Thread: Lightroom AI Denoise

Lightroom AI Denoise

Looks like LR has joined the trend of having an AI Denoise feature in their latest update:

https://youtu.be/_g3dDdJ-2IE

I just played with one image, 4-5 min exposure with my M6II, definitely cleaned things up. But, Greg Benz does a much better job of comparing different approaches.

I updated mine last night. Be interesting to see what it does compared to Topaz Denoise AI or Nik software. I've got some late evening soccer I might give it a shot on.

This is a very tight crop (almost 1:1) on a trogan picture I took in Costa Rica that I am processing. Just ran the Denoise feature. Settings were 1/1000, f/4, ISO 2500 on my R5, and I've added 1.3 stops EV and +30 shadows in LR.

You can see what it does:

Name:  TDP-3969.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  168.1 KB

This is with the Denoise set to default everything (50).

Name:  TDP-.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  164.4 KB

Some of it looks too smooth, IMO.

This is with the Denoise set to 20.

Name:  TDP-2.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  192.3 KB

That really isn't bad. Especially as cropped below (Denoise @ 20):

Name:  TDP-2-2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  146.3 KB

Great comparison Brant! I also own the Topaz software, so I did a quick check of the new LR Denoise against Topaz Denoise and Topaz PhotoAI. On a bird photo at ISO 3200 using the R5, I could not see any difference between Topaz Denoise and the new LR Denoise. Both put out exactly the same result in the default settings, as far as I could see. But when I use PhotoAI, the result is noticeably better because I can also add sharpening. It really works well and is super quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Great comparison Brant! I also own the Topaz software, so I did a quick check of the new LR Denoise against Topaz Denoise and Topaz PhotoAI. On a bird photo at ISO 3200 using the R5, I could not see any difference between Topaz Denoise and the new LR Denoise. Both put out exactly the same result in the default settings, as far as I could see. But when I use PhotoAI, the result is noticeably better because I can also add sharpening. It really works well and is super quick.
    Brant and Jonathan, This is what I was finding as well. My shots tend to have higher ISO because most are shot with a 2.0 tc on my 100-400. Denoise in LR really smudges stuff once the noise is more serious. I think it is a work in progress and they are on the right track though. If they added a sharpening feature to the Lightroom denoiseAI in the future, I could have saved some bucks.

I heard some rumblings on another group on FB that DXO does a great job with raw noise and sharpening, some claim better than what Topaz does...never tried it myself, but curious.

I did a free trial of DXO Pure Raw a couple years ago .... it was very impressive at both noise reduction and restoring detail. I think they have released a new version too. I would suggest trying it if they still offer a free trial period.