Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon RF 100-300 f/2.8 IS USM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canon RF 100-300 f/2.8 IS USM

This has been popping up in rumors and now a few photos have appeared. So, it looks like this may be the next big white lens to appear. It is being hyped as sharper than the EF 300 f/2.8 II, which was one of the sharper EF lenses ever. It my mind, that should make the high MP body crowd happy, as there are only a few reasons to have a lens sharper than the EF 300 II: 1) Extremely high resolution bodies and 2) marketing hype . But fast AF, super sharp, also being hyped as light, and looking at the images, seems very reasonably sized.

I was not looking for this lens, but I could see it as a great second lens in a combo with a 500/600. But, also, adding on a 1.4x or 2x TC, you get 140-420 f/4 or 200-600 f/5.6 lens. So, if it is sharp with TCs, this actually could be a very versatile lens. Use it on a crop body, 160-480 mm equivalent.

Of course, the $10k rumored price tag wakes me up pretty quickly. But, maybe, someday.

That thing is going to be a beast of a lens...in photos and the weight room. Would solve all of my current lens problems, but don't think I want to drop 10k on it.

Nice! Add a built-in 1.4 TC and that would be really something. On that note, why aren't more lenses coming out with built-in TCs? Especially the f/2.8 varieties. Other than the slightly inconvenient hit to the sticker price, of course.

And we have an announcement.

RF100-300mm F2.8 L IS USM (canon.com)

https://youtu.be/HRuMxuq-tOE

https://youtu.be/DFiYJeVpnLE

Park photos did some wildlife with it:
    https://youtu.be/uDNZkvO2gzw

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Nice! Add a built-in 1.4 TC and that would be really something. On that note, why aren't more lenses coming out with built-in TCs? Especially the f/2.8 varieties. Other than the slightly inconvenient hit to the sticker price, of course.
    Sadly, no built in TC. They seem to have the space, even removing the drop-in filter (now need a front filter).

I am very much hoping that Canon does start having more lenses with built in TCs. They were the first, but now Olympus has a 150-400 with a built in 1.25 TC (for micro 4/3rds, so equivalent to 300-800 native, and up to 1000 mm with TC). Then Nikon has their new (and expensive) 400 and 600 with built in TCs.

Canon was the first, from what I can tell, the 100-400 f/4 TC was popular, so hopefully they come around.

To me, that is exactly what this lens needs, something like a built in TC. It would have added weight, sure, but so much more functionality. The problem is options. The 70-200 f/2.8 is much less expensive and much smaller/lighter but doesn't accept TCs. So, what you are paying in money/size/weight for is 200-300 f/2.8 and the ability to add TCs.

I have a feeling, there is a group that really wants this lens: indoor sport photographers, parents with tween kids and all their functions, etc. That is just not me. If I ever start doing really expensive trips where I want a second lens, I could see this being an alternative. Having a 140-420 f/4 is actually pretty enticing. But, nothing on my current radar where I think I need to preorder this.
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 04-20-2023 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I have a feeling, there is a group that really wants this lens: indoor sport photographers, parents with tween kids and all their functions, etc. That is just not me. If I ever start doing really expensive trips where I want a second lens, I could see this being an alternative. Having a 140-420 f/4 is actually pretty enticing. But, nothing on my current radar where I think I need to preorder this.
    Yah it's hard to justify over the 70-200 f/2.8, even for an avid gear collector like me. But if they were to dangle a 400 f/2.8 with built-in TC in front of me, I'd sell a kidney to buy it.

And we have an announcement.
    I have a feeling, there is a group that really wants this lens: indoor sport photographers, parents with tween kids and all their functions, etc. That is just not me.
    It is me, which is why I preordered the lens on launch morning.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    It is me, which is why I preordered the lens on launch morning.
    haha....I could have just said "Neuro" instead of "parents with tween kids...."

haha....I could have just said "Neuro" instead of "parents with tween kids...."
    Hard to believe, two are now teens and the third just became a tween.

10k is simply beyond my scope. The 100-500 is my go to. If ineed to go indoors it is the 70/200
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

This lens collecting hobby has gotten way to expensive.