PDA

View Full Version : The Family Photos

Jorundr-Jorgensen
08-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey people,

I've got to ask about you're opinion about something. I had a little arguement with my wife about a photography subject and now I'm really wondering if I'm being a idiot or not...

This is the case, a few weeks ago we went to a family meeting and I made some shot of about everyone, I didn't have much time so in total it ended up with about 100 photos. Now I've worked them through my whole sorting and editing progress and ended up with 31 decent photos of everyone that was there, I removed of course of that 100 the blurry, incorrect and doubles.

Sounds all ok right? Now I showed my wife and asks were all those other photos went, so I explained that they were double or technical incorrect ect. And she told me that she doesn't care and that the family wants see them ALL. But perhaps the "artist" in me refused this and I said it doesn't make a sense to show people the bad photos, and so tada, the arguement..

Now am I being a stuborn hardhead because I don't want to show those people blurry/overexposed ect photos or not?

Sorry for bothering you about this but I'm kinda confused about what to do now with these shots.. [:^)]

hotsecretary
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I totally understand your problem, but sadly you're wrong ;) She's a woman, live and learn.

There is many times my g/f will post pictures online and I'm wondering.. "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, I LOOK TERRIBLE!?!" :)

But ... if she wants them, show her the outtakes, the bad, etc.. and let her decide if you must. But totally normal for a person who's taking the pictures to take 10-20x the amount that actually make it past the post-processing :D

Oren
08-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Your wife is wrong, tell her that this is a normal process that every photographer does.

If she still wants 'em... well then give up and make her happy.

Rodger
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM
I vote save them all in the future. Heck, go back to the recycle bin and see if you can restore them if you can.

Mark the 30 or so good ones with a "check 1" if you use DPP, and keep all the rest unmarked or "check 3".

A couple more used MB on your harddrive is worth a happy wife in my opinion :)

*I would only process the good ones if I were you though.

-Rodger

alex
08-11-2009, 02:39 PM
This is funny, JUST THIS MORNING, I had this conversation with my wife (for the umpteenth time). She literally frowns at me every time I tell her that of the X number of shots I took, here are the X amount of "good ones". She has this need to see them all.

I agree with you, it's because you're an "artist" so you're picky. I don't see any point in showing people crappy images if there are perfectly good images that are nearly identical.

My wifealso doesn't like that she can't see the pictures very easily until I convert them to jpeg.

Joel Bookhammer
08-11-2009, 02:43 PM
<span style="font-size: small; font-family: Times New Roman;"]IfI saved every picture I every took......forget gigabytes, bring on the terabytes.

I say keep the best scratch the rest.

It might be too late now but if they absolutely need them, save all of the pictures straight off the card onto there computer, when they ask why there computer has slowed....bingo! [:D]

But honestly I would try your best to explain that with digital you can take exponentially more pictures then with film, so you no longer have to spend precious money on each picture in getting them developed just to throw them out cause they are blurry or you accidently took two at once.

Hope that helps...

Joel

EdN
08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Another way of doing it is what I did for a friend's wedding a few years ago. I gave them a disk of the all the photos but this is how I did it. There were two directories on the disk. The first directory had all the "good" ones and ones I modified or edited to improve the content. The second directory was everything else, straight out of the camera. Naturally, the first directory was much smaller (and the contents much nicer) than the second directory.

I never got much feedback from my friend but I always thought they would really like the content of the first directory but would get bored going through the larger number of pictures in the second directory that had all the defects. They would have the best of both worlds, the best, and everything else that happened that day.

Jorundr-Jorgensen
08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Haha, thank you all for the replies, glad to see that I'm not the only one with this situation.

Anyway, my work process goes through Lighroom, I import the RAWS on my hdd in my pc and on a external TB disc, so nothing ever gets deleted! when I'm busy in Lightroom I simply "remove" the once I don't like.

I'll proberly Jpeg the once I edited and throw the rest in to make my wife happy, Best of both I think. [:)]

I think I'll devolep a new processs techniue for the family wedding thats coming up in two weeks.. [;)]

Cheers,
J&oslash;rund.

Oren
08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
My wifealso doesn't like that she can't see the pictures very easily until I convert them to jpeg.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

She can - she just need to open DPP and it's all there.

Jorundr-Jorgensen
08-11-2009, 03:02 PM
the best of both worlds, the best, and everything else that happened that day.

Hah! Yes, this is what I'm gonna stick with. :)

alex
08-11-2009, 03:08 PM
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

She can - she just need to open DPP and it's all there.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Sorry, should have added: She has a Macbook, and DPP is only installed on my HP desktop downstairs. Yes, I have told her that she can just go downstairs and look at my computer, but hey, what are you gonna do.

Bill W
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Jorundr-Jorgensen....what's the big deal? Consider yourself lucky she's interested in all the photos you produce. My wife becomes bored after about a 1/2 dozen or so....I now only show her what I consider my best shots from a shoot and limit that number to the 1/2 dozen.

Next time burn a disk and give it to her....

Here's a theory that's become an axiom in our house after 24 years....If she's (he's) happy, I'm happy. It's amazing how much tension this has blocked over the years....of course this axiom doesn't work if you're going to be a "stubborn hardhead"....you need to step back and be flexible.

Good luck

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Their standard is always lower than ours, I'd show them everything.

Daniel Browning
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
I had a little arguement with my wife about a photography subject and now I'm really wondering if I'm being a idiot or not...

We're the one stop shop for photography advice and marriage counseling. ;)

Now am I being a stuborn hardhead because I don't want to show those people blurry/overexposed ect photos or not?

Not at all. It absolutely kills me to keep bad photos around. It's torture. I feel like they should die a quick death with the strike of a delete button. Keeping even the medium-well, so-so, and middling photos causes me angst. But when it comes to family photos, I know my wife will want to keep everything.

This is one of those things where one of you has to demonstrate sacrificial love. Either you torture yourself by letting the bad photos live, or she tortures herself by letting them die. I think it should be you.

dmckinny
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Jorundr-Jorgensen,

I have the opposite problem. My wife frowns at me if I try to keep all the pictures. Maybe it's because she's and engineer ;-)

David

handcanon
08-11-2009, 07:49 PM
"What Mama don't know won't hurt her" ;)

I started out on the Oh my I can't delete that, it might be useful kick, but the pendulum has slowly moved me more &amp; more to the delete key as i've shot more &amp; more photos the last few years.

I guess I'm lucky that my family pretty well trusts me to cull the bads &amp; leave the "keepers."

Good luck earning that.... some people just don't trust others or want to experience it ALL. I agree w/ the above to let the yoursignificantother keep them on her computer, if possible.

Mark Elberson
08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Hey people,

I've got to ask about you're opinion about something. I had a little arguement with my wife about a photography subject and now I'm really wondering if I'm being a idiot or not...

My wife and I are cracking up reading this! I can't tell you how many times I have been told, "Don't delete ANYTHING until I see all of your pictures!" I ALWAYS tell her to let me weed out the bads and then you can see but she can be very persistent :) If she REALLY wants me to keep a shot that I don't approve of I'll often let her have her way but she has proven to be very accepting of my NEED to delete pictures that I don't feel are up to snuff.

Good luck!

Mark Elberson
08-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Not at all. It absolutely kills me to keep bad photos around. It's torture. I feel like they should die a quick death with the strike of a delete button. Keeping even the medium-well, so-so, and middling photos causes me angst. But when it comes to family photos, I know my wife will want to keep everything.

This is one of those things where one of you has to demonstrate sacrificial love. Either you torture yourself by letting the bad photos live, or she tortures herself by letting them die. I think it should be you.

Hilarious!!!

shutr
08-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I agree with your decision, only show the "good" photos dump the rest. You are the pro, give'em the professional results.

Chuck Lee
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
That's the problem with DSLRs. Even the bad ones look good.......

...........to the rest of the world. [:D]

Peace first, then justice.

Don't worry, just go round a couple of times on your Canon. (0-9999) The number of real keepers will drop. Trust me.

clemmb
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM
If you show them all of them someone will want a copy of a bad one and you will spend lots of time correcting it and then they will think you take terrible photos, etc......

Only let them see the good ones. They are your photos to do with what you want.

Mark

Jorundr-Jorgensen
08-12-2009, 07:02 AM
My wife and I are cracking up reading this! I can't tell you how many times I have been told, "Don't delete ANYTHING until I see all of your pictures!" I ALWAYS tell her to let me weed out the bads and then you can see but she can be very persistent :) If she REALLY wants me to keep a shot that I don't approve of I'll often let her have her way but she has proven to be very accepting of my NEED to delete pictures that I don't feel are up to snuff.

Good luck!

Heh, good to read that it's a pretty common thing..

But you know people, I can't trick her with saying that it's all or that the photos "disappeared" because we both are graphic designers, I'm doing the photography, shes doing the digital painting, so, I'm doomed. She even knows how lightroom works!

Anyway, I decided for the sacrifice methode, I'd rather have peace. But still it feels like murder to show family bad photos, I mean, they know I'm a photographer, I've got to hold alteast a bit of a reputation for myself right? Well apparently not in this case.. ;)

[/b]Daniel Browning]

Haha, that cracked me up! [:D]

("../members/Daniel-Browning/default.aspx)

Maleko
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
i used to get this problem with past relationships, and now i learn to not tell anyone how many i take and just show them the finished product.

Also, one thing i always throw back if needs be to the gf "well how many photos of you do you tell me to delete cause you dont like how you look" :P

But as other people have said, its the artist in you, look at facebook, how many awful photos get uploaded of holidays or watever!

piiooo
08-12-2009, 08:00 PM
This is what I did. I explained to my dear wife (read: kept explaining over and over) why those bad pictures are bad, in the beginning very easy then a little more "aggressive"and after probablya few years of being patient it paid off. Sometimes, when we review those family/friend snapshots together, she'll say "this one is blurry, nedds to be deleted" before I even open my mouth. It was a long process though...

She still makes fun of me when I talk photography with my buddies. "How much canone discuss depth of field?" or "Are talking about exposure again?" she'll ask...

Jarhead5811
08-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Yep, it gets worse. If you look at my Flickr Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeandmelissawright/]<span style="color: #003399;)you'll see a bunch of would be culls that my wife made me post. (We even have quite a few she took with her PAS w/flash, YUCK!) It's how the rest of the family views our pics. I'd love to have a separate one for my "good" stuff but I'm too cheap to do it.