PDA

View Full Version : Canon VS. Nikon

Emma
09-08-2009, 07:32 PM
I want to know you opinions on which Camera you prefer and why.... Nikon Vs Canon (feel free to add in another brand like olympus i just figured those were the top two)

Thanks!

alexniedra
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Which one is better? I'm not quite sure, but I really like the overall feel of Canon's lineup. The reason I shoot Canon isbecause my parents bought their first DSLR, a Rebel Xti, before I bought myself a 40D.

Sort of funny, I was asked to shoot with a friend's D300 once, and I couldn't do a thing - It was as if everything was in a different language to me. I hesitantly turned the dial to "P" with shame...[:)]

clemmb
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I picked up a Nikon about 5 years ago. I thought it felt more comfortable in my hand and I like the placement of the controls better. The front dial is below the shutter button and the back dial is where the AF point selection button is on the canon. This just seemed easier to use for me. I went with the canon because at the time it had 8MP for less than $1,000 and the canon has better optics across the whole lineup. I love my 5D and canon lenses and glad I went this route.

Mark

hotsecretary
09-08-2009, 08:17 PM
My first Digital Camera was a S100.. eventually moved up to a G2 as I was enjoying photography more and more.
Took a break and then eventually dropped the $$ for my DSLR and bought a 40D.

Sold my 40D recently and now I have a big sexy L lens and no body LOL! But picking up a 5DII hopefully in the next week or two.

Oh.. reason for buying, S100 was my first and really liked the Canon IQ even then ;) And the menus/ergo feel was right for me.

flaminfury
09-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Sometimes it just comes down to what you're using to using. I started out using an xti and now with my 5D2 there are no major differences in controls and all and so i've come to become very comfortable with the whole canon layout of controls and the overall feel to their cameras. I've tried using a nikon D700 before and it took me a little while to figure out what did what. It felt very solid and i liked that feeling, much better than how my old xti felt in my hands haha

bob williams
09-08-2009, 10:05 PM
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Emma,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] That&rsquo;s a good question and one that I wrestled with a couple of years ago and there were several non-technical reasons I went with Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]First,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I must blame a good portion of my Canon enthusiasm on Bryan Carnathan.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Yes Bryan, It&rsquo;s your fault.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] When I started researching,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I found Bryan&rsquo;s website and could definitely see his enthusiasm for this equipment, yet he didn&rsquo;t mind telling you if there were problems with any specific lens, body or accessory.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Second:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Come Sunday,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] watch a pro football game,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] you&rsquo;ll see a bunch of big white (Canon) Lenses, far more of these than Nikon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Also, <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]watch the National Geographic Channel or go to their website,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] you&rsquo;ll notice much of the same.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Since, I have been out of the hobby for 30 years,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I didn&rsquo;t know enough at that time to understand much of the technical aspects of the equipment or the reviews,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] so I tended to watch the pro&rsquo;s and see what they were using&mdash;Just to get a gut feeling.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Third:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Canon equipment seems to be a much more integrated system&mdash;more so than Nikon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Canon also seems to have better lens line-up.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]At this point I decided to buy a Canon <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]XTI,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] and subsequently bought a two year old (rental) 100-400L lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] When I got the lens I thought I had focusing problems with it, so I sent it to Canon for repair.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] They found some adjustment problems with it, repaired it, had it back to me in a week, and best of all the repair was <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]free[/b]----Now that is customer service.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The lens has worked like a champ ever since.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]A few months ago I upgraded to a 50D, added to my lens and accessory lineup and haven&rsquo;t regretted a single purchase.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]So,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] those are my non-technical reasons for going Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] From the technical aspect---well,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Nikon wouldn&rsquo;t be in business if they weren&rsquo;t competitive on some level with Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] There are hundreds of reviews and comparisons of comparable models and opinions swing both ways. Honestly , go with your gut------But watch the football game first.
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<o:p><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o:p>
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Good Luck,
<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Bob

Cory
09-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Several years ago (300D release) I looked around at all the Camera's and compared non-edited photographs resulting from that various Digi SLR's and like the results the Canon's were getting the most.... Now days, it's cause I have a bunch of Canon lenses first and foremost.

If I made my living off of photography I'd at least take a look at who is 'currently' the best, but it would have to be fairly clear cut for me to switch.

BCalkins
09-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I started out with a Canon film camera for no reason in particular at the age of 12. When I switched to the EOS system I stuck with Canon as their lens based focusing seemed ahead of the game compared to the body focusing.

When I went digital I stuck with Canon as the 300D was the right price at the right time. Now I have a 40D and none of the lenses I started out with, and am still happy with Canon. I've had a bit of the grass is greener feeling from online reviews, but whena friend got a Pentax K10D I was surprised to find it felt slow and unrepsonsive, and I had a similar reaction to a Nikon body in terms of control layout. There is a lot of just going with what you are familiar with, I think. There is a learning curve to any system, and it takes time to get familiar with the capabilities.

I think any of the systems for Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Nikon that are comparable in price will produce comparable results. I would HIGHLY recommend trying it out in your hands - there is a big difference between bodies both in the same brand and between brands. Different people like different things, and one person's logical button layout is another's nightmare. Some love compact size, others love a big viewfinder.

crosbyharbison
09-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Nikon has a very logical zoom lens lineup:

12-24 2.8

24-70 2.8

70-200 2.8

200-400 f/4

but canon's lenses generally are less expensive. I think you save some 2000 dollars by getting the canon 400 f/2.8 over the nikon.

Maleko
09-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Well, I went with Canon as my Brother in law had a 30D, my mate has a 5D soI went with what I saw overall! Canon SEEM more popular (that may just be me).
As someone else put, they have a better integrated system than Nikon, when I see Nikon users, the majority of the time its with a non Nikon lens, but with Canon, 98% of the time I see a canon lens attached!

Sinh Nhut Nguyen
09-09-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm not joking. I actually flipped a quarter, head for Nikon and tail for Canon. Well, tail it was. I truly believe Nikon and Canon are as good as the other, I vowed to myself that once I got a camera I'd try to master it and learn about its weaknesses and strengths. There are moments that I envy the autofocus of the Nikon D300, but that just makes me work harder on my 40D and also the D300 was $500 more than the 40D. [:)]

Jorundr-Jorgensen
09-09-2009, 08:47 AM
I started out with Canon and sticked with it. But this alone didn't deside for me what worked better, my father in law first owned the D40 then a D60 and now he's got a D300, all great cameras. I started with a 400D then the 40D and now I'm working mainly with a 5D II. I've worked with all those nikons, there great cameras, sure, and I'm really can't say anymore which are "better or worse".

So in the end it really depents on the little thingies, and this made me stick to Canon. Besides, Nikon doesn't look by far as dashing a Canon doese. ;)

Dallasphotog
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Both companies make good equipment and you won't have made a huge mistake by choosing either brand. You will find each brand and each camera model will do some things better than others. I started with Canon in 1981 with an AE-1 and now have 4 Canon digital bodies at home and three at work. With a hugeinvestment in lenses, I would never really consider changing systems.

I do think Canon has some advantages over Nikon in IQ, especially with the 1Ds MKIII andthe 5D MKII. As I've mentioned a lot on this forum, the 5D MKII simply producesamazing RAW files.

Keith B
09-09-2009, 05:16 PM
My first SLR was a Pentax K1000. Then I moved to a Canon EOS 650 because it had the built in pop-up flash. I didn't know much about it and just bought it.I hated that camera, it was pretty much a point and shoot SLR. So then I jumped on the Nikon band wagon. I bought the Nikon N4004 which was a pretty decent camera. I hit tough times sold the Nikon went back to the K1000. A couple years later the meter went in that so I bought a Nikon FM10. Which was fine for what it was.

Digital rolled in I bought a Fuji Finepix 2300 which was awful, but hated the Nikon Coolpix twisty thing. Then Nikon came out with the Coolpix 5000 I thought it was interesting enough so I bought it. Still disappointed, but it was okay. So when I was ready for a DSLR I was hesitant to go Nikon but the the Rebels felt pretty small and fragile in my hands and the 30D seemed a little over priced (I was under the MP higher is better spell). So I was going to go with Nikon D80. Then I went into the store and the 40D was there and it just seemed right so there I went.

Rodger
09-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Come Sunday,<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"] watch a pro football game,<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"] you&rsquo;ll see a bunch of big white (Canon) Lenses, far more of these than Nikon.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"] Also, <span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"]watch the National Geographic Channel or go to their website,<span style="mso-spacerun:yes;"] you&rsquo;ll notice much of the same.

Can't argue with that. Browse through a photo issue of TWSnow magazine and most of the shooters they interview list Canon 1 series bodies as primary bodies.

However, look up Chase Jarvis or Joe McnNally, and it's always Nikon.. Hmm..

I had a chance to talk to the head of PSU's photo department awhile ago and he told me that typically Canon has better AF performance, while Nikon has better off camera lighting options. Although he did say the gap has closed considerably.

I went Canon because I asked a friend what body to start with and he led me to a 20D.

-Rodger

Oren
09-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Very nice and interesting stories there Keith and Nate [;)]

Steve Combs
09-09-2009, 07:15 PM
My Canon vs Nikon saga started MANY, MANY (WAAAY TOOO MANY) years ago... Back in 1965 I used a Nikon for some sports shooting (I was the high school newspaper photographer and we had a Nikon [don't remember the model] and a Graflex Speed Graphic for cameras). First, the Nikon lenses at that time (and I see some of them still do) had the aperture ring right next to the body of the camera and my big, fat fingers had problems adjusting it! Second, the other photographer forgot (!) to tell me that the camera had problems with it's shutter... It'd work some times and not others (if it worked, it worked for a full roll of film, if not, well, not!). I took 3 rolls of film @ a football game and got nuttin'! Left a bad taste in my mouth for Nikon! Probably not deserved, but... I concentrated on the Speed Graphic from then on! Got some great pictures and really, really learned the technical aspects of photography (not the artistic ones, but, hey).

When I purchased my OWN 35mm camera I got a Canon Ftb which I used for many, many years! Didn't stop using it until I bought an A1 in '80. Gave the Ftb to my little brother then and he used it for years (until he broke it!)...

Recently I decided to go beyond the "point and shoot" cameras (had a Fuji FinePix 3800, then a Canon A540, then a Canon S5-IS) and get back into semi-serious photography and purchased a 40D with the 28-135 kit lens. Never looked back again! Nikon makes some great cameras, but I've had a soft spot for Canon for all of my adult life! Recently purchased a 70-200 F4.0L and am now saving up for a 10-22 and a 580 EX II flash! The problem with this stuff is you spend WAAAY too much $$$, but I have fun and that's what matters!

Hope this provides, at least, some insight into why SOME people by certain gear!

bob williams
09-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Yo Rodger, You are absolutely correct.I occasionally take online photo courses from PPSOP and some of my favorite photographers/teachers shoot with Nikon. The funny thing is that thier partners shoot with Canon. I would love to hear some of thier "beer" conversations regarding equipment. I suppose the real issue is a real artist will make art, regardless of thetype of paintbrush they use.

PS. the two BW photos that you have on your web page are outstanding----Nice work!!!!!!!----Especially your title piece.

Bob

Rodger
09-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks Bob!

Funny thing about the title picture is that I took it moments before rushing to the SATs this past June. That picture almost made me late haha. Worth it? Without a doubt! haha.

I agree. In the end, it's the shooter that makes the picture, not the camera.

Thanks again.

-Rodger

bob williams
09-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Emma, as mentioned before I am a die hard Canon fan. But Roger just reminded me that its not the equipment but the artist that really matters. To make my point, please take a look at what Tom Kirkendahl can do with a $30 Holga, medium format film Camera (Fixed Lens)

http://www.kirkendall-spring.com/ ("http://www.kirkendall-spring.com/)

http://www.7photographyquestions.com/2009/07/p53-show-notes-for-holga-camera----an-interview-with-tom-kir.html ("http://www.7photographyquestions.com/2009/07/p53-show-notes-for-holga-camera----an-interview-with-tom-kir.html)

Its humbling.

Bob

clemmb
09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
take a look at what Tom Kirkendahl can do with a $30 Holga, medium format film Camera (Fixed Lens)
<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

WOW!

Makes me want to break out my Yashica MAT 124G

Mark

henytran
09-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Ah the epic debate.

Whenever someone asks me about this I tell them to go out to a camera store and hold the different brands. When I was in the market for a DSLR I played around with the cameras a lot and I found that the Nikon was a little more comfortable in my hand but the Canon seemed much more logical and the shutter just felt more robust to me. I didn't care for the electronic feel of the Nikon at the time.

Bryan's site also drew me in with the allure of the L lens. I love big white lenses and unfortunately that drew me to Canon! I think that Nikon makes a great camera and like others there are days that I wish I had some Nikon equipment. At the end of the day though it's more the photographer than the camera. If it all boiled down to equipment I would spend a lot more money on my golf clubs and join the PGA tour!

Good luck with your decision making.