Thread: Solar filter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Thanks again for the tips, Jonathan. I just ordered the ASTF 140 for my 600/4 II, the ASTF 120 that will fit either my 100-300/2.8 (600/5.6 in this scenario) or my daughter's 5" reflector telescope, and a pair of ASBF 50's for my Canon 10x42L's. I also ordered a pair of screw-in aluminum hoods for the binos, the Canon design for the two pairs I have (10x42L and 10x30 IS) is such that there's very little objective lens housing protrusion on which to push-mount the solar filters compared to 'typical' designs like the Nikons on the left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	binos.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	3035
    Can you let me know which lens hoods you got for the Canon 10x42? I have the same binos and agree that it's tough to attach the filters to it. I tried the size 50 first and it was too small. Then I went with a pair of size 70, and could not get them both on at the same time. So I decided on a hybrid solution which I think is going to work really well: I will attach a filter to one lens only, and add a few elastics to make sure it's on firmly. Then I can put the lens cap on the other lens, and view the partial phase through the filtered lens only. When the eclipse is total, I can flip off the lens cap quickly and switch to that side (unfiltered). That will be faster and simpler than trying to remove two filters from the binos. But I'm keen to hear more about your solution.
    Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 01-07-2024 at 03:40 PM.