PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder bags??

mpphoto12
06-24-2009, 09:27 PM
HI im looking for a shoulder/messenger bag for my photo equipment. Im looking for a journalist look but most of the bags i found do not look big enough or include a slot for a laptop. Im not sure if i need a spot for my laptop but it would be nice. Is ther any recommendations. I would like it relatively cheap like no more than 120$. im looking for a bag to bring into the city as well as one to use for the majority of my gear on trips. AN all around shoulder bag. Any thoughts ? thanks

Cory
06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
I recently bought a Stealth Reporter D550 and found it simply too big to really call a shoulder bag. It had a slot for a small-mid sized laptop, lots of interior space and a wonderful split top flap you can get your camera in and out of without having to open the bag... but it had very very accessory pocket space and was simply too big to realistically carry around as a "Shoulder Bag".

I returned it and bought a Tamrac #5606 System 6 Camera Bag and a 160GB Wolverine to replace the need to carry my laptop around. (Now I just need to get a good held-help GPS).

I've found that a lot of the large shoulder bags really can't be used as such. I consider a shoulder bag something I can actively carry around with me while shooting throughout a city or forest or whatever... and I have not seen one that holds a laptop and is still small enough to be conveinent.

mpphoto12
06-24-2009, 11:13 PM
so you were happy with the tamrac? how about the same one just the bigger version? have you see it? is it too big? what about crumpler?

Cory
06-25-2009, 03:06 AM
I'm not sure on the Crumpler.

I like the Tamrac. It's not perfect, but I've been having a really hard time finding a good replacement bag. I had a LowePro Nova 2 (old model) and loved it, it just didn't have the space I need anymore. The Tamrac is essentially a larger version of it. I think I'll be able to get everything I want in it eventually for my 'walk around' the city or wilderness bag.

Finding a bag is a real pain in the butt though. It's hard to find stores with a decent selection, you have to rely on sometimes poor descriptions and pictures of bags online, and it's simply tough enough finding a bag that's a good mix of size, reliability, construction, cost and accessory pockets.

With the Stealth Reporter I was a victom of a poor description of the bag and also my own lack of foresight on figuring out the real overall size. Silly as it sounds it's not a bad idea to make a mock-up using cardboard or even paper if you have to to get a good idea of how large the bag is. With the Stealth Reporter there were really very little pockets and poorly designed ones at that... the size issue was sort of my fault tho.

Ehcalum
06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Check out ThinkTankPhoto. Their designed by photojournalists and sports photogs for photojournalists and sports photogs. I swear by their bags.

mpphoto12
06-25-2009, 01:33 PM
I have seen theirs but i thought they looked to big and expensive. Has anyone used the Tenba messenger? right now i think that or the tamrac is a good decicion. Thoughts?

handcanon
08-09-2009, 12:55 AM
I recently purchased this backpack/bag & am very happy with it.

backpack ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/428388-REG/National_Geographic_NG_5162_NG_5162_Earth_Explorer _Medium.html)

Just got back from vacationing in the Colorado Rockies & west Texas and enjoyed having photo gear in one bag and the optional laptop slot came in handy for packing when in transit then leaving in hotel room while hiking in the mountains & dessert. :)