Quote Originally Posted by Fast Glass View Post
It's a tremendously interesting lens, it took me a while to even think if it is something I would even use. And after some shooting, I could definitely use it. But I have a hard time justifying 10k when I already got a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS and 300mm f/2.8 IS on seperate bodies. If money is no reasonable object, then I'd just preorder it and enjoy it. Alas I'm not quite there yet in my life. But it's a stunning piece of engineering. I can think of one award winning photographer I know casually that has been begging Canon for DECADES for this lens. And he is super pumped they are gonna make it.
It is definitely a well-engineered lens. Feels solid but not heavy. I had been considering a 300/2.8 off and on for the past few years, but was somewhat reluctant to buy the EF version once RF happened. If I'd already had one when I switched to RF, I'd have swapped the EF 70-200/2.8 for the RF version as I did, but likely stuck with that plus the EF 300/2.8. I have felt no need to upgrade my EF 600/4 II to the RF version. But effectively having both the 70-200/2.8 and the 300/2.8 in one lens is definitely an advantage for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
Even if you are an event photographer that would use this range, you are carrying around a huge lens.
That's the only real downside. It's not very heavy, but it is long. I read a blog post by Dan Carr where he said that's the reason he wouldn't buy one. My current quest is a holster bag for it. I love my Lowepro Toploader Pro bags, great for camera plus one lens, optionally with a second lens in a case strapped to the side. I have all three sizes, I use the middle-sized 70 AW a lot more now that the 70-200/2.8 fits in that instead of the larger 75 AW. I'm hoping the Think Tank Digital Holster 150 fits the R3 plus 100-300, it's the largest holster-style bag I've found.