PDA

View Full Version : First capture at water fountain

Bill W
08-20-2009, 06:31 PM
I finished off (not really) my HB/Butterfly garden last week w/the addition of electricity for lighting and the water fountain.

Here's the first visitor I've seen at the fountain...it's a female Ruby Throated HB.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/bikejanitor/FHBdrinkingatfountain.jpg

The fountain is made of granite consisting of a sphere sitting in a bowl.

C&C welcome

Regards

Bill

crosbyharbison
08-20-2009, 06:50 PM
looks good, at first look I thought the hummingbird was an amateur ice sculptor

Oren
08-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Yep, looks good. Is that a crop? If not, I think you can crop a bit to make the bird look bigger.

Bill W
08-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Crosby.....your comment cracked me up....a pretty bad one at that...LOL

Oren....yes seriously cropped and enlarged 90% in PS. It's plenty big in my files....unfortunately I have to downsize for this site and it doesn't look nearly as sharp as my original. que sera, sera

Oren
08-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Well it still looks great [:)]

Joel Bookhammer
08-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Great Photo! Hopefully you will have more like it for everyone to see. Maybe attaching the camera to a tripod with a remote release could get you in closer.

Thanks

Joel

Bill W
08-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks Joel, glad you liked it.

In the spring and early summer (pre-fledglings) I was able to set-up w/in 10 feet (tripod) of the garden and it wasn't a big deal for HBs.

Example;

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee23/bikejanitor/RubythroatedHBmale.jpg

But since the youngsters have appeared, even when I sit on my porch approx. 30 feet, they're a bit skittish.

Unfortunately your remote release suggestion wouldn't produce many pics for me. In the garden the HBs have 2 sources of food, i.e. flowers and feeder, and 2 sources of water, i.e. fountain and mister. So my only recourse for captures is having the camera on the tripod and being reading to adjust to where the HBs decide to go.

Thanks again

Bill