of electronic shutter, and so far among Canon mirrorless bodies only the R3 can use flash at all with electronic shutter.

The R3 does support focus bracketing using flash. It waits for a Canon flash in the hotshoe to be fully charged before taking the next frame, but also lets you set an interval delay to allow for a 3rd party flash (including via a PC sync cord) or wirelessly-controlled Canon flashes to recycle.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C010/manu...ng-1_0280.html

Just checked my R7 and R8 manuals. Focus Bracketing doesn't support using flash at all. Nice to see that the R3 has a well thought out approach in place.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The R3 does support focus bracketing using flash. It waits for a Canon flash in the hotshoe to be fully charged before taking the next frame, but also lets you set an interval delay to allow for a 3rd party flash (including via a PC sync cord) or wirelessly-controlled Canon flashes to recycle.

https://cam.start.canon/en/C010/manu...ng-1_0280.html
    Hot damn! I did not know that. Now I can sell my 5D III!

Now why in the world couldn't Canon do the same thing except with a traditional shutter?