PDA

View Full Version : RadioPopper JrX a value added alternative

Chuck Lee
08-18-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm glad my cactus triggers have been doing so well and I didn't need to upgrade to another wireless trigger system yet. I've been holding out until P.C. Buff gets the Cyber Commander ("http://paulcbuff.com/pcb2009/cybercommander.html) finished but it looks like I now have a viable alternative.

Here's a nice write up by Dave Hobby over at strobist.com ("http://strobist.blogspot.com/2009/08/radiopopper-jrx-will-make-you-fat-and.html)

What do you think? ........................Sean?

Sean Setters
08-18-2009, 09:48 AM
I think it's yet another reliable option to choose from. The new RadioPopper JrX will allow you to be able to control the output of AlienBee/White Lightning strobes wirelessly, which is handy for some. They'll also be able to vary the output of TTL strobes (except for the newest Nikon SB-900) using a yet-to-be-released hotshoe cube. Those are certainly nice features to have--if you need them. I don't have AlienBee/White Lightning units and I don't have enough TTL strobes to make that feature worth-while.

I'm sure the RadioPopper JrX system will work great for those who get it. However, I won't be buying a RP unit out of principle for a long time. I don't appreciate how they jerked their potential customers around for so long promising the world while delaying the release time and time again (with very communication with their customers).

Mark Elberson
08-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Great read Chuck. These sound terrific. Iespecially like,"Three physical knobs, functioning just like volume controls". When I make the jump to RF triggers I'll have to decide between these and CyberSyncs. Right now it's looking like these may have the edge :)

Chuck Lee
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't have AlienBee/White Lightning units

Sorry Sean, I assumed you did. Jeeze, and right there in PCBuff land too.

My favorite istheB800 in a PCB Octobox. Just way fun!![:D] You ought to try it. It's phantastic!!

Sean Setters
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I like the portability and ease of use(especially taking power sources into consideration) of my shoe-mount flashes. Whenever I need more power, I simply throw more flashes into the umbrella/softbox. I'll re-evaluate my position when the AlienBee Max units finally start shipping...but I don't think my trunk can handle 3 or 4 Bees with all the stuff I'm already carrying. ;-)

Chuck Lee
08-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the bees are light but I wouldn't call em exactly "portable". I like my stobist kit for on site stuff. As soon as my oldest moves out we'll have his room (the closed-in, insulated, part of the house, single car garage) as a home studio. That'll be nice.