PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Camera Strap?

Mark Elberson
08-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm looking for either a whole new strap or a way to make my Canon strap easy to attach/detach. If I'm shooting within the confines of my house or many other indoor venues I never use the strap and more often than not it just gets in my way. However, if I am outdoors and anywhere where it's not convenient to put my camera down then I absolutely want to have the strap on.

Sure I could just put my strap on and off but it's a bit of tedious task and I'd love a strap that just "clips" on and off. I remember back in the good-old-days SLR's has rings attached to the mounts on the bodies and colorful woven cloth straps that had clip connectors so it was easy to take them on and off.

I forgot to mention, I just spent about 20 minutes on both Adorama and B&H's websites but didn't see anything that really looked like what I want. Suggestions???

Oren
08-26-2009, 11:08 AM
I bet there is something out there, but I also guess you could DIY pretty easily.

Mark Elberson
08-26-2009, 11:13 AM
I am considering a DIY alternative

Ehcalum
08-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Ritz has a decent neoprene strap with buckles . Canon CPS has a really nice once you get when you join up.

Mark Elberson
08-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Ritz has a decent neoprene strap with buckles . Canon CPS has a really nice once you get when you join up.
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Based on this I won't becoming a CPS member any time soon [:'(]

<span class="style1"]<span class="CpsBoxText"]To be eligible for membership of CPS, you need to: (http://www.ritzcamera.com/camera-straps.htm?bct=t13031003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bcibags-cases-straps]These are all of the ones I've seen at Ritz. Is it one of them?

<span class="style1)

Maleko
08-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I did a DIY one myself using a single carabiner and a Keyring Loop. It only attaches to one side of the camera which some people don't like, but i personally find it a lot easier.

Mark Elberson
08-26-2009, 11:52 AM
I did a DIY one myself using a single carabiner and a Keyring Loop. It only attaches to one side of the camera which some people don't like, but i personally find it a lot easier.

Thanks. Are these things I can pick up at the Home Depot? I'm thinking they won't have a carabiner small enough?

lculpin
08-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Check out the Upstrap ("http://www.upstrap-pro.com/), they have a quick-release model (and the strap itself is pretty nice, I've got one for my 50D and it's worked out well so far).

Ehcalum
08-26-2009, 12:43 PM
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

These ("http://www.ritzcamera.com/camera-straps.htm?bct=t13031003%3Bcidigital-cameras-and-accessories%3Bcibags-cases-straps) are all of the ones I've seen at Ritz. Is it one of them?

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yes, I had the curved one on my 40D. Its quite comfortable actually, and the clips are strong.

Maleko
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM

Thanks. Are these things I can pick up at the Home Depot? I'm thinking they won't have a carabiner small enough?

I was able to find one at a DIY store, I put something together like this:
(I guess you could do the same and have 2 straps instead of the one, some people don't like how the camera hangs on one, but hey, each to their own! Works well for me at weddings etc)

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.49/strap1.jpg

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.30.49/strap2.jpg

Todd Ovick
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
mark, i picked up the canon pro strap at best buy for $25 two weeks ago. I love it, 50 inches long with quick releases. I think its the same one they package with the 1 series cameras.

Mark Elberson
08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
I was able to find one at a DIY store, I put something together like this:
(I guess you could do the same and have 2 straps instead of the one, some people don't like how the camera hangs on one, but hey, each to their own! Works well for me at weddings etc)

Thanks for the pics!

peety3
08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
LowePro's camera straps are all quick-release. See http://products.lowepro.com/catalog/Camera-Straps,41.htm for info.

I have two Transporters (one with the pad removed; it's got a special purpose), and two Voyager C straps (on our two "best" cameras). The Voyagers (C for curved and S for straight) don't adjust for length. The Transporter will (more so without the pad), and the Speedster will adjust some. The Voyagers and Transporter include a small pouch for two memory cards; I'm finally learning to use these well.

I really like the products. I think the Voyager C is actually best if you keep the camera around your neck; it doesn't stay on my (sloped) shoulders well.

perk1961
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
hey try the blackrapid R strap. it slings over your shoulder and can hang by your hand so you could grab it quickly. very adjustable and carries extre cf cards or a phone and other small stuff

RonG
08-26-2009, 03:50 PM
I have two suggestions for you.

The first is my favorite, I've recently purchased a Black Rapid RS-1 and an RS-4 camera strap and they are da bomb; plus I can link the two together and easily cover a football game with two cameras and neither is around my neck. It is quickly detachable and very strong.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/ ("http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/rs-4/)

The next is the Up strap company. I have no experience with this strap personally but it technically fits your needs except for the QD links still attached to the camera (annoying I would think).

http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=QR ("http://upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=QR)

lculpin
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
I'm a fan of both of these products as well. For my needs, though, I don't like having a camera strap across my chest as if I'm only shooting with one camera then I probably have a bag (currently the Shootsac, which I REALLY like in some ways and kinda don't in others) across my chest, so the camera needs to stay by my side when I'm not using it. For that reason I've got an Upstrap when I'm using a single camera and I use a BlackRapid Double Strap when I'm using two (primarily for weddings, though I'll switch back to one camera when I'm doing the 'formals' etc). I don't personally have a QR version of the Upstrap, I find the little clips to be annoying as hell :P so I either wrap an elastic around the strap when I'm shooting with the Double Strap or just take it off entirely.

If I KNEW I was only going to use one lens on a single camera then I'd probably go for an R Strap as well, but I usually like to keep my options open :) BlackRapid products really are great though, totally work as advertised and they're definately quick to release. The only other thing is that you need to secure them via the tripod socket, so if you're used to keeping QR tripod plates on your camera(s) or lens mounts (I am) then you're not really able to do that any more (some people hang their cameras by their Manfrotto QR plates on the R straps apparently but I'm not that brave ;) )

Mark Elberson
11-09-2009, 05:44 PM
I finally pulled the trigger on aBlack Rapid RS-4 Camera Strap. I just got it today so I haven't had a chance to take it out in the wild but here are some quick observations:

1) It's comfortable. This feels so much better than my standard Canon neck strap. The weight is distributed much more evenly and there's an actual pad on the strap.
2) I understand why "Rapid" is in the name. My camera goes from hip to ready-to-shoot in an instant and the best partis that the strap stays out of your way. If you have ever used your Canon strap in a cross-chested fashion then you've probably had to deal with, the strap blocking the view finder or there not being enough slack. The Black Rapid RS-4 slides effortlessly from one position to another.
3) A personal favorite, only one connection to the camera and it quickly screws on and off. Once it's off, it's off; there are no dangling pieces that will later re-connect to the strap.

So that's it for now. Once I take it for a proper test spin I'll report back but for now the only complaint I have is the price tag! $54 is a little steep but if it makes carrying your camera that much more pleasurable then it will be worth it :-)

Julius
11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Tried the BlackRapid R strap....switched to the Spider Holster....now using the Cotton Carrier which is fantastic.