PDA

View Full Version : 17-85IS lens creep?

Bill W
05-29-2009, 10:28 AM
For those of you that own this lens; have you experienced creep w/it? If so; have you sent it in for a repair and what was the cost?

My 17-85IS creep has become serious and I have to be conscious of the angle I hold it at, so it doesn't slap to full extension.

Thanks in advance for your input....

Bill

Benjamin
05-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I once owned the lens and it creeps from day one, and I also see other copy of 17-85 lenses creep. So I guess it's a rather common phenomenon.

I doubt if there's anything you can do about it rather than just hold it tight when shooting with big angles. My 24-70L after quite some time of use creeps just slightly when zoomed out to 24mm and sit upright.But if it creeps really badly, you may want to drop by Canon service centre and you should be eligible for a free repair especially when the lens is still covered by warantee.

Bottom line is that lens creeping will not affect the image quality, as you may already know.

Oren
05-30-2009, 05:47 AM
My 17-85 is only 5 weeks old so I don't know if that helps or not, but it doesn't creep at all.

Derek Reese
05-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I've had my 17-85 for a few years and never had any creep at all.

Benjamin
05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Hmm... May be that's because I added a thick Tiffen class filter onto the lens as well as a lens hood and that added some weight and the lens barrel wonldn't hold the weight anymore?... But certainly I have seen enough 17-85 lenses creep.

Derek Reese
05-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Interesting. Mine has a B&W UV filter and Hood and still doesn't creep at all.

Oren
05-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! [;)]

joback
05-30-2009, 05:53 PM
It seems to me that creep is only a problem if it spoils a shot. Get in the habit of holding your camera with your left hand on the lens, not the camera body. Wrap your leftthumb anda finger around the zoom ring and keep it there--always, even when you're just walking around. If you do that while taking candid or action photography, you'll always be ready to swing that viewfinder up and snap away--at any angle. It's natural, comfortable, and creep iscontrolled.

alexniedra
05-30-2009, 06:46 PM
<div>

Well said, Joback!

And I agree: Lens creep should not be considered a significant nuissance, as long as it doesn't stop you from producing the images you need. Gravity is there, and will always be there.

Like Joback said, it would be a good (great) idea to getting in the habit of putting your hand around the lens, gripped from the bottom. That way when the moment comes to shoot, you can just swing up, compose, and shoot.

So, my take: Follow Joback's advice.
</div>

Bill W
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Joback;

From my perspective concerning the creep; your suggestion isn't an acceptable solution to me.

My reasoning is as follows; first, there will be situations (short term memory loss[:)] ) where I will remove my left hand and the lens will slap to full extension. Then spotting a quick shooting opportunity, raising the camera causing me to re-zoom, re-focus and missing the op.

Secondly, your suggestion of removing your right hand and holding only the zoom ring w/your left hand, even while walking around doesn't sound feasible to me. From my perspective even the body movement necessary for walking would have an affect upon my left hand which will cause movement of the zoom ring (mine is easily moved).

Finally, from a mechanical stand point, the lens isn't made this way, so it has become a mechanical deficiency. I am not one to accept nor create a particular habit to compensate for mechanical deficiencies in my equipment, whether it affects the shot or not. Which (w/my short term memory loss and the continual slapping to full extension) eventually (assumption) will affect the shot results by disrupting the internal mechanisms.

Now before you decide to answer (maybe?) concerning your suggestion and my reply. Allow me to present a theoretical situation to you (and Alex); Derek Reese (same lens set up plus no creep) and I both decide to sell our lenses at the same time. Both of us, being highly ethical people and wanting to keep our good standing status on this forum, give full disclosure concerning our lenses.

Our descriptions of the lenses are the same, asking price is the same, but the difference between the 2 lenses is the creep....which would be your preference in purchasing?

I'm not asking if the creep would stop you from purchasing my lens, but simply which lens would you (or Alex) prefer to purchase? I know I'd go w/the non-creeper.

Looks like for those you w/creepers, it hasn't progressed to the point of wanting to fix the lens. I guess I'll call Canon and get an answer and I'll get back to you w/my results.

Thank you for everybody's input....

Bill

joback
06-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks, Bill. Your points are well taken. We all have personal preferences and things we won't put up with. If you can afford new equipment, you have my blessing to go with God (Canon!). I'm just saying thatimage quality isall that really matters to me. I'm not going to get rid of a great piece of glass because of a (to me) minor annoyance.

Concerning holding your camera with your lefthand always on the lens, that's just the right"ready to shoot" position (thumb on top, fingers cupping under the lens).I almost always re-frame eachshot at least a little.More importantly, you'll get sharper photos because the camerais steadierwhen you hold it this way. Keeping hold of the lens is just practical sense.At least give it a try. It really is comfortable and natural after a while.

As far as I know, mostCanon lenses will not creep if you hold onto thezoom ring.Canon has been inconsistent with zoom-focus ring placement. Lens models with the zoom ringat least somewhataway from the camera bodyarea bit easier touse. If the zoom ring is out in front, I wrap my thumb and index around it. If it's near the body, I use thumb and ring finger.

-John O.

Colin
06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Mine has a B+W UV filter as well - I doubt that a hood will cause it to creep... actually, if you can cause my lens to creep by putting a hood on it, I'm giving you my 50D + 17-85 as a prize! /emoticons/emotion-5.gif
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

*Starts custom fabrication of custom lens hood made with section of 4" galvanized plumbing pipe*

*looks forward to his new 50D/17-85*

Oren
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Colin, would you like me to send it using FedEx or UPS? haha lol

Anyway, I'm with Bill here. You (guys) also forgot another situation - what if one is using their lens on a tripod which is pointed down or up? Should he put his hand on the zoom ring while using a tripod? That would be ridiculous.

Bill - call Canon.

joback
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Oren: You got me, there. However, I would counter that in this age of high ISOs and phenomenal image stabilization, who needs a tripod?Peace!

Bill W
06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
John;

I appreciate your input, but you have diverted the point of my original question in this thread.

I don't have concerns about this lens' IQ, or how to hold the lens, or set up to take sharper photos, etc.....my concern/question is strictly about the creep and getting this lens repaired.

Also, the only blessings I'd need for a purchase of a new lens, would be my wife's [:D] .....but my 17-85 and 100-400 cover my photographic needs quite nicely.

Regards

Bill

joback
06-01-2009, 06:44 PM
You're right Bill, sorry: Went off on a tangent. Repair pricesvary. If you're going to get your lens repaired, make sure the shop is reputable and stands behind its work. Some shops are way better than others (check them out). You need a firm estimate. Don't pay anything up front.Then it's just a matter of deciding if the cost is worth it to you. If it's L-glass, it might be. Your EF-S might not. If it were me...well, we've been down that road already.