PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Canon Transmitter ST-E2

tank
06-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello,

I would like to get the flash off the camera to expand my opportunities. I have never used off camera flash before and I would like to know how wellthe Canon equipment works. I have read that the Canon Transmitter works with inferred light signals and understand that they are somewhat limited and can be "confused" sometimes and that there distance is limited.

Also,will the TTL system still work?

I have a 30D and 1 580 EX version 1 and will possibly add another flash.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Tank

Jarhead5811
06-22-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm assuming you've read the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 Review ("http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Speedlite-Transmitter-ST-E2-Review.aspx). I've got an ST-E2 and two 430EXs and have been having a blast. Yes, TTL still works. Being I've only used it indoors I can't comment on outdoor use, but I've had no problems at all.

markcoons
06-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I own one and use it all the time. But it does have limitations. Large rooms and outdoors can be troublesome. Overall it does what it says it will do. But if you will be using it outdoors I'd recommend saving your money and going with PocketWizards.

tank
06-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Thank you

Keith B
06-24-2009, 02:00 PM
In the case of big rooms or outdoors, always have the body of the flash pointed in the camera's general direction and use the swivel to point the head in the subjects direction. I usually have good success outdoors and big rooms. I even put mine inside a soft box and fire 99% of the time. If I do have issues it is usually low battery power in the flashes themselves.

Tony Printezis
06-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd recommend saving your money and going with PocketWizards.

(I hope the original poster doesn't mind me asking this...) I was actually looking into getting PWs and maybe one more flash (I have a 40D / 580EX II combo). Will sticking to the "original" PW Plus II enough? Or is it worth considering their new products (MiniTT1 / FlexTT5)?

Tony

markcoons
06-25-2009, 05:10 PM
If you use the original PW's then you will be using them to shoot in manual but if you think you will want/need eTTL then get the newer ones.

Tony Printezis
06-26-2009, 07:11 AM
If you use the original PW's then you will be using them to shoot in manual but if you think you will want/need eTTL then get the newer ones.

Ah, thanks for this. I hadn't realized the old didn't do eTTL.

Tony

markcoons
06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
It's not necessarily a bad thing Tony. I will use eithermanual flash or eTTL based on the situation, so it's nice to have options. When I want to shoot eTTL it is a lot easier to just slap the the ST-E2 on the camera. To shoot manual takes a little more setup time.

I use manual flash when doing portraiture in a static (I can't really call it a studio setting) setting or when I'm shooting outdoors. When I do product photography or an event that just needs a little off camera flash I use the ST-E2.

The problem with PW's is it gets kind of pricey, as you need several of them. I most generally use at least 2 flashes so that means I am using 3 PW's.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Tony Printezis
06-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Mark,

Hi. You're definitely given me food for thought. Assuming the following prices:

PWs : $200 (each model)

ST-E2: $200

580EX II : $350

(the prices are in the right ballpark; don't hassle me if they are not accurate to the penny!)

Let's assume that I want two trigger two remove flashes (and let's assume that I own both flashes). If I go PW, then it'd cost $400 more to get the PW gear (ST-E2: $200, 3x PWs: $600). In fact, for the extra money, I'd be able to get a third 580EX II (i.e., three flashes and a trigger) and have another $50 left. Alternatively, I could get a third 580 EX II instead of the ST-E2, save $250 over the PW gear and have three flashes, and use one as the master (BTW, does the ST-E2 have any extra features compared to the 580 EX II as being used as a master?).

Hmmm.... you were right about the cost. [:)]

Tony

jusap
06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Another option for you is getting a FlashWave radio trigger. I shoot mostly on manual though.

Jarhead5811
06-30-2009, 05:15 AM
Actually the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Speedlite-Transmitter-ST-E2-Review.aspx]<span style="color: #003399;)has nothing the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 Review]

The ST-E2 controls only 2 channels (A and B) while the 550EX and 580EX flashes will control 3 channels (A, B and C).

------------------------------------------

The 550EX and 580EX master flashes can enable FEB (Flash Exposure Bracketing) and allow manual flash output to be controlled by the master - Two capabilities not found in the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2.

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
[/quote]

I wanted a cheap way to get into off camera flash photography and theST-E2 (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-580EX-II-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx]Canon Speedlite 580EX IIdoesn't. It's only advantage is it's much smaller, lighter and cheaper.

[quote=<span style="color: #003399;) serves my needs well, for now. If however, you have the moneyand feel confident that offcamera flash photography is for you,a different route might be in order.

Keith B
06-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Can you have 2 Pocket Wizards, one on camera and one on a 580II, and set the 580II with the PW to master and have it fire the other flashes?

Seams like you may be able to set the 580II to master since the PW is the slave. I don't know.