PDA

View Full Version : Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and Canon Dslr XSI

Buddhakon
06-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Just wondering will the Canon EF 24-105mm L series lense work on a Canon XSI? Thanks

peety3
06-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Yes, Canon EF-mount lenses will work on any Canon DSLR. All L-series lenses are EF-mount.

Canon EF-S mount lenses will only work on EF-S capable DSLR bodies. If there's a white square on the lens mount, an EF-S lens will work on it.

ShutterbugJohan
06-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Absolutely! Any Canon EF-S or EF mount lens (nearly all L lenses are EF mount) will work on any Canon EOS camera, including the XSi. There are also special-use lenses that will also work, such as the MP-E Macro and TS-E Tilt-Shift lenses.

Buddhakon
06-08-2009, 01:26 PM
will there be any short comings using an EF lens since the image sensor on the XSI is not full frame? I was told that using a non EF-S lense may have black spots in the viewfinder...I don't know how but thats what I've been told...Thanks

ShutterbugJohan
06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
will there be any short comings using an EF lens since the image sensor on the XSI is not full frame?

Only when using wide-angles. A full-frame wide-angle lens (such as 16-35/2.8L) is less efficient than an EF-S lens of similar focal length (such as 17-55/2.8IS) when using a crop body like the XSi, since the 16-35L is designed as a wide-angle lens, while the EF-S 17-55 is designed as a normal lens. That is why the EF-S 17-55 can have a larger zoom range and IS while still costing less money.

I was told that using a non EF-S lense may have black spots in the viewfinder...I don't know how but thats what I've been told...

It is not true that a non-EF-S lens will cause black spots. The black spots in the viewfinder are most likely caused by dust that got inside the camera during a lens change and landed on the focusing screen. The dust visible in the viewfinder wil not show up in the pictures.