PDA

View Full Version : Group photo question...

keller
08-16-2009, 03:18 PM
I was taking a group photo (my family) 6 people total with a XSI 450D, kit lense 18-55.

The setting was nothing special. A couple of full body shots and waist up shots. Camera setting was on manual with autofocus...no flash.

For some reason i cannot get all the subjects to be in focus. There is usually 2 or 3family membersthat seem slightly out of focus. Just for clarification, this is not avery noticable out of focus problem. Perhaps i am just being very picky and asking to much of the kit lense?

keller

Dumien
08-16-2009, 03:24 PM
was it shot indoors? If it was, then try to use a flash to be able to narrow the aperture and get greater DOF, or higher ISO for that matter ;)...that might be your only problem ;)

RadicalTenth
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
In these groups where were the people? Were they on both edges, or were they clumped together?

keller
08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
They were clumped together. I wish i would have saved the pictures so i could post them for all to see what i am referring to. Sometimes all the people in the image would be focused, sometimes just 1 person or no one would be focused. Again, i am not talking blurry, but just slightly "foggy" as i like to call it. The wife calls it, slightly out of focused. She thinks a better lense (L)would correct this problem. I am hoping its the shooter's fault.

I took the photos outside with partly cloudy skies.

keller

RadicalTenth
08-16-2009, 04:43 PM
At what aperture were you shooting? Dumien has a point.

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Yes, it's the shooter's fault [:)], you need to close down the aperture to have more depth of field.

lculpin
08-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Woah guys, lets slow down here for a minute. His wife thinks that he needs a new L lens. You don't argue with your wife, especially when she's telling you that you NEED to be getting a brand spanking new L series lens. CLEARLY then, the lens is the problem ;)

Jarhead5811
08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Yes, clearly the lenses fault [;)].

I'd wait until you get the new "L" or a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ("http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx) and then try stopping down. A flash or flashes may be usefull at that point.

Oren
08-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh dude... the wife is telling you that you need a new L glass and you argue with her?

It's definitely the glass, the wife is right [:D]

Also, try to use much much faster shutter speeds when you get the new L (but close the aperture so you still get sharp, in focus pictures). When the wife asks why the pictures are so dark, tell her that you need a new lighting kit which includes few umbrellas and stands, reflectors, pocketwizards and of course, at least 2 580 EX II's.

Then, since you will be working with such high shutter speeds, shake the camera so the shots become blur - this time it's not out of focus but blur, so you will need a new top of the line tripod as well lol.

Fast Glass
08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
You have real nice wife to blame the lens and not to you!

Bob
08-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Keller

The 18-55 lens is not very sharp corner to corner unless you are shooting at f11.

Tom Carman
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Try This;

Set your camera to ADEP and the problem is resolved.

hotsecretary
08-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Ah man, I wish my g/f would blame my bad shots on the lack of L glass! She's more questioning.. "Why do you need to spend $2,000 on a freaking lens?" "What was wrong with the one that came with your camera?!"

But at least now she's realized I enjoy it and my $$ is my savings to spend as I wish, I'm the one working hard for it :) She spends it on shoes and clothing and other things at times. I spend it on glass [;)] And I just make sure I take really nice pictures when I can, and if not take her on vacation!!

As it's been said though, try kicking up the AP. And make sure you're using a tripod.

But personally I'd just take lots of bad ones.. and go.. "Must be this crappy lens, need a few L lens to get this shot!"

Jarhead5811
08-16-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm sorry butI can't help but get distracted when hotsecretary mentions "my girlfriend". I've been biting my tongue for a while but have to ask; are you male or female? (Not that it matters, I just had to ask.)

keller
08-16-2009, 10:14 PM
I found a good example of my "problem"...as soon as i figure out how to post a picture in the forum i'll show you all.

Thanks for all the help!!

Except those of you who are agreeingwith my wife ongetting a L lense.

keller

btaylor
08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I'd also try putting the camera on a tripod... about 150m away. Then when your group shot is so small your wife might suggest you buy a nice big telephoto zoom as well.

100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L should do it for the moment but I'd suggest explaining to her that it's not the "fastest" lens around and you might also need to buy a 400mm f/2.8 L in case your subjects decide tomake any sudden movements during the photo. You lucky, luckyson of a..... gun [:D]

keller
08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Okay...here is a picture of my wife's sister and her family. She took this picture so by all means...say what you want!!!

We both think, the woman in this picture looks out of focus? Any ideas on why or how to not have this problem in the future?

XSi, 55-250 lense

ISO 400

Aperture F7.1

Exposure 1/125

Focal length 123 mm

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.50/Forum-pic.jpg

thanks!!!!

keller

keller
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Here is another picture...i'll be honest, i took this picture. SO BE NICE!!!

In my opinion and my wife's opinion...really the only one that counts, everyone in this picture looks out of focus.

In my defense i might have been in a hurry to take this picture so i didn't disturb the wedding photographer...at least that is the defense i am taking.

XSi, 18-55 kit lense

Focal length 41 mm

Aperture F5.6

ISO 200....no flash

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.29.50/Paul.JPG

keller

Oren
08-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Did you shoot JPEG or RAW? If RAW, please open with DPP and check where is the AF point located.

After seeing the first picture I was really going to blame your 55-250 since it couldn't be the aperture - it was at f/7.1, but after seeing the second one which was taken with the kit lens... it's not likely that both are such bad lenses.

So my guess is either a user error or a problem in the camera (maybe a calibration problem). If you ask me, I guess it's a user error... but don't tell the wife, tell her the guys on the forum suggested that you get a new 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM [:P]

Deva207
09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
well, i would blame the lens for bad photo...

18-55 with no IS is a shitty lens, everyone who ever used those lens knows that.

18-55 IS is an improvement, huge, but still not good enough (hey, its the cheapest lens)

advice: change it with anything (anything is much better than that)

i dont know about 55-250, so i will not say anything about that...

peety3
09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Okay...here is a picture of my wife's sister and her family. She took this picture so by all means...say what you want!!!

We both think, the woman in this picture looks out of focus? Any ideas on why or how to not have this problem in the future?

XSi, 55-250 lense

ISO 400

Aperture F7.1

Exposure 1/125

Focal length 123 mm

Are you certain that the IS was turned on? Your shutter speed (1/125th) is a little slow for handholding without IS (you'd want at least 1/200th). Bryan's review says the lens should be good for three stops of stabilization (even though marketed as four stops), so you'd want 8/200 or 1/25th so you should have been safe here if IS was on.

I'd try a few shots over a range of apertures. If smaller apertures appear more in focus, it could be a DOF issue or it could be a focus error issue, so I'd then try using a focus chart to see how your lens is doing. I'd also shoot some on a tripod, just to isolate some issues.

Maleko
09-11-2009, 06:04 AM
I would say the second photo looks in focus, but not very sharp at all.
Also the first photo looks like it is focused more on the man in it, again if it was shot in raw with auto focus selection, would be interesting to see the focal points! Even at f7.1 with a focal length of123 mm she could still be out of focus, again though, not very sharp.