PDA

View Full Version : Anyone can recommend a good book....

BES
08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
on how to learn taking good portraits?

I am just starting and as I look at some of your photographs, there are some that I really, really like...

Also, on some other websites, there are some people who take some stunning portraits. I would like to start learning (slowly, of course) the magic behind it.

Any tips? Good reading you can recommend?

Any help, as always, will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Julius
08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Scott Kelby has a couple of books which are very helpful.

BES
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Are you thinking about the Digital Photography books? Would that be a good start? Do they address portrait taking?

Thanks very much for your help...

piiooo
08-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Steve McCurry "Portraits"

You have probably seen his National Geographic photograph "Afghan Girl".

BES
08-03-2009, 12:31 AM

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Oh yes, I did....beautifull...i can never do anything remotely as good....buti will die trying.

Thanks for great recommendation

ShutterbugJohan
08-04-2009, 12:32 AM
As far as portrait books, I don't really have any, but Scott Kelby's books are great, and cover a little of everything.

Oh yes, I did....beautifull...i can never do anything remotely as good....buti will die trying.

Thanks for great recommendation

I know this is slightly off-topic, but have you seen the NatGeo issue where they went to find out what had happened to her? I think that it had been twenty years since the photo was taken. The picture on the cover is her holding the "Afghan Girl" picture. Very interesting article on a very famous photo.

BES
08-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I know this is slightly off-topic, but have you seen the NatGeo issue where they went to find out what had happened to her? I think that it had been twenty years since the photo was taken. The picture on the cover is her holding the "Afghan Girl" picture. Very interesting article on a very famous photo.

NO, I missed this one, this would have been interesting one to see...do you know approximately when that was published? I will look it up for sure in the library...

ShutterbugJohan
08-04-2009, 01:44 AM

NO, I missed this one, this would have been interesting one to see...do you know approximately when that was published? I will look it up for sure in the library...

April 2002.

BES
08-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Thanks very much for info, i will look it up tomorrow[:)]

mattsartin
08-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a great book, not sure what you're skill level is, but it starts at the basics and is very detailed, great photography in the book as well