PDA

View Full Version : Please help- 50D vs T1i

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Hey guys! First off, thanks for the great forums. Good discussions and helpful advice from the topics I've read through so far.

So,I'm tight on money but I need an upgrade from my XT. I'm a serious amateur and I'm between the 50D and T1i. I know, hard to compare the Rebel series to the XXD series, but thats where I'm at right now. I'm set on lenses, so either option would be body only.

The video on the T1i would be cool, but I wouldn't use it often and isn't that big of a deal for me. I've used them both at my local camera store and obviously the feel of the 50D is much better, but I just don't know if I can justify the extra cash for that...

I have read numerous reviews and have heard good and bad about both of them. Also, what about a 40D? I've heard a lot that the 40D can be just as good as the 50D. Perhaps thats a better option- especially since the price iscomparableto the T1i.

I'd love to hear what you guys think of these and any other possiblerecommendations.

So is it 50D, T1i, or 40D. Or maybe even something else?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

ShutterbugJohan
05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the forums! I'd go with the 50D. If you decide you don't want to spend the cash, get a 40D. I would put the T1i last, even though its screen is (much) better than the one on the 40D. The 40D/50D ergonimics are much better. BTW, I like the tag "Too many choices". LOL!

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks Johan! Appreciate the input and I'll take it into consideration. Idefinitely agree theergonomicsare much better on the 40D and 50D. Yes, the new screen would be nice, but even the 40D screen is a huge step up from the XT!

And haha thanks!

Sean Setters
05-28-2009, 10:39 PM
@ Andrew

I've owned the Rebel XTi and the 50D. It was difficult at first getting used to the controls on the 50D, but it's certainly worth suffering through the learning curve. It's a really great camera that shines best with good quality glass attached to it. Make sure you set aside some money to get a really good high-quality all-purpose lens. I made my lens choices based on Bryan's recommendations--the 17-55 f/2.8 IS & the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. The 17-55 stays on my camera most of the time, but the 70-200 is a nice tool to have when you need it. ;-)

You might want to get the 40D and use the extra money to [help] purchase a good lens...

moldovamark
05-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I was faced with the same upgrade decision and did exactly as Sean describes--I got the 40D and applied the difference in price to the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8. I couldn't be happier.

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the response Sean! I've played around with the 50D at the store and actually started to get the basic controls fairly quick, so that shouldn't be an issue.

As far as lenses go, I think I'm fine. I have the 17-40 f/4L (my fav), 70-200 f/4L, and the 50 f/1.8, as well as the 18-55 kit lens for worst casescenariobackup.

Thanks again for the input,

Andrew

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks! If I didn't have the lenses I did now, that sounds like a winning combo and I'd go with something like that. But for now, I'd rather just get a body and keep my current lenses.

Still appreciate the input, though! [:)]

Sean Setters
05-28-2009, 10:55 PM
@andrew

Wow, your lens collection looks quite sufficient. Hell, go all out--get the 50D. If you want, check out my flickr photostream ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/budrowilson/) to see what the 50D, good glass, and a few flashes can do.

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Haha thanks Sean! Great pictures, too!

Benjamin
05-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Good question. First, please let me clear up the differences between the two bodies.

In the following ways the 50D is distinguishably better than the T1i:

Better ergonomics & built tougher

Faster & more comfortable control (once you get used to the dials the 50D is much faster to handle
Much better focusing system (all cross type sensors makes a huge difference both in speed and sensitivity!)
Faster speed (Solid 6FPS, shorter mirror blackout time, shorter shutter lag)
Larger & brighter Viewfinder
More durable shutter (100,000 vs 50,000)

The T1i wins in the following two ways as I can see:

Potentially better image quality at high ISOs
movie mood

I think your choice between these two cameras will still depend on what kind of photography you'd like to do. If you shoot fast sport or you will need the extra weather sealing for using it outdoor, the 50D is certainly recommended. But if you shoot portrait most of the time then the T1i is good for the job. As a 50D owner who once owned the XTi, I feel hard to go back to the Rebel line as I'm not used to the arrow keys anymore. The 50D certainly gives me more confidence to shoot anything anywhere, it feels solid and tough.

The image quality difference is noticeable on the conparisons that Bryan has done, however, at low ISO speeds you will not likely to notice any difference at all. Even at high ISO such amount of difference is hard to see in practice.

The bottom line is that the 50D is overall a more capable camera, I feel it's at a different level than the Rebels. If money allow, the 50D is worth it for an upgrade from the Rebels. Only if the movie mood is not a must - that's certainly something that the 50D cannot do forever...[:)]

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 11:33 PM
Benjamin,

Thanks for the great response! I do shoot sports and more high-speed action photography more often than portraits, so the frame rate on the 50D is a big plus. I agree with how the 50D makes you feel more confident, it just feels so much better to hold and use.

High ISO with the 50D is a problem, but rarely do I need to use a high ISO. Plus, either camera will be a huge upgrade from the noise on the XT... So I don't think that ISO too much of a problem.

Movie mode isdefinitelynot a need, just a cool add-on to use every now and then. So, besides the movie mode and lower price (and maybe ISO performance), I see no reason to take the T1i over the 50D!

Thanks again for the great response and enjoy your 50D!

-Andrew

Sean Setters
05-28-2009, 11:40 PM
The ISO performance on the 50D is substantially better than on my XTi. With the XTi, I refused to shoot at any ISO higher than 200. With the 50D, I can shoot at ISO 800 and be decently satisfied with the results. The T1i might give it a run for its money, but either camera will be much better than your XT in high-ISO performance.

ShutterbugJohan
05-28-2009, 11:47 PM
More durable shutter (100,000 vs 50,000)

They are actually both rated for 100,000 shots according the the review.

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I thought it was 50,000 as well, but Johan is right. I just checked the review- T1i is rated at 100,000.

andrew_a
05-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks Sean. Yeah, same here. I do anything and everything possible to keep the noise down on the XT... Luckily, though, I rarely need the high ISO speeds, so it isn't too big of an issue for me

crosbyharbison
05-28-2009, 11:59 PM
the XXD series is on a 12 month release schedule so if you can wait untill August the 60d will have the video mode for you and will (probably) have a much larger improvement over the T1i in the ISO department.

andrew_a
05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Good point! I knew the 60D release was imminent, but the thing is, I have multiple photography jobs over the summer, so I need the best I can get now. I suppose once the 60D comes out I could sell the 50D and get the 60D, if it is worth it...

Thanks for the reply!

clemmb
05-29-2009, 01:05 AM
40D

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
05-29-2009, 01:15 AM
You've already had a Rebel, if you can and looks like you can, it's time to move on to a xxD body, I'd get a 50D for it's all its newer technology.

Oren
05-29-2009, 07:57 AM
50D all the way lol... or either a 40D, but not a rebel.

My new 50D is also my first DSLR. I saw a friend's rebel few weeks ago and it felt so small and I felt like "where the heck I put my hand to hold it".

I'm not going to tell you he benefits as I guess you did your homework and the guys here told you them anyway.

You are also already set with your lenses and you shoot sports, so the 50D (or 40D) seems like the right tool for you.

Last thing, regarding ISO, even though you don't need it much - after looking again at Bryan's high ISO comparison between the 50D and 500D, I'm not sure at all that the 500D is doing better than the 50D - looks pretty much the same to me.

With the 50D you can shoot with ISO 800 without thinking twice (ok well I think twice even when I'm using ISO 200 but that's just me and my passion to perfection LOL).

In some situations, you can also get *great* shots at ISO 3200 and even 6400 I believe.

That's it for now, I'm off for lunch and then I'm gonna carry out my own high ISO performance tests with the 50D in "real world" (= my house LOL :P) rather then in the "lab". I already did that before but it was in the "lab" and only for ISO 800 and 1600, this time I'm going to check more seriously the 50D performance at ISO 3200, 6400 and 12800.

Cheers.

Benjamin
05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
the XXD series is on a 12 month release schedule
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I seriously doubt if Canon's going to do 12 months once again. Canon has once almost did the same thing in history when updating the D60 with the 10D, but they always just put back the production circle to 1.5 year after all. During the time between now and the end of 2009, Canon has much more anticipated products to be introduced such as the 2000D and the 1D Mark IV (i'm on this one!). It makes sense to get these two cameras done before giving the birth of a new 60D - because the time frame for such a schedule is more reasonable. The time for the introduction of 60D (or, actually, whatever it's gonna be called) naturally sits around the next PMA. That's the time line that I suggest. Looking at the current 50D, it's in no way worth an update as it still feels fresh and modern.

I will be totally amazed if Canon updates the 50D before the other two cameras I mentioned above.

But I agree with you, waiting is probably a way to consider too. However, I just noticed that the 50D here in Canada is sold at roughly CAD$1200 and the T1i is at CAD$1000 (according to Aden Camera ("http://www.adencamera.com/)), but in the US the 50D is sold at USD$1200 but the T1i is $800 (According to B&amp;H, and I assume that you're in the US). Some $200 difference is easy to overcome, but if I'm facing a $400 premium, i'll need to think hard too.

The T1i in the US looks like a bargain.

Hopefully my add-on does not toughen your choice...

Mark Elberson
05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]As a current 50D owner and previous Rebel owner I can say without hesitation to go with the 50D.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]Like Benjamin said, on top of all the other upgrades:
<div><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]

Better ergonomics &amp; built tougher
Faster &amp; more comfortable control (once you get used to the dials the 50D is much faster to handle
Much better focusing system (all cross type sensors makes a huge difference both in speed and sensitivity!)
Faster speed (Solid 6FPS, shorter mirror blackout time, shorter shutter lag)
Larger &amp; brighter Viewfinder

<font face="'Courier New'" style="font-size: 10pt;"]

The feel and build quality is far superior.
</font>

</div>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Courier New';"]My father came out of an XT up to a 50D and he loves it too.

peety3
05-29-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm a serious amateur with a good income from my day job, so when my Minolta got stolen I bought a 1D Mark III. While I was waiting for it, I bought an XTi. In the three weeks between the XTi purchase and the 1D3 arrival, my girlfriend got a 40D. So, I use all three 2007-vintage 10mp cameras. :)

Bottom line for me: the XTi is about to go up for sale, because the user interface is just so incredibly different than the one- or two-digit product lines. It's just not a suitable "backup" body for either of us. (I will admit that she thinks we're getting a 50D as our next body, while I think it's going to be a 1D4...)

Go for the 40D - it was an impressive value (features per dollar) for the price when it came out, and for the steal that it is these days it's just such a nice body to have. Only issue we've had with her 40D (other than operator error) is the Canon vertical grip went out to lunch one time, disabling BOTH shutter buttons. Otherwise, it's a reliable shooting machine, delivering what the operator told it to produce every time. 50D gives you a better screen and more pixels. If you're making wall-size prints from well-lit scenes, the 50D might have an advantage, otherwise the "features per dollar" scale points to the 40D in my opinion.

Benjamin
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Ohh, I forgot this one. One more thing that I will buy a 50D over the T1i is the AF micro-adjustment. That's one of the most userful tools I have used to date, and that saves my 85/1.8.

But to Canon it really does not cost them anything to imbed such a feature to the T1i... But i guess marketing is more important to them.

andrew_a
05-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Hey thanks a ton for the input everyone! Much appreciated.

I've taken all of your ideas/recommendations into consideration. As of right now the 40D and 50D are looking the best.

Thanks again,

Andrew

andrew_a
05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Ok well after some more consideration and posting on other forums, here's where I'm at...

40D- $940 (body+extra battery)
T1i- $1060 (body+battery grip+extra battery+memory cards)
50D- $1250 (body+extra battery)

Does anyone know when the T1i body is going to be available? My local camera store
says its custom order and when they get it in they'll ship it in to me. B&amp;HsaidApprox. Arrival May, but now it says Approx. Arrival June.

Thanks

andrew_a
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Hey everyone!

Just ordered a 50D!!!!! [:)]

Thanks for all of your help, I'll keep you posted once I get it.

Thanks again!

-Andrew, the proud new owner of a 50D!

Oren
06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
[Y]

Colin
06-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Okay, maybe I've just got a little bit of body envy [:)]

cian3307
06-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Definitely 40D or 50D over the T1i simply for the faster fps if you are into action photography. I am currently upgrading from a 400D mainly because the 3fps is too slooooooooow! I've taken so many sequences where I know one of the 'in between' shots would have been a real keeper if I had 6+ fps. I can't comment from personal experience yet, but the more accurate AF on the 40/50D's should be a decider too.

Ragingblues
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I have a 50D and find the so called reviews claiming poor high ISO performance to be a giant load of crap. Not only was I very happy with the quality of such shots early on with this camera, I have been extremely impressed with the results after updating the firmware to the recent release. A friend of mine has two 5D MKIIs and thinks the 50D puts out the same level of low noise performance, after updating the firmware.

I can see no possible scenario where the T1i would be a better choice unless you have really small hands, or just want the video recording feature it offers.

Ken

andrew_a
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Okay, maybe I've just got a little bit of body envy /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Haha it's alright

andrew_a
06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Ken,

Glad to hear the high ISO performance is good!

-Andrew

andrew_a
06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi all! Got my 50D today!!! [:)]

alexniedra
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm glad for you! I'm happy you went with the 50D. I feel you will appreciate it much more than the T1i.

Enjoy it!

Oren
06-05-2009, 05:14 PM
That's cool [H]

andrew_a
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks all! I absolutely love it!!