PDA

View Full Version : Sony Alpha 850 - The $1999 Full Frame

crosbyharbison
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
What do you guys think about the new sony option?

"So, what about the A850? What does it give up compared to the A900? The answer is surprisingly little. The frame rate is reduced from 5 FPS to 3FPS, the viewfinder shows 98% coverage rather than 100%, there is a very slight difference to the body's metal finish, and the $30 remote control that comes with the A900 is an optional extra with the A850.

That's about it!"

--http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/alpha-850.shtml ("http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/alpha-850.shtml)

mattsartin
08-27-2009, 08:31 PM
i think i'll pay extra for a 5D Mark II

Mark Elberson
08-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow! I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire. I'd love a Canon full frame for ~$2k

Daniel Browing,

Have there been recent efficiencies discovered in the sensor manufacturing process? Is this camera a "loss leader". If Sony can do it can Canon and Nikon as well?

crosbyharbison
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow! I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire. I'd love a Canon full frame for ~$2k

Well thats the hope for a "Canon 7D"

crosbyharbison
08-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Well thats the hope for a "Canon 7D"

Colin
08-27-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't want another full frame camera at 3 FPS.

Daniel Browning
08-28-2009, 12:13 AM

Me too! I hope this is the beginning of a major price war. When all three of the big boys were selling at *exactly* $2,700, it seemed like hope for lower prices was thin. This is a breath of fresh air!

Have there been recent efficiencies discovered in the sensor manufacturing process?

That would be my guess.

Is this camera a "loss leader"?

It's possible.

If Sony can do it can Canon and Nikon as well?

Nikon for sure. Sony and Nikon collaborate on the sensor design, then Sony fabs it. I'd like to think that Canon will match their success (or at least cut their margins to match).

Jarhead5811
08-28-2009, 12:26 AM
I hope that in the spirit of competition that Canon returns fire.My thoughts exactly.

Chuck Lee
08-28-2009, 02:33 AM

That would have been the 7D. But Canon has decided (we'll know for sure Teusday) to go APS-C for this new 7D body. So, if they follow the trend there are two more places to go. They could in six months or so release a 3D which obviously screems for full frame and a more expensive and robust support system than the 5DMkII. I'd say 3500 USD would be about right for a 3D. Now, in the film line there was also theElan 7 followed later by an Elan 7N. So, I guess it's possible depending on the response to the new APS-C 7D to manufacture a 7Ds with a FF sensorat amore economical price point say 6-12 months down the road. with the 5D MkII selling like hot cakes even a year later I would not expect to see another intermediate XD FF body for at least 12 months. It appears that the 1D MKIV will be released in the spring and I'm sure there will be a 1Ds MKIV somewhere 6 months behind that. So, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a FF with a price point lower than the 5D MkII from Canon. With confirmation of the APS-C 7D next week my hopes for a more econmical FF with all the modern LCD screens, menus,bells and whistles will have to wait a while longer.

I guess I just have to put up with this old crappy 5D for another year. [:'(]

Now just what were they shooting with five years ago?......[:O].......[:P]

Sean Setters
08-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Wait.....I thought photography started with the 5D? Was I misinformed?

;-)

Chuck Lee
08-28-2009, 08:20 AM
LOL........No, that's when "Digital" Photography began.

It's the Commodore 64 of FF digital cameras!!..........[Y]

Benjamin
08-28-2009, 11:51 AM
That would have been the 7D. But Canon has decided (we'll know for sure Teusday) to go APS-C for this new 7D body.
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I think Canon is head to head with Nikon now in the consumer/prosumer categrey. The 7D seems to be the D300s killer, and it seems to do the job fine according to the rumors.

Canon XS -- Nikon D3000

Canon T1i -- Nikon D5000

Canon 50D -- Nikon D90

Canon 7D -- Nikon D300s

So now my wish goes to the next 5D model, it's better to have a more capable AF and faster speeds.

Benjamin
08-28-2009, 12:03 PM
"So, what about the A850?
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I'd like to see another price drop on the FF cameras so they become more affordable. I don't care who makes the leap first, but I'm happy to see that everyone has a FF camera in hand one day. Personally I'm not interested in a very low end FF camera for relatively cheap price (regardless brand). What I want is a reasonably priced FF camera which does not leave too many disappointments! I'd like to buy a 5D (MKIII) with better AF and faster responding speed. I'd like to buy a 1D IV if it's FF and it has really low noise and lightning fast speed. If I'm looking at the 7D I'll probably end up with the 50D instead and I'm not buying a 1Ds for over $8000.

That is just me.

adam
08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Keep in mind that the Sony-branded Zeiss glass is crazy expensive, compared to similar Canon L lenses...

ShutterbugJohan
08-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Keep in mind that the Sony-branded Zeiss glass is crazy expensive, compared to similar Canon L lenses...

Most of Sony's glass is more expensive than the Canon equivalents. Maybe that is why they can sell the Alpha 850 so cheaply--they'll recover what they lost by selling the Alpha 850 buyer a bunch of lenses.

Colin
08-31-2009, 03:31 AM
LOL........No, that's when "Digital" Photography began.

It's the Commodore 64 of FF digital cameras!!..........
<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Geez guys! My 5D is my state of the art technology! I can't afford to get modern, so just let me feel like I am!