PDA

View Full Version : First Senior Shoot: Critique! Critique! Critique! Please!!

Rodger
07-25-2009, 12:28 AM
I just wrapped up my first ever senior portrait shoot about a day ago. It was a practice shoot with a friend (& client) in preparation for a shoot coming up with her in a week or so. We found some sick nasty locations, so the shoot was a success.

I'd be honored if you would give me some critique on what I consider the best image of the day. The link is below. Sorry I couldn't embed it, but for client-privacy reasons, I figured this was the best way to ask for help. Link is here ("http://flickr.com/gp/rodgerobley/39z61t). I've only had time to seriously edit just this one photo. I went through DPP for exposure and such, then used PS CS1 and a Scott Kelby book to do some retouching and lighting fixes.

Any critiques are moreee than welcome. Please don't hold back. I'm looking to do the best job I possibly can and your comments will help tremendously. Tips on lighting, posing, post processing, etc. Anything you think would make a better photo.

For what it's worth, here is a list of my gear. If you would do something differently, esp. lighting-wise, with the gear I have, don't hesitate to tell me.

-20D

-EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 (Blahh!) (I may be borrowing a wide angle L lens from a friend. Fingers crossed)

-EF 50mm f/1.8 II (love this)

-EF 70-200 f/4L (lens of choice, but limited use for portraits on a 1.6 crop body)

-Speedlite 430EXII (newest addition and loving this!)

- Hoping to get a 2 light kit ("http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,12323.html) (sans strobes) from MPEX with Cactus V2s trigger/recievers. I'd still only have one flash, butoneportable flash would be better thanoneon axis flash no?)

Thanks for reading, and any advice,

-Rodger

Edit: Hopefully fixed the link.

clemmb
07-25-2009, 12:36 AM
The link is not working for me. It says I do not have permissions

Rodger
07-25-2009, 12:40 AM
Sorry about that,

Should be working now. I'm still relatively new to Flickr's privacy settings.

clemmb
07-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I like it. I do not see anything to critisize here. Show us more.

Rodger
07-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Thankyou clemmb.

Im going through them as fast as I can, but I had another (smaller) shoot today and am leaving to shoot a week of a summer camp on Sunday (not sure if there will be internet). Regardless, I'll post a new reply in here whenever I update the set though.

Again, thanks :)

crosbyharbison
07-25-2009, 02:02 AM
A few things:

power lines in the background

I personally don't like the plants that are covering up part of the subject

There is not a lot of emotion in the subjects face

lighting wise its great; no harsh shadows on the face, etc...

EDIT: Ilikeyour flickr photostream; some great stuff in there

Rodger
07-25-2009, 02:34 AM
crosbyharbison, first, thankyou for your reply.

Second, I was thinking the same thing about the plants in front of the subject. I'll remove those on the real shoot. Slipped my mind for this one. (Thank God for the practice shoot huh?)

I'll see what I can do cloning the powerlines out.

Getting subjects to open up and show some of their personality is definitely one of the things I have the most trouble with. I assume it becomes more natural the more shoots you do.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words!

-Rodger

jusap
07-25-2009, 06:25 AM
For me it's the skin tone. The color of the hands doesn't match the color of the face. And I don't know if it's just my screen but I think it's a little reddish.

Madison
07-25-2009, 07:04 AM
Yes skin tone is not very good unless the girl has a very strange red cast to her skin in real life too.

That is all I can add apart from what was already said.

LOVING some of the stuff in your photostream by the way!

Good luck! And have fun with it!

Jarhead5811
07-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Nice, I like.

For me it's the skin tone. The color of the hands doesn't match the color of the face. And I don't know if it's just my screen but I think it's a little reddish.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"]I thought that was just a teenage girls tendency togo a little heavy on the makeup. [:P]

Maybe her makup doesn't quite match her skin tone.

Daniel Browning
07-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Great shot, Rodger! Great subject and composition. Nice work in making the eyes such a strong part of the photo. I like the leading lines and geometric shapes. The contrast of textures between the tree, subject, and blurry background and bokeh are nice. The play between light and shadow is great. I like the wind-swept hair. I like the green plant for anchoring the bottom of the frame, but I don't think the flowers add much to the photo. On the whole a very good portrait.

I dislike the skin tone. I wonder if reduced saturation and warmer white balance would look better, although strong saturation is a popular look for some customers. Crushed blacks are popular for increasing global contrast, but I would prefer to see a lot more detail and color in the sweater. It looks like the red channel blew out on her arms/hands.

Good job!

hotsecretary
07-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Agreed on the power lines in the shot and it doesn't seem like its' following the "3rds rule" because of the powerlines :)

Besides that great shot.. and I think for sure it's the fake-up (sorry it's what I call make-up :)) that's making it look like the face is totally different skin tone to the arms.

Rodger
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Thankyou for all the kind comments. And especially the critiques.

I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side. Here is the link to the2nd edit ("http://flickr.com/gp/rodgerobley/604R34).

I went back and tried my best to take out the power lines. As well as try to match the skin tones better. I used the hue/saturation layer to bring the saturation down, and then used layer masks and the color balance layer to make the adjustments. I don't know the technicalities of the toning issues, but could it be that there was more light on her left arm? It kind of looks like a hotspot to me from the sun. I could be wrong though.

As for the flowers at the bottom, I will remove those when we do the actual shoot.

Again, Thank you all so much for your input!

-Rodger

Rodger
07-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side

Sorry, the "guest pass" or whatever that Flickr generates must only be good for the 2nd photo. First photo should still be up at the first post though.

I think I will use the 2nd edit for promo stuff etc. I think I like it more. You don't have to critique any longer if you don't want, but if you have a comment, don't hesitate.

Again, thanks all! :)

-Rodger

Rodger
07-25-2009, 06:29 PM
I uploaded the second edit and left the 1st one up for side by side

Sorry, the "guest pass" or whatever that Flickr generates must only be good for the 2nd photo. First photo should still be up at the first post though.

I think I will use the 2nd edit for promo stuff etc. I think I like it more. You don't have to critique any longer if you don't want, but if you have a comment, don't hesitate.

Again, thanks all! :)

-Rodger