PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions in regard to a flash

donnman
08-27-2009, 08:03 AM
I currently own the canon XSi and just purchased a couple of new lenses. Up until now I have been fine with the compact flash built into the camera. But, now that I have upgraded to a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens I will be shooting more at night for football games. Im sure that the built in flash will not be of much use for these types of shots.

My question is what is the suggested lens for sports? I mostly shoot my kids high school teams which include football, baseball, swimming, and cheerleading. So I will be both inside and outside and in many cases with poor lighting.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Don

hotsecretary
08-27-2009, 10:03 AM
It's all about budget IMO.

I wanted a flash and bought the best as everyone suggested, it's something you'll use for years to come. But if you plan on using it very infrequently and budget is a constraint, you can go for less.

Also look out for them used.

Dallasphotog
08-27-2009, 10:12 AM
You can't go wrong with the 580EX II or 430 EX II. I have both and use them constanly for portrait work.

For sports, you may find a variety of rules about what and where you can use flash. Baseball, softball, basketball and volleyball all have some sortof flash restrictions in my area. To make things more difficult, you may also get various "site" restrictions and even some coaches have preferences thay may express...

Rodger
08-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I recently bought a 430EXII. It's proved invaluable in so many situations.

My only advice, don't skimp out and get something that doesn't have a rotating/pivoting flash head.

-Rodger

Chuck Lee
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
My question is what is the suggested lens for sports?

I believe you meant "flash" not lens.

Recycle time is most important. I would not hesitate to go with a 430 EXII 0r 580 EXII.

Maybe RonG can exbound more on this topic. The photo he posted here ("/forums/t/1964.aspx)is a fantastic example not only of a sharp lens but the use of sportsflash. He is however taking advantage of the electronic shutter and 1/500th sync speed capability of the 1D. I think it's interesting to note the 8.5fps. Ron, was the flash firing on every frame?

donnman
08-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Chuck - Yes I mis-typed "lens" when I meant flash.

Not sure at all what to buy here? As I am new to this type of camera, all I am used to is the included pop-up flash. Not sure on restrictions for football photos, but I'm sure there are probably restrictions for flash in a gym. This is why I am purchasing the 70-200mm f/2.8 non IS (cant afford the IS). Im also thinking of getting the 100mm lens as well.

I will have sideline access for the football games so I'm assuming I will need a flash better than the pop-up. I have seen others taking night shots with a flash but they all seem to have covers of some type over their flash? Almost like a diffuser I suppose.

Seems the concensus here is the 430EXll or the 580EXll.

Sorry to sound like so a newbie.....But I am, lol.

hotsecretary
08-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh and I spent the extra and bought the 580EX II since it's weather sealed... and if I know it'll last forever.

Ehcalum
08-27-2009, 01:50 PM
I personally almost rarely use TTL and as such, I use a 540EZ. I also have a Vivitar 385HV and a sunpak manual flash.

eTTL is great, but I personally find that it doesn't give me the look I want and I hate having to fiddle with both on flash compensation and in camera flash comp. The 540EZ is also easily under $100 used.

clemmb
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Im also thinking of getting the 100mm lens as well.

The 100 is a great choice. The shot below was the 100 f2.0 at 8PM no flash.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0011b.jpg

I have also used it for basketball with no flash with good results.

/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.24.67/IMG_5F00_0024.jpg

I have the 580EX and EXII. I have had problems with the quick lock on the EXII. It sometimes looses connection and therefore does not fire. Another flash recommendation from shootsmarter.com is the Metz mecablitz 58 AF-1. It has the same power as the canon 580EXII for less money. Does anyone have experience with this Metz flash?

Mark

RonG
08-27-2009, 02:30 PM
I would suggest a monopod, iso 3200 and Noise Ninja as your primary tools to accompany your camera and 70-200mm f2.8 lens. I know Baseball and swimming do not allow flash and it is case by case for football. I personally use 580ex II flashes and they do very well for cheerleading and football games.

peety3
08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
For the events where you can use flash, the 580EX II is a very smart choice in my opinion. (Nearly) silent recycle, and the ability to take an external battery pack.

That said, the rules of physics, specifically how light falls off with distance, will lead to poorly lit shots in almost all cases. There's a reason that gym lights are overhead, football lights are high up above the fans, etc.