PDA

View Full Version : Strobing First Tries

Rodger
09-07-2009, 09:44 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2573/3882771658_5bc7b15d68.jpg ("http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodgerobley/3882771658/)

First Strobist attempt. Shot all quick style after school a few days ago. My lighting kit came a few days ago and I honestly don't think I've left home without cause you never know who might want a portrait taken with off camera flash? haha. I know there are plenty of things "wrong" with this, like no ambient/flash balance, but it was a spur of the moment shot taken with totally new gear to me. Give me time, I'll learn :) haha. I believe it was a 430 EXII at 1/4 power shot through a Wescot 43" white satin umbrella. Triggered via Cactus V2s system. Camera left and above subject.

Oh I also was just given an old macbook with LR 2 and CS4. A huge advance from DPP and CS1 haha. I got alottt of learning ahead of me. :D (If only I went after school work with the same drive as photography.. *sigh*)

Sean Setters
09-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I really like it! The flash is optimally positioned as both cheeks are well illuminated. I'd adjust the color balance to make it a bit warmer (actually, I'm not sure absolutely sure about that--I'm viewing this from my girlfriend's laptop and it shows everything a bit cooler than it should in my opinion), but other than that I think it's a very good shot.

crosbyharbison
09-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I kind of astonsihed you carry that much gear with you everywhere. The best gear is the gear you have with you :D

I'd work on composition.

Rodger
09-08-2009, 12:22 AM
I kind of astonsihed you carry that much gear with you everywhere.

I exaggerated a bitt lol ;)

But my mom teaches at the school I go to, so it's no hassle to throw a camera bag and a light bag in the trunk of the car.

I agree, composition could use some work.

Thanks for the replies and insight guys!

-Rodger

clemmb
09-08-2009, 01:02 AM
I like it. For a first attempt it is great. Much better than my first attempt. It would be great to get her looking at you for some catch lights.

Mark

al mcb
09-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Hi good start

Few things , main is that is looks a little
flat ..bump you levels a touch and the black hair blends into the
shoulder/background and teh catch lights

AL