PDA

View Full Version : Good, Versitale, High Fashion, Indoor, Canon Lense

stelzerbrien
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
Shooting Indoors. Under Soft Boxes.

Room is 15x15. White background.

Need something that will help reproduce image quality like high fashion spreads in Vogue etc.

Budget Under 1000.

Any suggestions or advice?

Madison
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Need something that will help reproduce image quality like high fashion spreads in Vogue.

Budget Under 1000.

Depends on what you are doing. 'High Fashion' can be SO MANY different things. Different ideas will require different lenses.

Mind you that most high fashion is shot medium format -> Mamiya/Leaf/Hasselblad. To this day. It captures more detail, which can be important for larger prints, which are not uncommon in the fashion industry.

Also: good knowledge of lighting and proper pre- and postproduction is also very important, as is a proper concept (aesthetics alone won't cut it for those magazines you mention). So the 'image quality' you need depends on a lot of things. Can you narrow it down for me?

To come back to your question: are you shooting crop or full frame? 35mm or medium? Are you shooting the entire stage or are you closer to the models? Are you shooting low light or really working those soft boxes? Do you have proper access to pro models and stylists (the more you do in pre, the less you do in post). All this will determin what lens you may or may not need for the job, depending on your artistic vision.

I tend to use a few primes (sharpness is unsurpassed) when I shoot fashion on a 35mm to capture as much detail as possible but I havent done it much (yet) so other than this I cannot somment on this. I will study fashion photography starting 8 weeks from now though.

Bob
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
<p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 10pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Very sharp, fast = EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro at $509.

Madison
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Could be too close even on FF depending on the type of 'High Fashion' scene he wants to do.

What exactly do you mean with High Fashion look anyway? You name Vogue but magazines like that carry a ton of different photographers, each with their own style and creatvity. Photographers like Nick Knight, Javier Vallhonrat, Terry Richardson, Juergen Teller, Patrick Demarchelier, Steven Klein, Inez Van Lansweerde, David Slijper etc, al work in the fashion photography industry, all have a 'High Fashion Look' but are all VERY different from one another in postproduction, concept, art direction, technique. People like Teller even shoot point-and-shoot and are featured in Vogue as well for example.

So I would LOVE to have some more info because your question is too broad for me.

Keith B
07-28-2009, 04:16 AM
You could go 50 1.4 prime for $400. If you could pony up another $200 (over your budget) you'd be set with the 24-70 2.8L.

High fashion look will really be determined by lighting and composition.