Thread: Variable ND Filters

Variable ND Filters

Simple post here. One photographic item I have been playing with in 2023 is variable ND filters. All my previous filters had been fixed, usually 6 or 10 stops. As I have yet to buy a RF lens and I have an EF-RF adapter that allows drop in filters, I am playing with using those drop in filters to decrease the volume I travel with. I.e, 2 drop in filters instead of 6 different filters (CPL, 6 stop, and 10 stop NDs in 77 mm and 82 mm threads). At least, that was the initial idea.

In addition to taking up less space in my pack, I am also noticing that I shoot differently. For waterfalls, with a variable ND, I am setting my exposure, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc to what I want for creative effect, but then I am adjusting the variable ND to ETTR in the image. A nice little change.

An example:

1 sec, f/11, ISO 100

537A7077 by kayaker72, on Flickr

I currently have Canon's CPL and variable ND. I am noticing some color shift, especially at higher NDs. So, I might try breakthrough's variable ND, as it is finally in stock.

I opted for a kit made be Freewell on a kick starter campaign. Includes a set of variable ND, fixed ND, as well as, a couple of graduated NDs. Which I used for the NC valley sunrise shots I will post soon.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

My most-used filters are CPL and 10-stop ND, which I have in 77mm and 82mm. I also have 6- and 3-stop NDs in 77mm. I like that the RF 14-35, RF 24-105 and RF 100-500 all take 77mm filters, it’s a great travel setup. I'd never tried a vND until getting the Canon drop-in adapter, which I use mainly with my TS-E 17/24 and EF 11-24.

The drop-in adapter is very nice, but you also need the clear insert unless you want to swap out for the vanilla adapter when you don't want a filter. There are 3rd party covers, but the drop-in adapter is very slightly longer than the vanilla adapter (to account for the glass thickness) and that means unless there's a filter in there infinity focus is lost (at least, it is with my TS-E 17 – perhaps other lenses focus further out).

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    I opted for a kit made be Freewell on a kick starter campaign. Includes a set of variable ND, fixed ND, as well as, a couple of graduated NDs. Which I used for the NC valley sunrise shots I will post soon.
    Hey Mike....are these drop in filters? Or screw in/magnetic. I looked and didn't see where Freewell had drop in filters, but easily could have missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    My most-used filters are CPL and 10-stop ND, which I have in 77mm and 82mm. I also have 6- and 3-stop NDs in 77mm. I like that the RF 14-35, RF 24-105 and RF 100-500 all take 77mm filters, it’s a great travel setup. I'd never tried a vND until getting the Canon drop-in adapter, which I use mainly with my TS-E 17/24 and EF 11-24.

The drop-in adapter is very nice, but you also need the clear insert unless you want to swap out for the vanilla adapter when you don't want a filter. There are 3rd party covers, but the drop-in adapter is very slightly longer than the vanilla adapter (to account for the glass thickness) and that means unless there's a filter in there infinity focus is lost (at least, it is with my TS-E 17 – perhaps other lenses focus further out).
    So, I actually have 3 filters: CPL, variable ND, and the clear. I haven't seen a 3rd party covers, so I am actually using the clear filter when not using the others. I do have other adapters that I can pivot too, but at the time I bought the R5 only the drop in filter RF-EF adapter was available, so I am putting it to some use.

Having all your lenses be the same filter size would be the other way to decrease what I carry. But, love my EF 24-70 II, which is 82 mm. Most used lens by far. Thus, I have carried both 77 mm (for 100-400 II and 16-35) and 82 mm (for 24-70 II) when traveling.

So, Breakthough finally got me with their ads, and I do have their variable ND coming. I'll do a quick comparison and if better I'll keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Having all your lenses be the same filter size would be the other way to decrease what I carry. But, love my EF 24-70 II, which is 82 mm. Most used lens by far. Thus, I have carried both 77 mm (for 100-400 II and 16-35) and 82 mm (for 24-70 II) when traveling.
    I did that when I had the EF 24-70/2.8 II. The TS-E 24L II also takes 82mm filters as did the EF 16-35/2.8 II that I had for a while, so for a period of time all I needed were the 82mm filters. Now that I have the RF 100-400 that takes 67mm filters (of which I have none, though I do have a step-up ring that precludes the hood), I need to decide if I'll get 67mm filters or just not use filters with the 100-400 (I haven't yet used them with the 100-500).

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    So, Breakthough finally got me with their ads, and I do have their variable ND coming. I'll do a quick comparison and if better I'll keep it.
    After my interactions with their founder on CR, I won't buy anything from them. But I hope they perform well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    After my interactions with their founder on CR, I won't buy anything from them. But I hope they perform well for you.
    They have twice had my money while I waited for products. Twice, upon my request, I was refunded. I will not pre-order from them again. I have seen some of their founders comments. So, yeah, combative. That said, the filters are great, as you can see in Bryan's review. My experience is the same, I prefer the Breakthrough ND filters over my B+W filters, but not so much that I replaced all my B+W filters. I am about 50/50 at this point. But, when I saw color cast in the Canon variable ND filter, I wanted to see if Breakthrough can do better.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ic_filter.html

Got it in kickstarter phase and got 3 of the gradient NDs as well
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911