PDA

View Full Version : Need Your Opinion Regarding Additional Forums

Bryan Carnathan
06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Some of the most popular threads have been the "Post Your ________ Shots" in the "Image Critique" and "Show & Tell" Forums. So, I'm asking - Would you like subject-specific sub-forums added to one or both of these forums? Or would your rather continue with thesubject-specific threads within the existingforums?

If adding new sub-forums, should they be added to the "Image Critique", "Show & Tell" or both forums?

If adding new sub-forums, which specific forums should be added? Portraits/People and Nature are two of thepopular subjects for us.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Bryan

Bob
06-18-2009, 12:25 PM
<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Bryan,<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Some of the other forums have too many sub-categories. My vote is to keep is simple, technical issues and show your photos works for me.

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 11pt;"]Bob<o:p></o:p>

Fast Glass
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I cast my vote with Bob.

TheRoff
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Ditto with the other two posters. KISS is nice.

Larry

IAMB
06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Add another ditto to the pile... keep it simple.

Jon Ruyle
06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I like the idea of sub categories. It's a little silly (though it works fine, and I have no real problem with it) having a single thread for all nature photos. Making sub categories such as "portrait", "nature", "macro", "sports" etc. seems to make a lot of sense.

DavidEccleston
06-18-2009, 02:03 PM
I tend to read the site by going to the "Latest Forum Posts" page, so any separation of into sub forums would make no difference. I find that most sites with dozens of specialized forums can be rather annoying to navigate, and a pain read about everything you're into... I guess it really depends on how high the site traffic is. Right now I don't see a need for specialization based on volume of traffic here.

Bill W
06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I much prefer the simpler approach, but for the Nature category I wouldn't mind seeing 2 sub-settings, e.g. wildlife (just animals) and landscape (wide angle to macro).

Regards

Bill

Don Burkett
06-18-2009, 03:01 PM
As this evolves I think there will be a time to branch out, for now it's fine.

There are 2 things I would like, I would like 10 topics shown vs 5 topics on the Browse Discussion Page. Second, I would like a page navigation object at the top of a page in addtion to the bottom of the page. If I open a discussion of 5 pages, I have to scroll to the bottom of the screen thread to select a new page number or the next page. I would like to have the ability to do that at the top as well

mattsartin
06-18-2009, 04:54 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing two sub-folders, one for show and tell, the other for Q and A

piiooo
06-18-2009, 05:06 PM
I like the forum just the way it is.

powers_brent
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I agree with Don and Davidwhole heartedly!!! I view based on the latest forum posts. Every once in a while I search specific categories, but not often. Checking the forums multiple times a day, I do not feel it necessary to go to specific categories.

powers_brent
06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
And yes ten recent posts instead of five would be amazing!

Derek Reese
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Frankly, I'm not sure there's really enough traffic on this forum to warrant additional sub categories. I think sub categories really only become useful when there's just so much posting going on that you've got pages of threads being posted to every day. For example, it's 6pm EDT, and so far today (18 hours into the day) only 12 threads have been posted to. So it makes it easy at a glance to see if there's any activity which is of interest. It also means that threads don't get pushed down very much which means it's not likely your thread will go unoticed because it gets pushed 3 pages back in less than a day. That just doesn't happen here.

ShutterbugJohan
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I just use the "Not Read" page, so additional categories wouldn't make any differnce for me.

Bryan Carnathan
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I'll leave things as-is at this time.

I'm having many problems with the forum software right now. After months of effort, support gave up - told me I would have to wait until the next release. I just got word yesterday that the new release becomes available next week. I don't know if I'm ready to be the first site on the new software, but ... I probably won't wait too long before upgrading.

When the upgrade happens, things might look a little different -improved I expect- and I may have more configuration options at that time. I'll increase the number of posts showing if that is an option.

Thanks,

Bryan