PDA

View Full Version : "Expensive" becomes relative to a serious camera buff...

Cory
06-19-2009, 02:34 AM
So, I just caught myself recent doing something I've been denying for a year or so (after I relized I was doing it).

$1500 for a new bike I want? Nah, too expensive to jusitify to myself.

$1800 spent on my (first ever needed repair) car. Damn that was a lot!

...and so on...

But $1400 for a new lens... not that much compared to what some of the lenses cost. [^o)]

How many of you find that when you take something that you think is "too much" and a lens that costs roughly the same amount... you find yourself justifying the lens purchase much easier?

It's a sickness we have.

Colin
06-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Sickness/Passion/Obsession...

[:)]

Yeah, it is...

naturegrapher
06-19-2009, 04:31 AM
I surely suffer from that sickness.... Have been thinking of changing my car but every time I end with with a decent amount in the bank, I end up buying a camera or a lens or film.

Sean Setters
06-19-2009, 08:51 AM
I suffer from it too. I know exactly what you're talking about.

alexniedra
06-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Yep - Me three.

I'm always saying - We'll I do have some money... Maybe I'll buy that new bike - I was seriously looking at an Opus road bike for a while.

And then I would go up the street to the camera shop, and I would ask to try the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L, and then I'd take back everything I had said about the bike.

My parents must think I'm crazy sometimes...[:D]

Mark Elberson
06-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I've got it really bad! I just put the finishing touches on my glass kit, for now [:P] with my most recent purchase of the venerableEF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS and all I can think about is getting a couple more Speedlites and maybe even put together a studio lighting kit...AlienBees anyone?

Keith B
06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah I went over the top real quick. I finally feel content with my lens line up 16-35 2.8 II, 24 1.4, 50 1.4, 70-200 2.8 IS and 100-400. I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye. I have a 430EX and 2 580EXII and am thinking about getting one more 580EXII. Then my next thing will be a Hensel Porty and a couple heads. But I'm going to wait a bit on that and try to replenish my savings account.

Mark Elberson
06-19-2009, 10:04 AM
I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye.
<p style="CLEAR: both"]
<p style="CLEAR: both"]I seem to recall you saying before that you've only taken about 100 pictures using your fisheye but it seems like such a fun lens (to use on occasion). I bet you'd miss it at times. When I get a full frame body that lens will be added to my wish list

<p style="CLEAR: both"]On the other hand, its sale could probably finance your Hensel Porty :)

Bill W
06-19-2009, 10:17 AM
I opted for the new bike last year....custom Ti roadie that cost more than my new '74 TR6. I just didn't feel comfortable about spending that much on the 500 f4 IS.

Funny part is when talking to friends, they didn't blink at the cost of the bike, but when I mentioned the lens and its cost....the expressions and comments were of incredulous disbelief.

I put 3k on the bike in the first season......I wonder how many photos I'd have w/the 500 in the same time frame?

Hmm, 70-200 f4 IS or 70-200 f2.8 IS?

It is a disease with expensive cures that aren't permanent.

Regards

Bill

TheRoff
06-19-2009, 10:58 AM
We all probably suffer with the "L" disease. Not curable, but is put in remission with the purchase of more glass.[*-)]

alexniedra
06-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Funny part is when talking to friends, they didn't blink at the cost of the bike, but when I mentioned the lens and its cost....the expressions and comments were of incredulous disbelief.

Same thing with me! "Yeah, I just dropped $2600 for that MacBook Pro". "Oh, me? I bought some camera lenses". "What?!""

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend &gt;$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.

Maybe I should show them the 1200 f/5.6 L. That'll show them. [:D]

Keith B
06-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I sold my 24-105 and am on the fence about selling my fisheye.
<p style="CLEAR:both;"]
<p style="CLEAR:both;"]I seem to recall you saying before that you've only taken about 100 pictures using your fisheye but it seems like such a fun lens (to use on occasion). I bet you'd miss it at times. When I get a full frame body that lens will be added to my wish list

<p style="CLEAR:both;"]On the other hand, its sale could probably finance your Hensel Porty :)

Well I actually did sell it on eBay but the buyer bailed out and I'm thinking it may have been a sign to keep it. I used it a lot more on my 40D, on my 5DII it is fun but I find I can get a similar less distorted effect with the 16-35.

Same thing with me! "Yeah, I just dropped $2600 for that MacBook Pro". "Oh, me? I bought some camera lenses". "What?!""

It's all about priorities. My friends will spend &gt;$1800 for computers, iPods, clothing... etc. But when I tell them about a lens that costs $1800, they think I'm nuts.

Maybe I should show them the 1200 f/5.6 L. That'll show them./emoticons/emotion-2.gif

This is where I know I have a problem, I use to upgrade my Macs every 2 years. Now that I have cameras to occupy my need to blow money I keep my computers longer. I'll put a new body or a lens or two in front of a new computer.

Well played Canon.

Mark Elberson
06-19-2009, 11:23 AM
<p style="CLEAR: both"]

<p style="CLEAR: both"]I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

peety3
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm always saying - We'll I do have some money... Maybe I'll buy that new bike - I was seriously looking at an Opus road bike for a while.

And then I would go up the street to the camera shop, and I would ask to try the 24-70 L or the 70-200 L, and then I'd take back everything I had said about the bike.

Thankfully I "finished" equipping my bike last year - Garmin Edge 705 and the Quarq Cinqo powermeter crankset. If I had a surplus of money, I'd get new wheels to replace the factory set, but they're good enough so I'm safe.

Lately, I just struggle trying to sort the wishlist to determine what's on top. I think the answer is a second "good" body - Rebel XTi backing up a 1D Mark III is just too much of a mismatch. But, I want a set of the new PocketWizard goodies...and in the lens department I can't decide whether to get the 24-70, 35L, or 24L2 next. :)

Rodger
06-19-2009, 12:24 PM
All I know is that I wasplanning on a new snowboard deck for this summer. Not gonna happen. haha. Strobe kit and lens took that place. My parents were astonished when I said I'd rather save up for some lenses than a car. Afterall, a car means: up front price + insurance + gas. Why pay that when I can take their car?

Being content is a hard lesson in the first place. Canon makes it no easier.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyhobby, if taken seriously, costs money. So if you're serious about photography it's nothing wrongwhen dropping thousand of bucks on equipments.

I often don't understand why my friend spends 2 grands on rims for their car while the stock ones would do justfine.On the other handhe justdoesn'tunderstand why Ispend the same amount of money ona big old camera with a gigantic lens.

Keith B
06-19-2009, 02:02 PM
I always do the justification thing and say I can make money with my stuff. But I find that every time I make a $500 on gigs I turn around and spend $1000. So I'm still a little upside-down.

Sickness.

Jon Ruyle
06-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Anyhobby, if taken it seriously, costs money. So if you're serious about photography it's nothing wrongwhen dropping thousand of bucks on equipments.

I often don't understand why my friend spends 2 grands on rims for their car while the stock ones would do justfine.

Well said, and don't get me started on cars. Others spend $75,000 on a car, that's fine. I spend $2000 for a lens and I'm an irresponsible freak madman crazyhead.

When I got my first job, I spent $10,000 on a telescope. It was so big I needed a truck to haul it around... an $800 truck. Crazy crazy crazy, right? If I had spent $10,800 on a truck to commute in (and never hauled anything with it) I would have been considered reasonable.

PhotoJ
06-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Every time I look at Canon L lens and read the reviews, I want it. Latest is 70-200 2.8 L IS $l600. Not just yet!!!!

It's a sickness OK, but a good one, when you see the results..............

gunslinge
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I went even further; Selling items from the last hobby to pay for this hobby; selling two pistols to buy the Tokina 12-24, and a 100 year old Savage 99 in the scariest of avaible calibers for the 100-400.

Oh Well. I shoot more with the new lens, than with the old guns.

Guess it is nothing new, I have 4 Canon film camera too.

EdN
06-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Like everyone else, I spend lots on nice Canon stuff. How I justify it is that it's the equivalent to other people buying boats, 4x4's, campers, snowmobiles, cabins at the lake, etc. (One of my buddies who has a 4x4, camper, and boat is getting bitten by the photo bug after seeing results of my stuff. He has a Rebel XT, just got his second L lens, and now wants a better body.)

asmodai
06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm with you all on this.

It's legit valuation, I think. You'd NEVER catch me dead dropping any money on a TV, ever, but last year I threw a grand at getting a nice NEC monitor. I refuse to pay money to have the dents dinged out of my car, but I'll spend my 35L away for a $200 repair the second it gets soft on me.

For me it's a consumption/production thing. I hate the idea of being a good little consumerist and buying more crap with my wages; but having the tools which let me make pretty, pretty photos-- a joy which is initself devoid of commercial perverversions and corporate interests-- is worh a lot to me.

Cory
06-19-2009, 10:26 PM
A least most of what we buy (in terms of good quality Canon lenses) can be resold for only a pretty minor loss...

Most the other stuff people spend their money on really retain very little resale value.

piiooo
06-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't even discuss my purchases with anyone who's not into photography. They just don't get it! You're so right though. I have a friend who buys a new $500 driver (golf) every season but if he knew it would take two of them to pay for my EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS he would call me crazy!!!

I think that's the way to go. They just don't understand us [;)]

Jarhead5811
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]In my family it is practically a sin to sell a firearm. As a former Marine and shooting enthusiast I find myself literally emotionally attached to them. So, when I tell you I sold my Smith and Wesson .500 to buy photography equipment it should state allot.I have other interest in life but can only grudgingly bring myself to spend any money on them now.<o:p></o:p>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]I have buddies who spend thousands on a custom rifle and over a thousand on glass (a scope) to go on it. They think I'm nutty for planning to get a $1600.00 lens. These same guys shoot nothing but paper with their expensive rifles. They don't even hunt! I've got some fine rifles myself from my bacheloryearsbut find myself thinking: Hmmm...if I sold this one I could get a 5D MII a nice lens... Or if I sold that one it could be my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS... I'm still sick about the .500.

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]Why could I not have gotten into photograph when I was single and had the cash to spare?

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana;"]YES, it is an illness, no doubt. [:S]

mpphoto12
06-24-2009, 03:34 PM
hahah cool and thanks for your service :)

Cory
06-24-2009, 10:14 PM
I ordered a Pelican case for my growing camera gear collection (wasn't fitting in a shoulder bag anymore) and ordered a case for my Para-Ordnance P13.45 (and extras) at the same time. There are a number of things I'd like to spend on it (some custom work, a built in laser, etc) but I always think: I'll be shooting much more with the camera equipment!

Keith B
06-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Love my pelican case. Best investment, well birthday gift ever.

gunslinge
06-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Exactly, I can go to my field and shoot pictures everyday, even before work ( best time to find dew drops on the grass ). But have to drive 60 to 90 miles one way to shoot my guns ( Cowboy Action Shooting ) , and thats just once a week.

Colin
06-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Maybe you should consider archery.

I shoot inside my bedroom, if it's too dark in the yard.[:)]

Of course the neighbors would be irritated if they found their cat with a stray arrow through it.... just don't draw aiming up...