PDA

View Full Version : Sling bag: Lowepro vs. Kata

Tony Printezis
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi guys,

I've had a Lowepro Slingshot 200 for some time and I use it when I want to travel a bit lighter (I use a CompuTrekker AW for when I want to carry most of my gear). Unfortunately, I haven't been very impressed with its quality, as the zip of the main compartment has already been torn out (I've only had it maybe a year and a half or so; and I don't use it all that often).

I've been thinking of replacing it with a Kata sling (something like a T-214 or T-216).

Any views on how the two compare?

Thanks!

Tony

Sean Setters
06-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I don't know how it compares to Lowepro, and I don't have a sling version of their backpack, but I have a Kata DR-466 backpack and it's very well made. Of course, I've only had it 6 months, but I have no doubt it'll make it more than a 1 1/2. I keep a 50D, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, as well as a bunch of other assorted supplies in it. It's extremely heavy fully loaded (which it always is), and seems to hold up well. I'm quite happy with the purchase.

That said, you might want to look at the ThinkTank slings. ThinkTank's stuff is very well made (from what I hear), and the customer service is fantastic. Give them a look before you make the plunge.

btaylor
06-24-2009, 03:35 AM
I've also had thethe Lowepro slingshot 200 for a year or so and had no issues with it at all. Took it all through Cambodia/ Vietnam plus some longtrips through outback Australia without any issues. Been through every weather extreme from pouring rain to dust storms so I can honestly vouch for it.

Ehcalum
06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
I have the 100 and 200, and have not used Kata. I hate the sling packs. The 200 barely holds my 1Dmk2, 70-200 2.8 and 17-40. Wear and tear wise, the 200 is showing signs of loose stiching, the cover isn' all that great either. The slings place more pressure on one shoulder and this bears down over time.

I personally swear by Think Tanks Skin system. The most comfortable system I have ever used. The only time I ever use a backpack is when transporting lenses on an airplane or a train.

Tony Printezis
06-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!!!

That said, you might want to look at the ThinkTank slings.

Sean, do ThinTank actually have slings? I did look at their web site and couldn't see any... I know that Tamrac do (and a friend was recommending them in fact).

I've also had thethe Lowepro slingshot 200 for a year or so and had no
issues with it at all. Took it all through Cambodia/ Vietnam plus some
longtrips through outback Australia without any issues. Been through
every weather extreme from pouring rain to dust storms so I can
honestly vouch for it..

I also liked the 200... and I liked the waterproof cover (which saved my bacon... OK, gear!) on a few occasions. But, its zip is knackered right now and I need to replace it (I somehow don't think it's worth my while trying to get it fixed).

I hate the sling packs. The 200 barely holds my 1Dmk2, 70-200 2.8 and
17-40.

I'm actually pretty happy with how much I can fit into my 200 (40D + battery grip, 10-22, 24-105, Lensbaby with accessories, 580 EX II, Giotto Q-Ball, a few filters, cards, cleaning stuff, etc.). This is not all my gear, but this is what I carry when I want to travel, shall we say, "medium light".

Wear and tear wise, the 200 is showing signs of loose stiching,
the cover isn' all that great either.

Yep.

The slings place more pressure on
one shoulder and this bears down over time.

With the above gear, mine is not too bad. And I like the way I can move it to the front and get my camera out (which I find very helpful compared to a "standard" backpack). I did try to attach more to it (external case for my 70-200 f4 IS, as well as a a bottle of water) and that's when it got too much for my one shoulder. But I like their relative compactness and convenience and this is why I'm looking for another sling.

Tony

Sean Setters
06-24-2009, 09:04 PM
I apologize, I was incorrect! I could have sworn they made a sling in their product line, but they don't. What I took to be a sling was actually a backpack that can be converted to a shoulder bag (one strap, but worn at side).

Chuck Lee
06-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Tony,

This may sound stupid, but have youinvestigated awarranty claim?

I have both the Slingshot 100 (my wife's)and 200 (mine)bags. I carry a 5D wt 28-70 f2.8L attached, 70-200 f2.8L, 17-35 f2.8L, 100 f2.8 Macro, Vivitar 285HV, filters and other accessories inthe 200 which goes with me daily. I use it like any other tool and it is fine after 2 years. There are times, like last night, where I was in a hurry and stuffed the 285 in the top pouch and had to jerk the zipper around to close it. It's holding fine. There are definitely some frayed edges and a few stich strings dangling here or there but I consider that normal. I bought it and use it just like you do. I love to be able to swing it around in front of me to access the camera as well as change lenses.

2 Abes,

Chuck

Tony Printezis
06-26-2009, 07:25 PM
This may sound stupid, but have youinvestigated awarranty claim?

Chuck, no, it's not stupid and you're right: I should check with Lowepro regarding their warranty. I thought that it would probably be out of warranty, given that I've had the bag for more than a year and a half. But, yes, it'd be good to check with them just in case!

Tony