PDA

View Full Version : 70-200

Atomhot
07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=recommend&sku=CA70200ISU

Jarhead5811
07-17-2009, 09:15 PM
I noticed this about a week ago, Strange.

Sean Setters
07-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Still listed at B&H ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/234444-USA/Canon_7042A002_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS_USM.html). And there's still a rebate on it.

Speaking of, the retail price on that lens has gone up $250 since I purchased it. Wow.

Atomhot
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
I regret not picking one up for ~ 1450 a few months back... I just assumed it would go down even more being an 8/9 year old design and all.

The status @ Adorama is a bit puzzling

Sean Setters
07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing. So I doubt that's the reason. Maybe they simply don't have it in stock and don't see a supply of it coming in for the foreseeable future. Or maybe it's just a glitch. I bet Helen Oster would be able to tell us....

wickerprints
07-18-2009, 12:05 AM
This lens has been delisted from Adorama for at least 3 weeks.

I don't know why. What's more is that unlike other items in which there is a backorder situation, this item's page and its description is simply gone. Other retailers have it in stock.

I think it is remotely possible that an update could come out. The IS could be improved slightly, as well as some of the softness at the 200mm end. It is also possible that more significant redesign could be in the works, since there are 4 UD elements but no fluorite elements that could improve the CA performance. I have a suspicion that the overall sharpness/contrast performance could be boosted. The 70-200/2.8L IS has an exceptionally large number of elements. While the performance of the current lens is quite good, there is always room for improvement. But it's all pure speculation.

peety3
07-20-2009, 11:00 AM
You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's far too old to have the new sub-wavelength coatings like the 24/1.4II and newer glass. Most everything with the new coatings seems to be getting amazing reviews compared to their predecessors.

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, I suppose that's a point....

Chuck Lee
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
From canonrumors.com

Helen Oster, the Adorama customer service ambassador has confirmed that the 70-200 f/2.8L IS has been discontinued.

Wow!!

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 01:14 PM
My jaw just hit the desk.

I'd still like to hear it from Helen herself. Might have to call Adorama on lunch.

EDIT: I just sent an email to Helen asking if she can confirm that the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS has been discontinued. I'll let you know when I get a reply.

hotsecretary
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm thinking of picking one up very soon... but now I'm wondering why is it being discontinued... is something better coming out!?

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 01:46 PM
The reply came quickly:

"Dear Sean

The latest information I have from our purchasing manager is that it has indeed been discontinued.

I don't have anything official to tell you in terms of information on a replacement, but there appears there may be some "inside info" here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-lenses/ ("http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-lenses/)

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador"

It's interesting that she referenced the same article that spurned the question. I didn't find any real answers as to a replacement, but it looks as if it has certainly been discontinued.

Jarhead5811
07-20-2009, 02:14 PM
You know, I can't see them making a Mark II of this lens. There's nothing glaringly wrong with the lens that's worth changing.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

It's far too old to have the new sub-wavelength coatings like the 24/1.4II and newer glass. Most everything with the new coatings seems to be getting amazing reviews compared to their predecessors.

If they added the latestcoatings and 4 stop IS? Seems like that would end the 70-200mm f/4 IS or 70-200mm f2.8 IS debate. How much of a price increase do think it would be?

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I guess it's time to grab a 70-200 f/2.8L IS now if you NEED one. The new version will definitely cost more and you will have to wait fora while to get your hands on one.

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 02:47 PM
HOLD UP!!!

Just got a second reply from Helen.

"<span style="color: #000099;"]Dear Sean
<div></div>
<div><span style="color: #000099;"]It appears that I completely mis-read the message I was sent by the purchasing department, my apologies.</div>
<div></div>
<div><span style="color: #000099;"]I understand that we have NO official word, after all, that this has been discontinued - we just can't get any at the moment.</div>
<div></div>
<div><span style="color: #000099;"]I do apologize for the iffy information; I usually do my best to get everything right first time!</div>
<div></div>

<span style="color: #000099;"]
Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador"

Hmm...interesting turnaround.

hotsecretary
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
They're toying with us!!! [:P]

Keith B
07-20-2009, 02:57 PM
I figured the 24-70 would get updated long before the 70-200.

wickerprints
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow it is amazing how fast rumors fly. I've already seen two different sites (dpreview and canonrumors) report supposed "confirmation" of the discontinuation of this lens. This is just out of hand.

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow it is amazing how fast rumors fly. I've already seen two different sites (dpreview and canonrumors) report supposed "confirmation" of the discontinuation of this lens. This is just out of hand.

That's why I attempted to go straight to the source. CanonRumors listed an email from Helen as the source of the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS discontinuation. She even referenced the site in her first reply, so I have no doubt she told someone else that it had been discontinued, and that person forwarded the info to CanonRumors. From what she's saying nowshe misread the initial information, andsimplycannot confirm or deny the discontinuation.

Atomhot
07-20-2009, 03:47 PM
This certainly complicates things a bit&hellip;

Ehcalum
07-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Ive emailed my CPS/CPN rep about a voucher question and some rental info for an upcoming event. I slipped a what do you know about the status of the 70-200 2.8 IS lens question in.

Ehcalum
07-20-2009, 10:33 PM
From CPS/CPN

<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: x-small;"]Hello Andy,

<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: x-small;"]I have not heard the rumor about the 70-200 IS. Do not believe anything unless you see it on the official Canon website.

<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: x-small;"]I am not sure about the labels. You may want to email service or CPS to find out the answer.

<span style="font-family: sans-serif; font-size: x-small;"]Barbara

Sean Setters
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Well, that was useless. :-)

I think we should all just wait and be surprised by Canon if they decide to develop something.

Colin
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I used my 70-200 f/2.8 IS at the zoo as the walk around lens for kids/animals.

Still love it, even if it may or may not be discontinued :P

Colin
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
I used my 70-200 f/2.8 IS at the zoo as the walk around lens for kids/animals.

Still love it, even if it may or may not be discontinued :P

hotsecretary
07-22-2009, 11:23 AM
So CR is saying that possibly a newer version is coming in late August and possibly a 24-70 with IS!?

So... now I'm torn if I should wait and see as I'm looking to purchase at least the 70-200 2.8 IS soon, and possible the 24-70 fairly soon after!?

Keith B
07-22-2009, 12:00 PM
So CR is saying that possibly a newer version is coming in late August and possibly a 24-70 with IS!?

So... now I'm torn if I should wait and see as I'm looking to purchase at least the 70-200 2.8 IS soon, and possible the 24-70 fairly soon after!?

We'll I recently bought both of these lenses and they are ridiculously sharp. Except for lens flare on 24-70 I don't really need any improvements in these lenses. I expect the new versions will be substantially more expensive, so I'll be fine if they replace them. Actually I'll probably feel pretty good about it ($$).

STL
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
According to Canon's Press Release ("http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-News/Canon-Hybrid-Image-Stabilizer.aspx) about a new two-axis IS system, we can suppose that the 70-200 f/2.8 IS will be the first lens to benefit from the upgrade. This would explain all the fuss about it being either delisted or very difficult to obtain.

Jarhead5811
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
According to </div>

You beat me to it I was gonna suggest the same thing based on the info at http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-News/Canon-Hybrid-Image-Stabilizer.aspx (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-News/Canon-Hybrid-Image-Stabilizer.aspx]Canon's Press Release about a new two-axis IS system, we can suppose that the 70-200 f/2.8 IS will be the first lens to benefit from the upgrade. This would explain all the fuss about it being either delisted or very difficult to obtain.
<div style="CLEAR: both). Sounds cool.....and expensive. How about a Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L HIS USM?

hotsecretary
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm wondering if the 2.8 IS will come down in price if they announce the 2.8 IS II ... decisions.. wait or not to wait.

Stinks when you have a bunch of cash burning a hole in your pocket at the same time you want the 24-70 and 70-200.. but the 24-70 IS would be sweet!

Rodger
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Haha oh yeah, all that cash must be horrible! =P

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm wondering if the 2.8 IS will come down in price if they announce the 2.8 IS II ... decisions.. wait or not to wait.

If you have the money, never wait if you need a lens to shoot, the images are the most important thing, without the lens there won't be any image. [:)]

hotsecretary
07-22-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, when you're dropping over $2k, you want to make sure it's worth while :)

I'm just worried the 2.8 IS will drop in price if I can still get it... or the new one will come out for a few hundred more and be 10x better, etc.

Mark Elberson
07-22-2009, 03:30 PM

I'm just worried the 2.8 IS will drop in price if I can still get it... or the new one will come out for a few hundred more and be 10x better, etc.

The price seems to be doing nothing but climbing! When the rebates first came out it was $1,700 or $1,500 minus the $200 rebate. Soon after that (like a week!) it went up to $1,800 or $1,600 minus the $200 rebate. Now it's $1,900 or $1,700 minus the $200 (extended) rebate. On top of that, Adorama had a refurbished copy list for $1,700 on their website. It has since been sold. Anyway, at least for now, this lens shows no sign of becoming a bargain anytime soon!

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
I doubt that its price will drop in the future. I think it will stay at the same price and then go out of stock completely before the new version arrives with a higher price.

If you can wait, you definitely should, but if the wait causes you to miss any important photographic opportunity, you should get the lens. 70-200 f/2.8L IS is a great lens and having a replacement does not make it an inferior lens.[:)]

hotsecretary
07-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I can wait for sure, just not sure how long I can wait.. :)

But the 70-200 is on my list and the 24-70 is the next up.. if I wait, I might get both them at the same time .. if they release an IS version of the 24-70!?

I'll be going on a quick vacation next week, so I can at least wait a few weeks LOL!

wickerprints
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Hmmm... how much do you think I could sell my 3-week old, very lightly used, impeccable condition 70-200/2.8L IS when the new one comes out? $1500? Any takers? [:D]

If Canon makes a mark II, I am getting it as soon as I can. Don't get me wrong, I love the one I have right now. But I am a complete sucker for shiny new objects. I'd easily pay $2000 for the new one, provided I could sell my existing one--and it's not even a month old!

hotsecretary
07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Darn it... my money is burning a hole in my pocket!?

I'm so tempted to go grab this Lens tonight!? .... decisions on this amount of $$ stink! [:@]

Jarhead5811
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Go ahead. You know the new lens, assuming there is one,will cost more and just because it's out there doesn't make the current one any less outstanding. You'll be able to get most of the money out of it, if need be.

jusap
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm still raising funds for a 70-200 2.8 IS and I'm sure if a new one comes out before the end of the year, I might still not have enough funds to do so but if they do release one, that will be my new target unless the reviews says otherwise. I just hope that if the 70-200 2.8 IS II comes out, the old version would drop its price.

Do you guys think the owners of the original lens would start selling theirs for the Mk II of this lens? If sharpness at 2.8 improves then maybe they will. hehehe +$300 :P

Chris White
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document" />
<meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 12" />
<meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 12" />
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_filelist.xml" />
<link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_themedata.thmx" />
<link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_colorschememapping.xml" />
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves />
<w:TrackFormatting />
<w:PunctuationKerning />
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas />
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DoNotPromoteQF />
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables />
<w:SnapToGridInCell />
<w:WrapTextWithPunct />
<w:UseAsianBreakRules />
<w:DontGrowAutofit />
<w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark />
<w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp />
<w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables />
<w:DontVertAlignInTxbx />
<w:Word11KerningPairs />
<w:CachedColBalance />
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math" />
<m:brkBin m:val="before" />
<m:brkBinSub m:val=" " />
<m:smallFrac m:val="off" />
<m:dispDef />
<m:lMargin m:val="0" />
<m:rMargin m:val="0" />
<m:defJc m:val="centerGroup" />
<m:wrapIndent m:val="1440" />
<m:intLim m:val="subSup" />
<m:naryLim m:val="undOvr" />
</m:mathPr></w:WordDocument>
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true"
DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99"
LatentStyleCount="267"]
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6" />
UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false"
UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading" />
</w:LatentStyles>
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
{font-family:"Cambria Math";
panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;
mso-font-charset:0;
mso-generic-font-family:roman;
mso-font-pitch:variable;
mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;}
@font-face
{font-family:Calibri;
panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;
mso-generic-font-family:swiss;
mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
{mso-style-unhide:no;
mso-style-qformat:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
margin-top:0in;
margin-right:0in;
margin-bottom:10.0pt;
margin-left:0in;
line-height:115%;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman","serif";
mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri;
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
.MsoChpDefault
{mso-style-type:export-only;
mso-default-props:yes;
mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt;
.MsoPapDefault
line-height:115%;}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;
mso-header-margin:.5in;
mso-footer-margin:.5in;
mso-paper-source:0;}
div.Section1
{page:Section1;}
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin-top:0in;
mso-para-margin-right:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
mso-para-margin-left:0in;
font-size:11.0pt;
font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}
</style>
<![endif]-->
<p class="MsoNormal"]
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_filelist.xml" />
<link rel="themeData" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_themedata.thmx" />
<link rel="colorSchemeMapping" href="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Chris\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_colorschememapping.xml" />
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
LatentStyleCount="267"]
<w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text" />
<w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading" />
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
@font-face
/* Style Definitions */
.MsoChpDefault
.MsoPapDefault
@page Section1
div.Section1
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
</style>
<![endif]-->
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
LatentStyleCount="267"]
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
@font-face
/* Style Definitions */
.MsoChpDefault
.MsoPapDefault
@page Section1
div.Section1
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
</style>
<![endif]-->
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span> Discontinued or
not, it is still a great lens! I was lucky enough (smart enough?) to grab one
for $1500 when the rebates first came out this spring. I was going back and
forth between the f/4 IS and the f/2.8 IS and in the end went with the f/2.8 IS
and have not regretted it. I do a lot of indoor and my kids sports and the
wider aperture was the right choice for me. Although it is twice the weight,
being 6&rsquo;/210<sub>lbs</sub> I manage it no problem. I did get the BG-E2N battery
grip &ndash; I should mention my body is a 50D &ndash; to help balance it out, and that
works well for me.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span> I second Colin,
great zoo lens. I went with the family shortly after getting this lens and took
@350 shots and they were almost all keepers. I have a mountain goat looking
directly at me and it looks like I was three feet in front of him. Additionally,
the candid shots of my kids and their friend are outstanding. You cannot pose
kids being kids, and when you are on top of them, they tend to pose. However,
when you are two exhibits away they tend to act natural and not posed. If I had
waited for something better/cheaper, I would not have those images and hundreds
of others I have taken this summer. I cannot put a dollar amount on some of
those, but I am glad I got this lens.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span> As far as the
price, Mark is correct. I check the Adorama refurbished Canon frequently and I have
seen the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS at least twice and maybe three times in the last
five weeks for $1700 and they are gone in twenty-four hours! I have nothing
against the refurbished, I have purchased some and other than a &ldquo;refurbished&rdquo;
sticker, placed side by side with a new unit they have been indistinguishable. It
is just that a couple of months ago they were selling the new unit for $200
less that the refurbished ones are going for &ndash; when they can get them. I would
suggest you get the lens now &ndash; if you can find one &ndash; take your pictures and
worry about a new release when it someday comes. If you treat your equipment as
I think most of us in this community do, it will retain the historically good
resale value and you should be able to recover most of your investment and have
your images too. In my local camera shop, they tell me they do not see &ldquo;L&rdquo;
glass for sale very often and as such when they do, they get a good price for
it.
<p class="MsoNormal"]<span>
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
LatentStyleCount="267"]
</xml><![endif]-->
<style>
&lt;!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
@font-face
/* Style Definitions */
.MsoChpDefault
.MsoPapDefault
@page Section1
div.Section1
--&gt;
</style>
<!--[if gte mso 10]>
<style>
/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
</style>
<![endif]--><span style="font-size: 12pt; line-height: 115%; font-family: 'Times New Roman','serif';"]If
you have the budget for it now, buy it, it is worthwhile&ndash; you will not regret
it. The new one may be a little better, but ten times better seems very implausible.

<p class="MsoNormal"]Chris

ThomasGriggs
07-24-2009, 12:40 AM
deleted

George Slusher
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
If you have the money, never wait if you need a lens to shoot, the images are the most important thing, without the lens there won't be any image. /emoticons/emotion-1.gif

Good point. Also, Canon L lenses seem to hold their value pretty well, so you should be able to sell the lens at a resonable "loss." If you buy an used lens, you may even be able to sell it for more than you paid for it!

I tracked the 24-70mm f/2.8L prices on eBay for a while. The average selling price then was $1,047, versus a new lens at $1,270, $1,190 with rebate. Not all of the sales were strictly comparable, of course: some lenses were nearly new, some several years old; some included a filter, though often they were low-quality filters; some had the original box, others were missing the hood. The average price rose a bit while I was tracking it, from $980 to $1,047. I've bought several L lenses on eBay, and none new. (The only lenses I've bought new in the last 2 years were a cheap Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 when I first got my 30D and a 50mm f/1.8 II.) Here is a comparison of the prices I paid (excluding shipping) and the current non-rebate new price. In most cases, I paid less than the average price on eBay.

70-200mm f/4L $545 (including tripod ring) vs $640 + 150 = $790 (a real bargain!)

70-200mm f/4L IS $919 vs $1100

70-200mm f/2.8L IS $1325 ("well-used" &amp; missing soft pouch) vs $1900 (retail price has gone up a lot in the last year; the retail price when I bought mine was $1699)

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS $995 vs $1500 (that price has gone up a lot, as well)

200mm f/2.8L $520 (including black ring) vs $749 + 150 = $899 (another major bargain)

17-55mm f/2.8 IS ("almost L") $780 vs $1030

If Canon does come out with a "Mark II" 70-200mm f/2.8L IS and it's more expensive, the value of used "Mark I" lenses may go up. If it comes out at the same price as the current lens, used values will likely drop.

hotsecretary
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Well, I'm got the OK from the g/f :) And if its' still available and the same price ($2k Cdn) when I get back (going on vacation tomorrow morning for a week).. I'm picking one up.

And if the new one comes out and it's so much better, I might think about a trade-in deal.. we'll see. But I tried one out quickly on a 50D body in the store, I have the 40D .. and it was so nice!!

Possibly picking up the 580 Flash at the same time, then to save for the 24-70 (v2 maybe?? ;)) .. and then finally save for 5DII or possibly what replaces it by the time I have enough extra cash.

Atomhot
07-28-2009, 03:32 PM
Dell ("http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0166172) has it for 1599 now. Will J&amp;R price match Dell?

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
07-30-2009, 01:30 AM
Nikon just release a version II of their very popular AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR, and it's priced at $2399 ....

So folks, let's say Canon makes a version II of our EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM, what do you think its price would be? I say if you can grab an original 70-200 f/2.8 IS, go for it[:)]

jusap
07-30-2009, 01:41 AM
canon rumors has just posted it. 70-200 f/2.8 IS II by Sept '09. :)

if Nikon priced their new glass with $2399, I think Canon would be releasing theirs around $2199. Or maybe I'm just imagining things :P

jcmeza_21
07-30-2009, 01:54 AM
"Canon will launch the 24-70 f/2.8L IS II and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II near the end of August." Canon rumors.com

NOOOOOOO!!!! I just purchasedthe 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. The latter is scheduled to arrive on Aug. 12th. I wonder if that's the reason why Canon has extended their Instant rebates. Also, if the rumors are true; how much of a price drop will the existing lenses have. Anyhow, the current lenses arestillwithout a doubt excellent glass that produce outstanding quality images.

George Slusher
07-30-2009, 02:14 AM
NOOOOOOO!!!! I just purchasedthe 24-70 f/2.8L and the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. The latter is scheduled to arrive on Aug. 12th. I wonder if that's the reason why Canon has extended their Instant rebates. Also, if the rumors are true; how much of a price drop will the existing lenses have. Anyhow, the current lenses arestillwithout a doubt excellent glass that produce outstanding quality images.

There may not be a price drop. Sometimes, when Canon has introduced a new version of a lens, the price went UP. Case in point is the TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II: the original was (and still is, for now) selling for $1200 ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12092-USA/Canon_2543A004AA_Wide_Angle_Tilt_Shift.html#featur es), the new version is $2199 ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12092-USA/Canon_2543A004AA_Wide_Angle_Tilt_Shift.html). A similar thing happened with the 24mm f/1.4L II, as I recall, and may have happened with the 16-35mm f/2.8L II.

The current B&amp;H price of the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS is $1900, $1700 with rebate. That's less than the guestimates other members have made for the "II" lens.

jcmeza_21
07-30-2009, 02:28 AM
I'm wondering if there's going to be a price drop on the existing lens. So it may sell for $1700 now with the rebate but when the II version gets release, would it drop lower than $1700?

George Slusher
07-30-2009, 03:11 AM
I'm wondering if there's going to be a price drop on the existing lens. So it may sell for $1700 now with the rebate but when the II version gets release, would it drop lower than $1700?

It may, or Canon may discontinue the rebate, so the selling price may go up by $200. Another thing to note is that, very often, when Canon announces a new lens or camera (usually in conjunction with some big show), it may not be available for months or, it may be like the new TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II lens--it comes in stock at B&amp;H, Adorama, etc, but is gone within minutes.

One approach might be to get a used 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, as I did. It cost me $1325. The hood was scuffed (not unusual if one uses a bag), but it works fine. Then, if you decide to get the "Mark II" lens, later, you can probably sell the "original" for nearly what you paid for it.

jcmeza_21
07-30-2009, 05:23 AM
i was actually fortunate enough to get the lens for $1419 + tax.

ShutterbugJohan
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM
"Canon will launch the 24-70 f/2.8L IS II and 70-200 f/2.8L IS II near the end of August." Canon rumors.com

They can't launch a 24-70/2.8L IS II because there is no 24-70/2.8L IS. We can be sure Canonrumors.com got this one wrong. :-) There might be a 24-70/2.8L IS soon, but I doubt it, because Nikon doesn't have one. A new 70-200/2.8 IS makes sense based on Nikon's new 70-200/2.8.

hotsecretary
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Wahhhh, I apparently waited too long.. and it's now sold out at all local shops.

I guess I'll have to wait until they announce new ones are get them back in stock.

Mark Elberson
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Wahhhh, I apparently waited too long.. and it's now sold out at all local shops.

I guess I'll have to wait until they announce new ones are get them back in stock.

How about B&amp;H ("http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/234444-USA/Canon_7042A002_70_200mm_f_2_8L_IS_USM.html)?

hotsecretary
08-06-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm in Canada.

Always afraid of buying stuff online from the US and getting an extra 20%+ tacked on when it's shipped due to duties, etc.

Mark Elberson
08-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm in Canada.

Always afraid of buying stuff online from the US and getting an extra 20%+ tacked on when it's shipped due to duties, etc.

I can respect that [:D]

hotsecretary
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I found someone selling one online locally .. and it's Brand New in Box still, but half the warranty is gone.

Basically they bought a bunch of equipment early this year, going back to school, so selling it.

I'm picking it up tomorrow morning if all goes well. And for a good price $1900 Cdn, so I know it's a great lens.. and if the version II comes out and it gets rave reviews, I can always sell this one off and upgrade later on.. but from the reviews, pictures, etc I see.. I'll most likely stick with the version I for a long time.

Now to hope they release a 24-70 2.8L IS ;)

Jarhead5811
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
if the version II comes out and it gets rave reviews, I can always sell this one off and upgrade later on.. but from the reviews, pictures, etc I see.. I'll most likely stick with the version I for a long time.

Exactly!

Now to hope they release a 24-70 2.8L IS ;)

Amen to that!

hotsecretary
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Finally after over a month of thinking about it (while having the $$)

I'm the proud owner of this wonderful Lens, now to test it out in the following weeks, off to pickup my 580 Flash today!

Colin
08-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Enjoy it.

I love it. One of my favorites. If a new one comes out, it doesn't make me love the one i've got any less.

George Slusher
08-12-2009, 02:54 PM
hotsecretary:

I hope that you'll enjoy the lens. It can do quite well, if you can tolerate the weight. I got it solely to use for indoor sports (horse shows) and it's often still not fast enough, so I use a faster prime (e.g., 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2--eventually, I'll get a 135mm f/2). For outdoors, I usually use the 70-200mm f/4L IS I had for quite a while before getting the f/2.8L IS. It's a lot lighter, faster focusing, sharper and has better IS. (Ken Rockwell, among others, found that he could shoot handheld at lower shutter speeds with the f/4L IS than with the f/2.8L IS. I can often get decent shots handheld at 1/15 while at 200mm. The best I can do with the f/2.8L IS is about 1/25-1/30.)

Of course, if I'd bought the f/2.8L IS lens first, I wouldn't have bought the f/4L IS.

hotsecretary
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure I'll love it no matter what!

But I really like the 2.8 over the 4 as I plan to use it indoors and low-light. Plus it's built like a tank and of course feels like it weighs the same [:D]

But for the price I paid, I can't really complain. It was $400 less than the cheapest I could of got it locally if it was even in stock.

At first I was tempted to go with something cheap like the f4 Non-IS but after playing with the 2.8 IS in the store, I was sold :)

Now to save for the next batch of splurges!

Jarhead5811
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Adorama's got a referbished 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. I put it in my cart but chickened out when I thought about what my wife would do to me if I got it.

Sean Setters
08-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Adorama's got a referbished 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. I put it in my cart but chickened out when I thought about what my wife would do to me if I got it.

LOL...I don't have a wife, but whenever I'm thinking about making a big purchase, I just go ahead and do it--then tell my girlfriend about it later. She just rolls her eyes knowing that getting mad and arguing with me won't make any differencepost-purchase. :-)

hotsecretary
08-12-2009, 03:55 PM
My g/f already asked the.. "Why do you need a Lens that cost $2,000???"

I just bought her some new shoes and clothes and it's all good ;)

adam
08-13-2009, 08:34 AM
It's all about continuous upgrading...buy something, sell it for nearly what you paid for it, use the proceeds to buy something that costs just a little more. I've gone from a 20D with kit lenses to a somewhat respectable respectable kit (40D, Tokina 12-24, Canon 24-105, Sigma 100-300 f/4, flash, tripod, etc) in about two years, $100 at a time :) The fiance rarely complains, and it gives me time to plan out what will help me most...

Vince
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Does anyone know Canon will release new 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM lens soon?

Sean Setters
08-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know Canon will release new 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM lens soon?

There is speculation that Canon may do that very thing...but nothing confirmed.

hotsecretary
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I've been told by my local shop guy that they're meeting with Canon Canada on the 25th... so I'm assuming we'll see press releases around that date on any new releases, etc.

They have to announce and release them soon IMO, the Olympics is fast approaching!